Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you guys eating for protein?

I'm trying to do low carb just to jump start my weight loss but I'm having a hard time finding moist Protein that will actually go down. My band is full enough now that chicken is a definite NO for me.

Give me some ideas please:)

Are you eating lean Protein or fattier protein? I know with Atkins you don't typically count fat grams and fattier meat is easier to chew and swallow so I'm curious.

Not sure where you live, but there is a Liquid Protein product that I have found very affordable, pleasant tasting and a very good source of Protein. E-A-S is the name of the product. You can find both the "shakes" and the fruit flavored liquid protein "test tubes" in any Walmart in the pharmacy department. The shakes have 17 g of protein, no carbs and no fat. The "Test tube" is good for two meals - 26 g. I put half the test tube in a small bottle of Water, and there you have 13 g. Really, the taste is very acceptable. Good to use either product after a fill, or on days when you know that following a regular "new" eating plan is difficult because of time or scheduling.

Today for lunch I'm having a "Simply Gourmet Turkey Mignon". I buy them at WM, 3.78 for a box of two. I bake them with some sliced squash or zucchini.. wonderful.

each mignon is 3oz, 170 cal and 21 gram Protein (i think.. don't have the box in front of me). They are a tiny bit high in sodium, but unless you're hypertensive.. they're fine. Very tender and flavorful.

I too find dry chicken to be an issue.. so I don't do grilled any more. But baked chicken... if I bake it covered.. is just fine.

Last night I had turkey taco meatloaf.. with 1 tablespoon of Butler's Texas Gold BBQ Sauce on it (could use ketchup if you like it.. I don't).

Don't be afraid to use small amounts of things like ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, dijonnaise to help things get past the band. You do want to read labels and avoid things with lots of sugar or HFCS..

I'm doing low-fat and no "bready or potato" type carbs. I don't count vegetable carbs at all. Low fat as I have gall-stones and don't want surgery and besides.. I just don't need to search for fat. It finds me!! I think it stalks me. ;D

Edited by Melissannde
clarification

For the below food suggestions - add salt/pepper to taste. I experiment as far as quantity goes and kind of eyeball most of it. I cover everything to be baked to keep moisture in and keep foods as moist and tender as possible. I check on the things cooking frequently to check for readiness.

baked chicken wings with a bit of garlic powder and paprika, once cooked i toss in a bit of BBQ Sauce that I make from low carb ketchup, bit of worcestshire sauce and some hp steak sauce, i then sometimes put hot sauce on top. I also dip in blue cheese dressing. I am returning to Atkins low carb diet and saw weight loss eating this type of food. I generally before the band had 5-6 wing pieces. Probably with the band 3-4 would be a stretch. Instead of baking though with such a small amount I spray some pam in a frying pan and slow cook the wings until almost fall off the bone - yummy.

slow cooked spare ribs in the oven using same ingredients additions as above except for bbq sauce which i put on right at the end. i slow cook on 300 for about 2 hours or till falling off the bone and have them covered with tin foil. i broil for a few minutes to get a nice coating. i put the bbq sauce mixture once they are cooked and then broil. take small bites and chew very well.

baked or slow pan fried hamburger patties using either lean ground beef, pork, chicken or turkey - i put some chopped onion in or some onion Soup mix, garlic powder and a tbsp or two of bbq sauce (bbq sauce keeps them nice and moist)

tuna with mayo and chopped onion and some chopped dill pickle, i smush it very well so it is smooth and easy to swallow

devilled eggs

pan seared fish - any kind

steamed seafood or boiled, lobster, crab, clams etc.

soft rib eye steak on the bbq - one of the tenderest steaks i've ever found - i'm still very careful to take extra small bites and chew a lot.

cheaper cuts of steak that i have marinated overnight with some balsamic vinegar a bit of olive oil and steak spices plus i usually pound it like anything with a tenderizer - i'm very careful with steak though as have had several stuck episodes

boiled chicken legs with some bouillon cubes added to the Water - chicken legs come out very soft and what's left (the bouillon once strained) is pretty good too perhaps with a bit of salt and pepper

stuffed green peppers using ground meat and prefried mushrooms onions - baked in oven covered in watered down Tomato paste and low carb ketchup to taste. i saute meat as well. they are done (i cook them at 350) when the peppers are very soft when poked with a fork and green color has faded.

stuffed cabbage (cabbage rolls) , cabbage needs to be precooked and peeled leaf by leaf - this takes time and some patience. with same ingredients as stuffed green peppers, i cover the cabbage with the biggest leaves i took off at the beginning and cover the rolled ones to keep in the moisture. I use 1 big cabbage and i do smother the top in tomato sauce mixture. I bake for about 1.5 hours on 350. cabbage should be easily poked with a fork when done. meat and all ingredients should be precooked and then stuffed (rolled) into the cabbage.

eggplant parmesan - prepared as if making lasagna (substitute thinly sliced preferrably oven baked with some olive oil and salt and pepper until pretty soft but not falling apart) and use what other ingredients you normally would to make a lasagna - tomato sauce preferrable low carb, mozzarella ( i prefer a lower fat one) low fat ricotta cheese, baked at 350 covered for approx 40 minutes - give or take.

no bean chile prepared the same as regular but without Beans.

I also included this link that i quickly looked up under low carb recipes for lapbanders - i haven't tested any of them though.

http://recipes.spark...cookbook=347266

hope this helps

If you're not worried about fats:

I love shrimp and scallops sauteed with garlic, butter, and a touch of cream. I pour it over Pasta for my husband and eat it plain for myself.

chicken wings, because they are dark meat, usually stay very moist and are very low-carb friendly when you bake them. Get the non-breaded kind and if you want to decrease your fats, don't eat the skin.

Obviously baked tilapia is a goody.

We also do a pulled pork butt. My husband smokes it just long enough to infuse the flavor, then finishes it for several hours in the slow cooker. He keeps it moist with Water. He adds barbecue to his once it is on the bun and I eat it without sauce but with a little sprinkling of season salt like Lowry's.

If you can handle ground beef, you can do a "Maid-Rite" type sauteed beef with onions (depends I guess- onions are higher carb, so you have to count them). Family can put on a bun with ketchup and you can eat out of a bowl. In my opinion the onion gives it enough flavor to be yummy without anything extra.

Baked Beans, scrambled eggs, tinned tuna/salmon, tinned chicken(it is shredded), chicken sausages, tuna patties, chicken rissoles, lean minced beef/chicken/turkey cooked however you fancy, grated low fat cheese, gilled fish and meat and vegies in the slow cooker. If you use chicken thigh it is moister and breaks up well when slow cooked.

My favorite lunch at the moment is iceberg lettuce with marinated mushrooms, marinated carrot sticks, gherkin and 100gms of grated low fat tasty cheese. No sure how much Protein (about 9 grams i think) but it is about 150 calories.

Good luck.

I have found that drinking this Protein powder from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.com is really helping me lose weight, it's the best tasting that I've found and it has 20 grams of Protein, only 180 calories and 1% fat with 8 oz of skim milk. (Of course I only drink 6 oz of milk.) fills me up, lasts long and really taste great!! And NO CARBS!! Unjury Protein Powder, I think someone said you can get it at Walmart now, but I get it on line.

I'm trying to do low carb just to jump start my weight loss but I'm having a hard time finding moist protein that will actually go down. My band is full enough now that chicken is a definite NO for me.

Are you eating lean protein or fattier protein? I know with Atkins you don't typically count fat grams and fattier meat is easier to chew and swallow so I'm curious.

Not sure if you're talking real meat or frozen...I really like Boca burgers, if you heat them in the microwave with a wet paper towel, they go down really well! When I puree it, I heat in the microwave in Water so it's extra juicy. I like the original Vegan burgers they're 70 calories with 5 from fat. :)

I'm trying to do low carb just to jump start my weight loss but I'm having a hard time finding moist Protein that will actually go down. My band is full enough now that chicken is a definite NO for me.

Are you eating lean Protein or fattier protein? I know with Atkins you don't typically count fat grams and fattier meat is easier to chew and swallow so I'm curious.

Still drinking low carb slimfast and Atkins shakes. costco has turkey burgers and sams club has salmon burgers that are tasty and easy. I still eat chicken and steak, but always tender and moist.

Beans are great Protein as well as fish. maybe try steaming or broiling some fish?

I eat eggs every which way from scrambled to egg salad, chilli, Beans, chicken salad, chicken with dips, taco meat, veggies burgers with cheese, beef Jerky, Oh Yeah Protein Bars, an all Veggie products - spinach bites, meatless buffalo bites. I could go on & on. Good luck all!

I love Muscle Milk Light! I've bought Unjury, but haven't tried it yet. I think the Atkins and EAS Carb Control shakes taste similar. Not bad, just bland :(

Just received an email from Unjury. They now have a high pro cheese sauce. 21 grams of Protein, and just a few carbs. Makes 5 table spoons for topping eggs, chili, veggies, or what ever. It is seasonal, so I am ordering it today.