Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Read any good books lately?

Anwyn

I used to be a huge reader, but lately I've been reading nothing but trashy romance novels (that's not a dis - I love em!) and magazines. I can't remember the last time I had a "can't put it down" page turner. I received a $50 gift certificate to Borders for Christmas. Does anyone have any good book suggestions? I like sci/fi, romance, novels of any type, but I'll try anything if you really enjoyed it.

Ideas please... :)

I've read so many books I've actually started compiling a list with ratings for when someone asked for a recommendation. When you're as old as I am and have read as many books as I have it gets really hard to REMEMBER.

The list is very incomplete, but I'll attach it her tomorrow if you like.

Off the top of my head, if you haven't read Clavell's Shogun series--they're among my favorites, also Ann Rice's Witch books (I didn't like the vampire books), Philippa Gregory for historical, trashy romance (The Queen's fool), and Bryce COurtenay's "The Power of One" will keep you captivated and thinking for a long time.

Hmmm, I read Patricia Cornwell's latest while I was in hospital with my band. Very disappointing, really really lame ending. I hate detective stories where the ending is so stupid that you could never ever have pieced it together. It's like she got really lazy and just banged out another novel without even putting together a proper plot, relying on her name to sell it.

I just discovered Mark Gatiss, whose new The Vesuvius Club is quite enjoyable. But if I had $50 to spend at Borders I'd get The Historian by...um...what's her name. My favorite genre is probably historical fiction.

That's a great gift! I don't usually shop at Borders but was there last weekend. Just in the front FOYER we found gifts for several people, at prices I couldn't believe. There was a fantasy novella compilation in hardback for $5.00!!! Normally this sort of thing blows, but it included novellas by Neil Gaiman and George R.R. Martin, two authors I've wanted to read.

Anyway, other suggestions for authors I love are Elizabeth George, Anita Shreve, and probably my all-time favorite Larry McMurtry (I'll read anything with his name on it). Have you ever read Lonesome Dove? That's probably my favorite novel ever.

Have a blast!! :)

yeah i found patricia cornwall pretty lame i love her books, i also love jonnathon kellerman and his wife faye for a light read i like catherine cookson

Anyway, other suggestions for authors I love are Elizabeth George, Anita Shreve, and probably my all-time favorite Larry McMurtry (I'll read anything with his name on it). Have you ever read Lonesome Dove? That's probably my favorite novel ever :)

Oh yeah, McMurtry is gooood. Not exactly "upper" reading tho! There are some scenes from Comanche that will haunt me forever. Alex, have you read the Power of One? If you like McMurtry, you would really like that book.

But most of the books we've listed here I wouldn't buy at Borders. I'd get them at a used bookshop for 1/4 the price and cut them in 3 parts (bind w/ duct) to keep in my purse.

i just read Running with Scissors and Dry by augusten burroughs (sp) they were EXCELLENT...

my aunt gave them to me, they were so good as soon as i finished i mailed them to my friend to read.

Thanks for the great suggestions everybody! I'm off to Borders on Thursday. I love gift certificates. :(

I think I'm going to try Running with Scissors and Lonesome Dove. I'll let you know. We should have an LBT book club. :)

If you like historical fictions Jeffery Archer books are EXCELLENT!! The Prodigal Daughter, As the crow flies, Kane and Able, just to name a few.

I have also gotten hooked on Janet Evanovich novels. and also the alphabet murders..if you gumshoe type books. All good reads

Enjoy your certificate!!

Any of the books in the Gregory Maguire line. He tells the untold story behind the classics. Good one to start with is "Wicked" The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West." Who is the wicked witch? Why is she green? Why does she want the ruby slippers so much? Read the book! :(

These are a little older (three or four years) and just a bit obscure but I found them fascinating:

Peace Like a River (nope don't remember the author, and I give 'em away as soon as I read 'em)

The Lovely Bones (don't remember this author either, sheesh.)

Excellent surprising little stories about love. Familial love and the borders it breaks down.

Any of the books in the Gregory Maguire line. He tells the untold story behind the classics. Good one to start with is "Wicked" The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West." Who is the wicked witch? Why is she green? Why does she want the ruby slippers so much? Read the book! :(

I agree--"Wicked" is great!

The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold) good also, but sad.

Two other EXCELLENT reads... "The Sparrow" & "Children of God" by Mary Doria Russell. Really SURPRISING and unexpected plot lines...the author has a degree in anthropology and these are kind of anthropological science fiction with a philosophical thread.