Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here & looking for wisdom (long, I have a lot to say)

Hello everyone, I'm so glad I fell upon this site.

I'm currently going through the process for the insurance company and I'm into this since August 2010. THe insurance company changed its criteria a month into it so now I'm another month behind but I'm cool with that.

I'm looking at all this paperwork and appointments that I have to make and the diet after surgery etc and honestly, I'm quite overwhelmed and terrified at the same time.

I love to eat...and not that I love to eat so much that this is why I'm in need of surgery. If you look at my habits I don't think they are much worse than some skinny people but for some reason my bad habits love to stick to my butt and thighs. I'm not a huge over-eater, I don't endulge in a ton of sweets (although I do have my moments during that time of the month) but I do love my Mt. Dew and McDonalds Sweet Tea...yep, hard for me to give those up but I'm doing well. I'm afraid that I will lose my love of good food....I'm scared to give up food? ?? Does that make sense? I love the festivities around the holiday dinner, I love to cook etc. how did you deal with not being able to eat!!! I can't even imagine. At least on a diet you can splurge once in awhile.

I'm scared that maybe this is the reason I'm not ready for the surgery. I desperately want to be healthier (skinny is not my goal...healthy is my goal) because I don't want to be an embarrassement for my son, I want to be around to watch him grow up and I want my husband to be proud to call me his wife. he has NEVER said anything to me about my weight...this is all on my, but my son is 2 1/2 years old and we hardly have any pictures together because I'm embarrassed. Perhaps that should be motiviation enough to stop eating????

How did you deal with the changes? HOw did you adapt to 6 weeks of liquids, pureed food etc.? How do you adjust to a normal life with the lap band? How are the fills?

Does anyone regret this decision? I'm not looking for instant gratification and I know that by-pass isn't for me - - I don't want my insides re-routed - - I'm scared of the post-op life????? I told the doctor that I'm not looking to be a supermodel thin person. I'm looking to lose about 80 pounds and I'd be happy. If I could have a final weight of 155-170 that would be great. I don't want to have to shop in the chubby-chic stores anymore. Can you feel the port under your skin? That kinda freaks me out.

Advice, stories, words of wisdom are welcome. Thank you in advance.

You just have to make up your mind if you want to make a lifetime change in your eating habits. Having the band does not mean you can not enjoy a holiday meal it will just be a smaller portion than before.

I am 15 months out down 80 lbs. The diet of liquids to mushies to solids is not too bad and it is on a short amount of time, you can do it no problem if you want to, but I think you have to go into it with the mindset that this is your new lifestyle. It is not a diet . . . you can still eat a lot of things you did before you just will not eat as much or as often as you did before.

Getting the Band was one of the best things I have ever done for myself. Like everyone else I wish I would have done it sooner.

I suggest you go to a few support group meetings and talk and listen to people who have the band. It is different when you are talking to people face to face. I do not think on-line support is all anybody needs, in person support is a must I think (along with on-line support).

Also do all the research you can and then decide if you are up for the lifestyle change. But you could do it if you want to. We all have to decide how important food is to us.

Cheri

Welcome and good luck with your journey!

A couple of points.

You need to decide in your own mind if being healthy and a good parent for your child and all the other things you want are more important to you than the mountain dew and the ice tea. I know that sounds harsh, but its a mental process you need to go through if you wish to move ahead with this procedure.

If you are going to drink sugary drinks then the band will be of no use to you. Those are empty calories that don't provide you with any feeling of being full. Surely you can make the change from ice tea to something like crystal light that has zero calories.

About being able to eat and enjoy food: If the band is properly adjusted you should be able to eat almost anything, you'll just be eating a lot less of it than you did before. I often go out to eat with friends and have never had any problems. You can always find something you can eat. You just have smaller portions and eat more slowly than you did before.

One last point. You write that you are scared to give up good food. At this point you probebrly don't even know what good food is. I know I didn't before I had my surgery. I was a food/sugar adict just looking to get my next fix.

My tastes have changed so much now. After doing the liquid diet before and after the surgery and then slowly transitioning back into normal foods, my taste buds changed during the process. I try foods with new spices and flavors that I never had before, and I enjoy them. When I try to taste some of the sweet sugary things I used to eat, I find I can't even eat them. Regular iced tea is so sickly sweet, I have no idea how I ever drank that stuff.

You'll also find that once you are no longer starving hungry all the time, you'll actually enjoy trying new foods, and you'll be able to put the time and effort into experimenting with new and healthy foods.

Hope I answered some of your questions. Feel free to post any more you may have.

You're going to get a lot of great advice here. You've found an excellent resource. I'm still pre-op for a few more weeks, but this is what i've learned:

Keep reading, study everything you need to understand, and really think about what it is you're thinking of doing. Set a goal for yourself that's real and attainable, and keep that in mind. Everything else is just details you can adjust along the way.

It helped me to sort things into groups. There is the Pre-op time, which includes referrals, appointments, diets, and lab tests. It ends with a surgery approval and scheduled surgery date. That was one goal I set and achieved.

Second goal is surgery day. Getting ready for it, preparing what is needed to make it successful, having things ready for after surgery, and being mentally prepared for the exciting and fascinating rest of your life.

Post-op life is the next goal. Learning to live with the band, how to work it to your advantage, new diet, exercise, and learning how to listen to your body. Managing things to best advantage.

In between, ask questions here. There are a lot of folks here who are in all phases of this journey, and who are willing to share what they have learned.

Most important, know you are not alone.

Good luck!

Dave

In many ways, I like the fact that the approval process isn't immediate (maybe, I'm strange with that thought)...I think going through the process weeds out some people who aren't serious about the surgery. If you aren't willing to go through the process to get approved, then chances are that you won't be willing to do what you need to do after surgery.

In the end, although it took a few months, it really didn't seem to take that long for me to get approved for surgery and because I have gone through the process I am 100% convinced that this is the right thing for me to do and am very excited about the journey.

Like others have said, the LAP-BAND is a tool...in the end, we all have to do the work...

In many ways, I like the fact that the approval process isn't immediate (maybe, I'm strange with that thought)...I think going through the process weeds out some people who aren't serious about the surgery. If you aren't willing to go through the process to get approved, then chances are that you won't be willing to do what you need to do after surgery.

In the end, although it took a few months, it really didn't seem to take that long for me to get approved for surgery and because I have gone through the process I am 100% convinced that this is the right thing for me to do and am very excited about the journey.

Like others have said, the LAP-BAND®® is a tool...in the end, we all have to do the work...

Funny that you like the long process. I am probably one of the very few here that had the shortest time from my initial consultation to surgery- exactly two weeks! I met the surgeon on Sept 14, my insurance approved me the next morning, faster than anyone they have ever dealt with, and I was banded Sept 28. I read about the crazy long process that some people have to go through and it makes me cringe! I don't know if I could have done it that way. Then again I'm the kind of person who decides on something and wants it done yesterday.

I was briefly thinking like you about the foods I have to give up. I freaked out and then got over it real quick. Like others have said, you have to make your mind up if your son or the soda is more important. My kids mean more than another bowl of Pasta to me. I think once you are forced to cut the carbs in your pre op and post op diet, you will find that you can't stand them. Your body will never have a carb crash that makes you hungry again and that feels so awesome. About two weeks post op I tried to take a sip of Gatorade and thought I was going to slip into some diabetic coma right there at costco. It was sick. No more sugar for me. I don't crave it, don't like the smell of it and have no desire to let it stall my weight loss. The same goes for my beloved Pasta. I've deliberately been making it often for my kids to see how well I can stay away from it. It gives me a great feeling to dish it up, watch them eat it and dump the last few bites in the sink when they are done. I don't want it or need it. Its like quitting a drug habit. Of course we can all fall off the wagon and pull and Lindsay Lohan and end up in rehab, but you will find that your get a high off of having more power to say no to the food than the food has sway over you.

Melissa