Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 2010 Bandsters - post op

Just trying to get my ticker into my posts, here we go, Hope it works.

weight.png

Heh got mine up too. In reponse to an earlier post though, the first couple of nights was very hard to sleep as the surgery gas and just the pain alone makes that hard to do. Now though day 6 I feel 100% better. Trying to be creative with these liquids and get a schedule going but with my doctor I only have to do liquids the first week then I can have mash taters on monday! So very happy about that! lol

Ok. I was banded on the 1st and all went well. I was progressing really well until 3 days ago. I am not sure what it was that I did or didn't do but I have had extreme nausea since. I work graveyards and noticed that when I went back to work is when it started. I have had to go back to liquids because anything else makes the nausea worse. I keep thinking that something is wrong but my doctor says not to worry. I am so trired of being nauseous. :) If anyone has any advie I would love some. I can't imagine living on liquids for the rest of my life.

Not having such a great day... I am 2 weeks and 3 days post op and for some reason I just feel so depressed about eating. When I watch other people eat it just makes me nauseated, actually the site of food just makes me sick. Very little tastes good and it seems that my tastes have changed. My husband and I went out to dinner last night, I ordered but just played with my food and walked away feeling very dissatisfied. Maybe I am expecting to much too soon but it is just frustrating. I told my husband today I was just going to drink my Protein and forget about eating for a while because I am tired of the indigestion and gas pains. Hope someone can tell me these feelings are normal.. I don[t regret my decision to have surgery, just hoping this feeling passes soon.:)

Maybe you switched from liquids too soon. My doc told me that I cant stray from Protein Shakes, broth, SF Jello, hot tea & Water. He said I can move into the mushie stage (i.e. applesause, yougart, mash potatoes, etc) in 3-4 weeks.

I guess all doctor's are different. My doctor said I could eat anything small enough to fit down a little hole or just to make sure its chopped up. So since day 2 I've been eating SF Jello, SF Lowfat Yogurt, and SF Lowfat pudding. I haven't felt sick from it just full afterwards so I've been lucky than most from what I've been reading here. I'm only day 7 though so who knows what will happen when I finally start eating more solid pureed foods.

My dr said to have at least 4 shakes a day plus the other things like a Soup or pudding or yogurt. I am just not hungry though. I do not feel like eating, and it is so hard to force the food down my throat! So far today, all i ahve had are 2 shakes, and that is it! Maybe as I heal, I'll feel like eating more, but right now, I just can't do it!

Just trying to get my ticker into my posts, here we go, Hope it works.

weight.png

If you take the same code you copied into this post and copy it into your signature, which you can find in the User CP, it will be on every post.

Hi all,

I got my band on November 3rd. Everything has been going well so far. Today I get to start mushy food!! The only problems I have been having is making sure I get the 80oz of Water in every day, and making sure I take the 2 Vitamins, and 2 Calcium tables a day. This is a really a propblem for me, since they want me to have atleast 3 hours in between each pill.

Today I had 1/4 cup of egg beaters mxed with some cheese, and it did go down ok, since it took me like 30 min to eat it. But, I did get some chest pain till I was able to drink something an hour later. Now I am fine, and hungry again, just not sure what I am gonna eat.

I look forward to hearing from you all, and reading how you all are doing.

Donna

The one thing I notice is every doctor tells every patient something different about post op progression of diet. Mine told me to start solids after one week of liquids/full liquids. He told me to eat deli meats, chicken and fish and anything that was soft and mushy. I have found most meats are too dry unless added to Soups, deli meats like turkey and ham work pretty good, of course soft vegetables are good. Today I made some Chili with ground turkey, I ate 3 oz with a table spoon of shredded cheese and a teaspoon of sour cream. To make my self feel better today I went shopping and bought some new pants that actually fit. I thought if I bought something smaller it would help me get out of this funk. It was shocking but nice to realize I had already dropped 3 pants sizes. I don't think I really realized how hard this was going to be, I don't think I was totally honest with myself about my addiction to food and how much comfort I used to get with eating. Eating food is no longer something fun to do but a necessity to sustain life. So now that I am trying to psychoanalyze myself I guess I need to find some new healthy way to channel my energy. Hoping when I go back to doctor this week he lets me start exercising, currently I can walk but no cardio or weights. Trying to take this one day at a time and adjust to the new me. :)

Edited by LovetheNewMe
spelling

I have screwed up royally and need some encouragement to get back on track. I was banded Fri, Nov 5. I am now 9 days post op and I am already starting to eat everything in sight. The first 2 days I could not eat anything. I barely drank Water. By day 3, I was starving. I am supposed to be on a pureed diet on weeks 1/2, soft foods weeks 3/4 & regular foods by week 5. Well it all started on day 3 post op. I got hungry and ended up eating some KFC mashed potatoes and gravy. It hit the spot. Next morning I ended up eating one scrambled egg and I ate some more mashed potatoes with pureed chili. Was hungry not too long after I ate it. On day 7 I went to Super salad and ate lettuce, ham, cheese and egg drenched in low cal ranch and a slice of cantaloupe. All this while taking little sips of water. I felt like my stomach was about to burst but I was satisfied. Yesterday I was aout and about with my daughter all day and I had a baked potatoe and chili from wendy's for lunch and some flounder with mashed potatoes from red lobster. This morning I ate a ham, fat free cheddar cheese omelet. I had lost 10 lbs since surgery day and I gained 5 right back just this weekend. I don't know what to do. I am constantly hungry and I don't know what to do! I am not even supposed to be eating regular food yet!!! While I am happy that my stomach has tolerated all this food this short after surgery, I am concerned with not allowing my stomach enough time to heal and the feeling of being hungry all the time is very unnerving. Any advice?

I have screwed up royally and need some encouragement to get back on track. I was banded Fri, Nov 5. I am now 9 days post op and I am already starting to eat everything in sight. The first 2 days I could not eat anything. I barely drank Water. By day 3, I was starving. I am supposed to be on a pureed diet on weeks 1/2, soft foods weeks 3/4 & regular foods by week 5. Well it all started on day 3 post op. I got hungry and ended up eating some KFC mashed potatoes and gravy. It hit the spot. Next morning I ended up eating one scrambled egg and I ate some more mashed potatoes with pureed chili. Was hungry not too long after I ate it. On day 7 I went to Super salad and ate lettuce, ham, cheese and egg drenched in low cal ranch and a slice of cantaloupe. All this while taking little sips of Water. I felt like my stomach was about to burst but I was satisfied. Yesterday I was aout and about with my daughter all day and I had a baked potatoe and chili from wendy's for lunch and some flounder with mashed potatoes from red lobster. This morning I ate a ham, fat free cheddar cheese omelet. I had lost 10 lbs since surgery day and I gained 5 right back just this weekend. I don't know what to do. I am constantly hungry and I don't know what to do! I am not even supposed to be eating regular food yet!!! While I am happy that my stomach has tolerated all this food this short after surgery, I am concerned with not allowing my stomach enough time to heal and the feeling of being hungry all the time is very unnerving. Any advice?

I hadn't been banded yet, but based on what I have read, you are probably need more Protein. Protein is what is going to make you feel full. Also drinking with your food is not good. It is going to make the food leave your pouch faster and in turn make you hungry sooner.

Try to get that protein in and watch with you are eating. I would also call you dr and speak to the nutritionist.

I have screwed up royally and need some encouragement to get back on track. I was banded Fri, Nov 5. I am now 9 days post op and I am already starting to eat everything in sight. The first 2 days I could not eat anything. I barely drank Water. By day 3, I was starving. I am supposed to be on a pureed diet on weeks 1/2, soft foods weeks 3/4 & regular foods by week 5. Well it all started on day 3 post op. I got hungry and ended up eating some KFC mashed potatoes and gravy. It hit the spot. Next morning I ended up eating one scrambled egg and I ate some more mashed potatoes with pureed chili. Was hungry not too long after I ate it. On day 7 I went to Super salad and ate lettuce, ham, cheese and egg drenched in low cal ranch and a slice of cantaloupe. All this while taking little sips of Water. I felt like my stomach was about to burst but I was satisfied. Yesterday I was aout and about with my daughter all day and I had a baked potatoe and chili from wendy's for lunch and some flounder with mashed potatoes from red lobster. This morning I ate a ham, fat free cheddar cheese omelet. I had lost 10 lbs since surgery day and I gained 5 right back just this weekend. I don't know what to do. I am constantly hungry and I don't know what to do! I am not even supposed to be eating regular food yet!!! While I am happy that my stomach has tolerated all this food this short after surgery, I am concerned with not allowing my stomach enough time to heal and the feeling of being hungry all the time is very unnerving. Any advice?

I feel you, today i was just tasting things to see if I could chew and next thing I know is I decide myself to swith from 5 shakes a day to 3 a day and one can a Soup....so mad at myself...but the day is over and we can only started again 2morrow...I am going to follow the nutritionist plan to the tee...I know if i follow it I will not slip...just have to stay away from my triggers..i do not want this band to become useless before i even hit milestones. I want to know I made the right decision and I can do this. You can do this too!

My advice is not to drink water while eating. I think what your doing is washing out your pouch so it wont matter how much you eat because you won't feel full. It seems based on what your saying that you are eating way to much than you should and if you don't give yourself time to heal you may have a slippage. Not a doctor here just what I have learned from my own research. Us going through what we did and the decision we all made in doing this needs to be some sort of anchor as to why we cannot go back to the way we used to be. Even I find myself hungry at times and wanting a plate of burgers and fries. Then I glance over at my family photo and how much I had let myself go... Our change has to begin in our mind or we will eat our way out of our bands.

Edited by kaobserver