Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realistically how much weight do you expect to loose?

I had my pysch eval a couple of weeks ago and was asked How much weight I expected to loose in the first month, 3rd month, 6th month and 1 year. I weight 270 and my height is 5' 3". Just curious if anyone else had to answer this question and how they answered.

Sadly - I don't remember. I do remember talking about how it's a tool and not a magic pill or button that will make the weight disappear. Truthfully - if you say 1-2 lbs a week, you should be safe. That's a safe amount of weight to lose and a realistic amount. Sure, you'll lose more in the beginning but as I'm slowly finding out, it does taper off. But, it's worth it. WORTH EVERY PENNY AND POUND. :wink2:

I didn't have to answer any question like this in my Psych eval - thank goodness!

But it did start me to thinking...

I had surgery just a month ago, so I have lost 21 lbs since then (surgery day was 254 now down to 233).

I have leveled off the past two weeks to have only lost about 5 lbs during that time.

So knowing that, if I lost an average of 1.5 lbs a week - lowered it because I know 2 lbs is prob unrealistic, by 6 months hopefully I will be another 30 lbs down, around 203 lbs (I hope more! but being realistic).

Maybe by 1 year if I drop the last 6 months to 5 lbs a month then I would end up at 173 lbs at the end of 1 year.

I hope my guesses are accurate!!

I don't know how anyone could expect you to answer this off the cuff! I had to really think about it.

Maybe they were looking to see if you answered that you would be at 125 lbs in a year - to see if your expectations were off kilter or something?

I didn't set a 1-month, 3-month, 6-month timeframe, but I fully expect to lose 100% of the weight I want to lose.

The psych who did my eval did not like this response; he believed me to be overconfident. (I asked him just exactly how confidence was a negative--he couldn't answer. Needless to say, when I went therapist shopping a few months later, he wasn't on my list.)

I think I will be at or very near my goal by my one-year anniversary. But again, I am not sure; my rate has been consistent until now, but things are slowing down as I get closer.

Hi all!

I was asked a simular question at my psyche eval and by my nutrtionist. They asked if I had any goals and what they were.

My response was that i wanted to lose enough weight to feel good again; to not have my weight get in the way anymore!

I don't have a specific number in mind.

At my hospital, the success rate is between 12% and 84%, with an average weight loss of 41% of excess weight. I figure that I have always done things that were well above average in my life, that if I were to fall into that same range with my new banded life, i would lose about 50ish pounds at the minimum, and I would be very happy with that!

My expectations are to lose 80-100% of the weight I need to lose. I am making huge dietary changes and adding in lots of exercise. The band will help with portion controll. I personally wouldn't accept only a 40% weight loss after having the band. I would make sure that it worked with me to meet my goals.

I didn't have to get that specific on my expectations; actually, they didn't ask what I expected, only what I hoped for. I think my answer was to at least get to 170lbs, which still would have left me slightly obese, but much healthier than 250lbs. I didn't know how long it would take me, but I knew I wouldn't stop trying until I had at least reached that goal. Thankfully I was able to exceed that.

I was asked that question by the psych. I said 1-2 lb because my doctor mentioned that 1-2 lbs is what I should expect to lose, although I have been reading stories from others about what to expect. Can anyone tell me how many times you saw the psych before you were cleared?

I think that is the stupidest question I have ever heard. Anyone can quote the manufactuers website to the psychologist but is that doing anyone any good? Are they trying to see if you will say well I expect to lose 50 pounds in a month?

Someone already exercising an hour a day 7 days a week who expects to lose 20 the first month is more realistic than someone who does'nt plan on excercising having the same expectations.

But it did start me to thinking...

I had surgery just a month ago, so I have lost 21 lbs since then (surgery day was 254 now down to 233).

I have leveled off the past two weeks to have only lost about 5 lbs during that time.

You realize that 5 pounds in two weeks is above average, right? That's 2.5 pounds a week. Don't say *only.* It makes it sound so negative...