Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

mirena anyone?

I love mine but getting it in....well that sucked

I almost got Mirena, but I opted for Paragard. The nurse that was going to do the insertion thought I was crazy for even wanting no hormones. She even tried to talk me into getting Mirena instead. I understood where she was coming from with how hormones can ease PMS, suspend my cycle, and how hormones have been linked to preventing some cancers in women, but I don't like how I felt with hormones. It totally killed my sex drive.

I have Mirena I've never had kids I wouldn't say it was fun being placed, but I've had cramps that hurt worse, I have a high pain pain tolerance though. My cycles stopped after 6 months now they rarely show up, but when they do its just spotting and cramping for 3-4 days.

I had my mirena just under a year.

It hurt so bad I was sobbing on the table. My doctor did not give me anything more than motrin for the pain. I have never had a child vaginally or been pregnant so my cervix was super tight & she had to dilate me to put it in without warning.

Then I kept having pain in my lower abdomen. Found out that bc I stopped traditional bcp & swapped to mirena I developed in under a month 2 ovarian cysts the size of an iphone. No joke. Had to have an ovary taken out bc they sandwhiched it & cut off the blood supply to it. Still kept the damn mirena through all that. Fast forward 10 months I still had pain in lower abdomen on ovary side so went to different dr and she pretty much had to do all but an abortion to me to pull the damn thing out as it had lodged into the side of my uterus & the arm had grown scar tissue over it she had forcefully remove it.

I love mine I've had it for 2 years now...my tubes were tied after my 3 daughter so I'm not using it for bc...but to manage my insane periods..I don't even have one now!!..I think the worst part was having it places while on my period cause they were so heavy..just totally grossed me out..but I would do it again in a heartbeat

Ok. Not quite on topic. But does anyone experience lower grade fever with PMS or start of TOM? If yes did BC help? I'm not currently on any BC as the hormones were causing me all kinds if problem even pre-band. But I often have a fever during PMS or first two days of period.

I had the Mirena >5 years ago. It was nice while it lasted, no periods, but I did gain weight over the year or so I had it, but I can't say it was the Mirena. At the time, I hadn't had kids, so insertion was extremely painful, now I would compare it to birthing contractions. Anyway, mine somehow migrated down, was lodged in my cervix and had it removed. My doc told me I needed to figure out a new birth control method soon, because I would resume fertility in about three months. I got pregnant within a week! Ackk. Now I have a 4 year old.

I have the paragard since I can't handle hormones. I love it and wouldn't trade it for nothin. I don't mind having a period. We're supposed to naturally so why make it stop as a convience.