Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone see the article about the Maura Kelly girl's Marie Claire blog where she says overweight people disgust her by simply walking across a room. Pretty ridiculous stuff. Her excuse-I was anorexic and have body issues. I am sorry for her, but because of her there are probably 100's of young girls who just developed anorexia or some other eating disorder. She should be ashamed!:sneaky:

:sneaky:

Oh wow...

I don't even know what to say to that...

I've been on diets since I was 7 years old...I've been a swimmer all my life and was the only overweight girl to make it to state championships...I ate the best food ever and I was still fat. - My large weight gain in my teens came after a period of when I'd lost a lot of weight from depression. When I couldn't lose all of the weight I put it all back on again and more.

This women is so sad...I feel so sorry for her. Attacking a group of people with blanket criticism like that is an obvious prejudice that could've stemmed from years and years of self-brain washing. She's the one with the problem.

Edited by WrenBird

Yes, I saw the article and wondered if it would be discussed in this forum. The article was bad, but did you read the comments??? It is amazing what people will say about other human beings.

There are people on this forum that have spent their entire life trying to lose the weight and keep it off but couldn't until they got the band. I think if those that criticize us for not just "pushing away from the table" (pre-band) should walk a mile in our shoes. If they did they would sit down and shut up!

Yes, I saw the article and wondered if it would be discussed in this forum. The article was bad, but did you read the comments??? It is amazing what people will say about other human beings.

There are people on this forum that have spent their entire life trying to lose the weight and keep it off but couldn't until they got the band. I think if those that criticize us for not just "pushing away from the table" (pre-band) should walk a mile in our shoes. If they did they would sit down and shut up!

Yeah. I agree with you, honey!

and they want to allow prejudice against overweight people because their claim is it's 'their choosing'...The thing is, not everyone's the same and when someone's different it pisses people off.

food addiction is as much a reality as gambling or alcohol addiction. Some people can't just 'stop' eating high calorie foods. They've proven that high calorie foods like fast food produce a very similar 'high' in some people as taking heroine or nicotine for other people. The difference is - FOOD IS LEGAL. It's everywhere. It's advertised like crazy!! Imagine waving a cigarette infront of someone who's addicted to nicotine. What do you think they're going to do? They['re going to want to smoke it. lol. We have it waved infront of our faces all day, everyday.

Fast food is on billboards, TV ads at dinner time and it's cheap! Heroine and nicotine are not. Obesity is the leading killer of people in Australia and they ban nicotine advertising over fast food advertising? What the heck?

This is why I think fast food advertising should be illegal to a certain extent. Before I was on my diet, I would watch TV and see a McDonalds ad and crave whatever food they were advertising for days. It would literally drive me bonkers until I went out and got it.

Now when I watch TV, I have to look away or turn it off when a junk food ad comes on. I was that bad, and I was addicted to refined sugar too - luckily that's sorted itself out.

Some people are overweight for medical reasons, some people eat emotionally and need treatment for it but it's not available, and some people just don't have the drive to lose weight that others do - but it's ok to classify them all in the same category!?

How is that ok?

Gah. My rant is over.

Edited by WrenBird

Consider the source...a woman who admits to anorexia and 'body issues' and a magazine that promotes an industry also known for serious eating disorders, unhealthy body images and shallowness.

I read a post in the comments section of an article about being overweight in America and one person said they had been a drug addict (and thin); and when they stopped the drugs they started to gain weight. They got more rude comments and judgements about being fat than they did being a drug addict. That is really both sad and petrifying. My being fat is unlikely to kill YOU; but your being high driving your car is pretty likely to kill ME.

Some people are just not right in the head. I once had a boss go off about fat people to her boss who is very vocal about having WLS! How could you be so stupid?! Her desire to demean overweight people was more than her desire to brownnose. Incredible.

This article was talked about on the cnn website...it was pretty darn funny that they brought up the whole Mike and Molly show and about them having sex....some of the comments were so stupid....things being said like "I don't want to see 2 fat people having sex on tv"....oh but its ok to give our kids body images that are mostly unattainable by the majority of the people in this world huh? Then we get upset when our kids are worried about being fat when they are 5 years old! I was a lucky kid, I was no overweight until I got older and had a baby later in life...however, even thought I was 'thinner' when I was younger, I still had a very low self esttem because I was never thin enough....it was a very trying time for me...well now this is MY time and when I get back to a comfortable weight, if people don't like it...too damn bad, I am going to live my life and enjoy the rest of the life that I have left. If one thing this past year has taught me is that you will never make anyone 100% happy with who you are, if its not weight it will be something else and when you really look into it, its usually a problem with them! Go out, enjoy your life, we are all on the right track, we are banded and we are fighters and we will be the ones that win in the end! (Sorry, I will get off of my soap box now!)

This just in: CNN posted the comments of the writer/creator of Mike and Molly!

'Mike & Molly' creator reacts to Marie Claire controversy – The Marquee Blog - CNN.com Blogs

I would so love to see Molly of "Mike and Molly" cancel her Marie Claire subscription in an episode of the show. That would be quite amusing.

Betsy: I am right there with you! I really people could understand that no everyone is built the same way....how was this woman 'obessed with being thin' Did someone tell her she was a chunky kid or something...and now here she is making young girls feel the same way....hum....one disorder for another? So rude of this horrible woman!

Now that I've calmed down a bit I'm just going to say one more thing:

This girl obviously has body issues - when you want to be thin you can sometimes brainwash yourself into wanting it so badly that you end up hating anything that goes against your goal.

I know it sounds weird but I think this girl has a serious problem - just like some of us have serious problems.

I used to hate thin girls in magazines for looking too thin, when they were healthy girls who just happened to have protruding hip bones.

Being deathly skinny to me looks gross, and being obese to this women looks gross - they're both issues that sometimes people can't help.

In the end I think this women needs help. I heard she has anorexia - she has a problem with eating, just like we do...The only difference is she wrote a magazine article about it and a larger portion of the population is obese than too skinny, so it caused an uproar.

It's funny when a 'minority group' is attacked, it hardly goes unnoticed...But when that 'minority group' finally becomes a larger portion of the population, everyone's starting an uproar about it.

I still think she's a bitch though. and so am I for not finding skinny people attractive (though I didn't write a magazine article about it, but this post comes pretty damned close). I'm a hypocrite and I'm sure a lot of people out there are too.

Open and hateful prejudice against fat people is one of the last "safe" bastions of "isms". People who would never feel comfortable airing their dirty prejudices about minority groups still feel really comfortable spouting off about how disgusting and lazy fat people are, all under the guise of health and the cost of insurance and how "they have to pay for it". I'm reminded of this everywhere on the internet, and the comments to this article were no exception.

I remember when Lesley, the blogger at Fatshionista Fatshionista was featured in the Boston Globe, discussing her fat-positive take on life. The comments were filled with people who were plainly just ANGRY that this fat woman DARED to be happy with herself. They insisted that she must deep down hate herself for being fat the way they hated her for being fat, that she was delusional, that she was a drain on the healthcare system (a perfectly healthy fat woman, so far). It was horrifying.

This culture (Western) is obsessed with thinness in an unhealthy way. This culture tries to use the issue of health as a thinly veiled excuse to hate on fat people-- I mean really, how many of us really believe that the hateful people are really concerned about our health and aren't just offended that we aren't conventionally attractive? I mean caring about a fat person's health would require some empathy, something that is clearly not happening with the hateful context in which health is mentioned.

The rebel in me reads stuff like this and wants to stay fat, just to give the fat-haters the middle finger. But you know what, I'm not doing this for them, I'm doing it for me.

Reading the latest comments on this topic reminds me of something that I was told several years ago by a co-worker. Let me first say that she was a very attractive, slender young woman about 5 years younger than myself. I don't remember how the conversation started, but I distinctly remember her saying that she would rather kill herself than to be fat like me. Hard as it might be to believe, she wasn't trying to be mean to me. She really felt that way. What I remember feeling when she said it was, pity. I pitied her because ALL of her self worth was wrapped up in her being thin. I knew her well enough to know about her relationships, that she was divorced from a guy that also worked where we worked and that she was dating another guy from the office at the time. I remember her being quite a miserable person. I truly felt sorry for her. I do like it that I am losing weight and that I had the surgery but, I have always known that being thin does not mean being happy. Know matter what you weigh, if you are not happy with the person you are on the inside, you won't be able to lose enough weight in a million years to change that ... prime example: the anorexic. Enough said.

I have experienced many viscious comments as a fat person and witnessed even more thoughtless statements about weight and appearance. Once at a concert I was seated behind two attractive young men. A young woman who was overweight came down the aisle. She was attractive and well dressed. One man looked at the other in disgust and said, "someday it will be against the law for people like that to be in public." He was completely serious. I was appalled and being fat myself just shrunk inside. Pop psychologist, Dr. Phil tells people to seperate their self worth from thier body image-- but that is close to impossible in this culture. I don't know why people are so cruel.