Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Needing to find a happy medium.

So, I had my surgery 3 months ago as on 10/28/2010. Since I started the pre op diet at 310 lbs. I am now at 281. That is about 29 lbs in 3 months. Now I have to say that the fact that I have gone down in pant size, bra size and waste size if good and I am happy that I did, but like with before the surgery, I am having an issue with eating and exercise. I do not tend to set myself up for success. I tend to just sabotage myself. I eat a lot of fast food and since I do not really have issues with food since the surgery I am eating everything. I am not exercising at all. I hate it some much and due to my job draining me daily and then going back to school ( and not really enjoying that), I have no time to exercise. I just want to lose this weight and I am truly wishing that I had gastric bypass. This slow loss is killing me. I just need some inspiration…not motivation…that is fleeting. I need to know that I did the right thing and what are successful people doing that I can do!

You have to reevaulate your whole situation. Eating a lot of fast food and no exercise won't help you at all in any way, shape, or form. The band isn't going to make you skinny, you are. McDonalds will keep you fat. Harsh reality, but none of us got here because we run daily and eat carrot sticks. Just because you can eat everything doesn't mean you should. I could go and eat anything I wanted too, but I don't. I'm not better than anyone else, but I also didn't go through the process of surgery to then blow it on burgers and fries just because I could. You need some help with the mental aspect of this journey. You made it through the physical part, now get some help with the motivation and issues you have with food or you will claim that the LapBand doesn't work. A hammer does pick itself up and pound nails, your band doesn't magically make you thin. You have to work at it. Call your surgeon and ask for names of therapists and support groups.

Good luck,

Melissa

Isn't this the hardest part about life... we often know what to do and how to do it, but simply don't.

They call this part bandsters hell for a reason... it is difficult and frusterating because you are at where you were before the surgery. but, now we have more guilt because we feel like we made a mistake and our time/money was waisted.

The best advice is to just stay on the right path. You knew going into this that this surgery was not a magic bullet and going to fix all of your problems. Everything worth achieving in life takes ambition and sacrifice.

You made the right choice in having the surgery, now we need to just take more and more babysteps in making right choices. my best advice is to slowly switch from your old ways if you cant quit cold turkey...

things i did/and am doing

Food: i work alot and find it hard to make meals and not eat fast food... If its hard to stay away from fast foods then alter what you are getting there... at first instead of getting a hamburger get a grilled chicken sandwich and fries... and after you feel comfortable start cutting out the fries.

Working out: start out with little steps... ie, take the stairs instead of the elevator... and then try walking around the neighborhood for 30 minutes instead of watching the extra re-runs of 2and a half men... then actually start going to the gym...

Stick with it, you made the first big step... dont quit on the journey now. Dont regret not having bypass, this is far more healthy in the long run especially for younger people. My parents both had the bypass and they have to take LOTS of pills several times a day to supplement their diets. And they still strugle with dieting every day like i do. After having the lapband and seeing both of my parents have bypass i can honestly tell you that its not about the procedure you had, its about your personal dedication and devotion to improving your life.

Good luck! Keep pressing on!

Edited by Trinity

First of all, 30 pounds in 3 months is not "slow loss." If you were to continue at your present rate, you'd be down 120 pounds in a year. That is huge.

Secondly, you do realize that if you had gastric bypass, it would require that you make significant dietary changes (far more stringent than demanded by the band), right? And that exercise would be recommended, too?

You are losing well. You likely could lose far more effectively, however, if you were to adopt some healthier habits.

The band necessitates changes in eating and exercise. You'd have to make these changes with any bariatric surgery--or any weight loss program. There are a lot of different ways to eat postop, so what works for me might not be for you. But I lose best when I get 80-100 grams of protein/day, <50 grams of net carb, and 800-900 calories. I exercise daily, usually twice. I track my food at fitday.com to make sure I meet my body's nutrient needs, and I take a good bariatric Multivitamin. I use a BodyBugg (these days, just periodically--sort of as a checkup) to make sure that my exercise intensity is adequate.

We all have busy lives. You can find time to exercise. Make it a priority. Tell yourself that fast food is not an option, or that it's only an option X times per week, or that, when you go to a fast food restaurant, you will choose foods differently. (You can eat out without blowing anything; I do it several times a week.)

What does you doctor recommend for postop eating? Get back to basics, and follow the "rules." Sure, allow yourself indulgences now and then--that's where 'happy medium" comes in.

But you really have to accept that, no matter what route you take, BIG changes are needed, and only YOU can make them. No band, no bypass--nothing--can do it for you.

Until I had good restriction, I had a terrible time resisting fast food too. It was very depressing and demoralizing. I felt proper restriction at 7.5 CCs in a 10 CC band. Now I physically can't finish even a small burger.

But you know what else happened? Some of that terrible obsession has gone away. My doc says it's a hormonal thing that can happen after WLS. He says he hears it all the time.

It's not 100% and I can still choose to sabotage myself if I really want to fail... Ultimately, I have to be careful I'm getting good nutrition. I eat healthy Snacks between meals so hunger doesn't impair my judgment. And exercise really helps with my mood and motivation, so I go to the gym.

But good restriction makes it a whole lot easier!

Hang in there and good luck to you.

First of all, 30 pounds in 3 months is not "slow loss." If you were to continue at your present rate, you'd be down 120 pounds in a year. That is huge.

Secondly, you do realize that if you had gastric bypass, it would require that you make significant dietary changes (far more stringent than demanded by the band), right? And that exercise would be recommended, too?

You are losing well. You likely could lose far more effectively, however, if you were to adopt some healthier habits.

The band necessitates changes in eating and exercise. You'd have to make these changes with any bariatric surgery--or any weight loss program. There are a lot of different ways to eat postop, so what works for me might not be for you. But I lose best when I get 80-100 grams of protein/day, <50 grams of net carb, and 800-900 calories. I exercise daily, usually twice. I track my food at fitday.com to make sure I meet my body's nutrient needs, and I take a good bariatric Multivitamin. I use a BodyBugg (these days, just periodically--sort of as a checkup) to make sure that my exercise intensity is adequate.

We all have busy lives. You can find time to exercise. Make it a priority. Tell yourself that fast food is not an option, or that it's only an option X times per week, or that, when you go to a fast food restaurant, you will choose foods differently. (You can eat out without blowing anything; I do it several times a week.)

What does you doctor recommend for postop eating? Get back to basics, and follow the "rules." Sure, allow yourself indulgences now and then--that's where 'happy medium" comes in.

But you really have to accept that, no matter what route you take, BIG changes are needed, and only YOU can make them. No band, no bypass--nothing--can do it for you.

That is what I was going to say! 10 pounds a month is fantastic! You don;t want to loose any more than that, or else you will get wrinkly and saggy! I say "patience Prudence"!

We know all to well how hard this journey is!!!!:) We are all coming from the same place (obesity)

I am always discovering foods that i CAN eat without making myself sick which make this all the harder. I'm sure I could eat that McRib sandwich and a few fries if I wanted to but I made a decision before surgery that I had had enough. Enough watching my clothes get toooooo tight :scared2:and enough sitting on the side of the pool because I was tooooo embarrassed :rolleyes: to wear shorts (let alone a swim suit) and tired of just feeling like I was busting out of my skin while sitting on the couch.

What is really scary is, how do you think you will feel in a couple more months when your body is not getting enough nutrients/protein to keep your hair from falling out or when your complexion starts to lose it's color and you start looking ill.

You have a wonderful tool!!! Some people who so desperately need it cant even get it. Don't let your chance to make yourself healthy go without a fight!!!! You are worth more than all that fast food. Take advantage of this and make it work for you. It's not just about losing weight, It's about getting healthy :wub: