Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Now family does not want me to get the band!!!

I am almost in tears reading all of your support and encouragement. I think a lot of times people do not realize that I am so overweight and how much this effects my health and my life. My auunt actually told my dad does she realize that she will have to change the way she eats or it will not work...hellllooooo I get it that is why I want it.............So anyway endo on for tomorrow a little nervous about that but the journey continues and you are all like little blessings to me !

I'm a RN also and I was banded Aug. 3, 2010.

purple3797

i have had my band since May 31, 2010 and I am down about 50 lbs. It is the BEST and hardest thing I have ever done for myself. I was terrifed, but I was also determined that I wanted to live! I didn't want to die slowly for the next 2-3 decades!

I wish you all the love and support in the world.

My doc is over the entire bariatric department at the hospital I went to and he said that the band does not cause any permanent damage to your stomach, if for some reason you have to get it taken out down the road your stomach will go back to normal and the band is the only bariatric surgery that is reversable and that does not cause damage or changes to your stomach when removed. I was banded on 09/30/10 and dont ever notice that im banded other than seeing my scars. I dont know how old your are but i am 27 and I met quite a few people at the seminar i went to that were older and lost over 100 in a year and they swear by it!!! They really gave me hope. Yes everyone is different but this is the least invasive procedure and my doc said that this procedure did less wear on my body that my two previous c-sections and I must agree. I only took pain medicine for 2 days before the whole bottle spilled and I didnt even bother to call my doc because I didnt need it anymore. With my c-sections I was taking medicine for a week. This procedure is minor to me but always stay true to yourself and follow YOUR heart.

I have researched and my doc is a good one but now Iam thinking about long term effects and problems such as erosion and slippage and things like that down the road. Are those things reversible and does the stomach heals if the band has to come out or does it cause permanent damage???

Hi everyone! I just wanted to update and I had my upper endoscopy today and one more clearance and I am on my way to being banded!!

Hi everyone! I just wanted to update and I had my upper endoscopy today and one more clearance and I am on my way to being banded!!

Whoo Hoo! Keep looking forward and don't let anyone stop you.

Hi everyone well I am almost done with all of the pre op stuff and my family is supportive..of course I feel nervous and I still worry about complications and failure and stuff like that..I am schedueld for an an upper endo tomorrow which of course there is ony a need for b/c of the operation..then my aunt who is an RN tells my father that is is a very high risk anytime you mess around with the stomacher and that she has seen some bad outcomes and also many failed bands. Now my parents are not so supportive and my wheels are turning about the safety of all of it! Help!!! I have finally left comfortable and now I am a mess all over again plus I have this test in the morning......I have to make up my minds one way or another and I am so afraid:frown: to make the wrong choice!

What about the risks of staying obese?? This surgery WILL change your life!!! I was banded on OCT 4th and I did get a little nervous but the picture I had in my mind of me healthy and happy and the excitement of just being able to buy clothes from a regular store just did it for me!!!

Just jump in and don't be scared!!! Keep positive thoughts and keep mental pictures of the THIN, HEALTHY YOU in your mind!!!

Good luck to you :wink2:

When I was in hospital I was being cared for by a nurse who had it done sometime in May and had lost 30kgs. Everyone there was supportive...I think your aunt is confused...

When I told my doctor I wanted to get it done she told me that it was a high risk procedure and there's a lot of cutting of the stomache involved...She also told me that the stomache was a very 'dirty' area which increases the risk of infection...

Turns out she didn't know what lap banding was.

It's your body. There's more risks for being obese than there is for the lap band. Get it done anyway and when they see how well you're doing, it'll all be fine :-)

Edit: Your aunt might also be jealous...I can imagine my aunt being jealous if I told her.

A lot of people feel threatened by lap-banders and think it is cheating and have all kinds of weird ideas and will try to put you off.

You've done your research, made your decision and had the band. Good for you!

Don't listen to all those outside negative voices.

Instead, come on here and listen to those who are way down the line with their lap-bands, who know what they are talking about and who (on the whole) talk excellent sense and are full of useful tips and information.

If it happens to lap banders, someone on here will have experienced it and will tell you about it and what helps and what doesn't.

And that includes how to deal with the nay-sayers!

A lot of people feel threatened by lap-banders and think it is cheating and have all kinds of weird ideas and will try to put you off.

You've done your research, made your decision and had the band. Good for you!

Don't listen to all those outside negative voices.

Instead, come on here and listen to those who are way down the line with their lap-bands, who know what they are talking about and who (on the whole) talk excellent sense and are full of useful tips and information.

If it happens to lap banders, someone on here will have experienced it and will tell you about it and what helps and what doesn't.

And that includes how to deal with the nay-sayers!

Ugh. I get so mad when people think we're cheating...All lap banding does is 1/3 of the work...Maybe not even that...You still have to work so hard to achieve that.

As I'm typing I just noticed some visible bones in my hands. Woohoo!! lol.