Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired, Tired, Tired and sleepy help please....

The past few weeks I've been so run down. I'm sleepy and exhausted ALL THE TIME. For example Friday night I slept from 10:30 pm to 6:30 AM. Then between 8 am and 1 pm I took 3 naps with my baby and after the third I had to go take a shower just to get moving. I passed smooth out that night also with no problems.

So I'm wondering what's going on. I can't even keep up with basic stuff around my house b/c I'm sleeping so much or spending so much time being sleepy. I know my depression and anxiety has come back but I don't think all this sleepiness is from that. My doc did start me on Cymbalta last Tuesday so I've been on that almost a week.

I have hypothyroidism but it's controlled with meds. I also have sleep apnea but it's been years since I've used my CPap.

I've gone in the last month from having energy and being able to clean house, cook and exercise to barely being able to keep the house up.

Opinions? Advice?

Could it be that I'm not getting enough Vitamins or Iron now? I'm taking a daily Multivitamin and that's all. I was just in the doc's office last week so I hate to go back again this week but this is getting miserably bad and really interfering with my daily life.

Any thoughts for me?

I felt that way before being diagnosed and treated for sleep apnea. If you haven't been using your CPAP maybe it is catching up with you? Sleep with it for a night and see if you feel better.

I felt that way before being diagnosed and treated for sleep apnea. If you haven't been using your CPAP maybe it is catching up with you? sleep with it for a night and see if you feel better.

I thought about that b/c I did feel this way before getting diagnosed but it's been years since I've used my Cpap. I've since gained and lost almost 50 pounds and I'm just now feeling bad again.

It's almost like if it is my sleep apnea it's suddenly gotten worse. I would have thought it would have gotten better after losing weight again.

I don't have a mask for my machine though so I'll have to call my doc today and get a script for a new one.

Have your doc check you for anemia. I just read an article that said a large majority of women go undiagnosed for anemia and it should be something that is checked regularly...but isn't.

Sorry...can't recommend anything else. I'm always tired because I never sleep well.

I was on cymbalta for about 4 months and all I did was sleep, call the doctor and see if you can be switched to a diff med. Good luck.

I was and found out I I am Vitamin D deficient and I have anemia which I knew about, BUT the Multivitamins alone were not helping. I have to take prescription Vit D for 8 weeks and prescription Iron 3x per day. My doc said she was glad I asked her to check. Sometimes with that preop lab work they either dont check it, or forget to tell you to address it with primary doc

I was and found out I I am Vitamin D deficient and I have anemia which I knew about, BUT the multivitamins alone were not helping. I have to take prescription Vit D for 8 weeks and prescription Iron 3x per day. My doc said she was glad I asked her to check. Sometimes with that preop lab work they either dont check it, or forget to tell you to address it with primary doc

My surgeon doesn't check any Vitamin levels at all. Not before or after surgery. I guess I really should get my family doc to check it out.

my doc asked me if I was tired and fatigued. Which I was. Just wanted to lay down somewhere. I also had the raccon eyes as well

Everything everyone else said is a possibility, but I just am apalled that Your surgeon dosn't do blood work. My surgeon puts all his patients on mult Vitamin WITH Iron, and in divided doses (1 chewable twice a day) as well as 1200-1500 mg of Calcium twice a day. The other thing is that with any antidepressant it takes 2-4 weeks to reach a theraputic level in your blood and to start relieving symptoms, and sometimes the dose needs to be gradually increased untill it gets to the dose you need. often times family MD's don't have enough experience with psych meds, and it can be helpful to consult a mental health professional for medication management. But, please, have all of these things addressed, definately get blood work, give the antidepressants more time, and request a sleep study to see if your sleep apnea has returned (or if it ever really resolved)

A simple thing to try might be to add a B12 supplement.

AS A VERY LAST RESORT ... ask your doc about a med for sleep apnea called Nuvigil.

I think that all the previous suggested are best. You should be thoroughly checked out. Also, give your anti-depressants time to get into your system.

I have/had sleep apenea. I don't know if I still have it because I sleep alone ... no one hears me snore ... LOL I was having so much trouble with my new CPAP that I stopped using it ... I kept choking and my just couldn't breath with it on. I had one in 2004 that worked wonderfully, then in 2009 I got a new one and it was terrible. Anyway, my doc gave me a new asthma med that made me lethargic ... I was so tired at work, it was awful. So, he gave me Nuvigil which is a med prescribed to sleep apnea patients when their CPAP doesn't do the job well enough. THIS IS A LAST RESORT MED. I shutter to think what will happen when I try to get off this pill. I've been taking it for about 3 months now. It works well but I don't like the idea of it. I am wondering if any other sleep apnea patients on this forum have heard of/used Nuvigil. Anyone?

Good luck, it is literally a drag to be tired all the time.

Fran

I have recently experienced extreme fatigue. I went to my family doctor Friday and he gave me a B12 shot and ordered labs to check my Vitamin levels, thryroid, and Iron. I am waiting for them to call me with my results. But, I will say that since having the B12 shot I did wake up the next morning with more energy! So, maybe my levels are off. I too take a daily multi vitamin but, I'm thinkng that maybe my body isn't absorbing it as well as it should be. Good luck with your problem and I would definitely get your family doc to do some labs so you will know what is going on. =)

Check your "chewable" Vitamin and make sure there is Iron in it. A lot of them do not have the minerals you need, they are just Vitamins. I had this problem and i thought perhaps i was low on iron, so i was reading my vitamin bottle to see how much iron was in it and discovered there was NONE! Make sure you are taking a Vitimin/Mineral. It seemed to solve my "tired" problem. Good luck

One more thought comes mind...Any chance you're pregnant? Your description of your fatigue reminded me of how I felt during the first trimester of both of my pregnancies.

Cindy

One more thought comes mind...Any chance you're pregnant? Your description of your fatigue reminded me of how I felt during the first trimester of both of my pregnancies.

Cindy

Gosh NO! I had a hysterectomy last month:)

My Multivitamin is just a Vitamin though. No Iron. I'll try adding some iron and B12 and see what happens.

It can't be from the Cymbalta b/c I was feeling this tired before I ever started that.