Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something interesting - antidepressants

I was reading the other thread about who among us is on anti-depressants, and I noticed something. It seemed like everyone who said that they have taken Lexapro said that it is no longer working for them. Hmmm... I'm in the same boat, but I thought it was just me. I've gotten so bad that I've just quit taking them (not smart, I know... especially around the holidays!) Anti-depressants make me extremely exhausted ALL THE TIME, but it was a side effect that I was willing to accept, as long as the depression stayed away. If I'm not feeling any of the "benefits" of the drug anymore, then I'm not interested in taking them just for the miserable side effects! (No point in feeling miserable all the time ON them if I feel just as miserable OFF of them.) Increasing the dosage might be an idea, but I'm already on a fairly high dosage of it.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that everyone who mentioned Lexapro, specifically, seemed to have the same "it's no longer working for me" experience.

After the first of the year (when the insurance at my hubby's new job kicks in), I plan to go to my doctor and ask for something else.

Yeah it is interesting. I've had a lot of stuff hitting me all at once in the past month or so and I thought it was just stress and my PPD flaring up. I have an appt tomorrow with my shrink. I am going to mention to her the fact that Lexapro seems to be not helping a lot of people, I'm sure she will dismiss it because she doesn't know all the information about the people involved, you know how doctors are...lol

The only side effect I have with Lexapro is no interest in sex. I am scared to move onto something else and experience something worse or have horrible withdrawals once I get off of them.

I have a 14 month old I have to do something. I haven't been a happy mommy lately and she deserves to have a mommy that is happy and cheerful. :)

It is very important NOT to stop taking Lexapro all at once. You have to taper this drug down or you will feel very anxious. So if you want to discontinue the drug, make sure you have your doc tell you how to do it.

As far as Lexapro not working, I have experienced that, but large scale clinical trials found it to be a good drug. Lexapro increases the amounts of some brain chemicals (serotonin, norepinephrine, and even dopamine at higher doses) that are related to mood. It DOES increase these chemicals, but if these chemicals are not the reason why we are depressed, it makes sense that they won't work for us.

These meds do work for some people, just those who are depressed because of a chemical imbalance.

I tried Lexapro about two years ago. My shrink put me on it and told me to come back in a month for an evaluation. For the first couple of weeks, I felt great. But then it stopped working - almost overnight - and the depression was worse than ever. It was so bad that I cancelled my appointment with the shrink. I figured I could not be helped. Fast forward a couple of months and I was in really bad shape and went back to the doctor out of sheer desperation. That was the end of Lexapro for me.

Right now, I am on a cocktail of prozac, wellbutrin, and effexor. The drugs are doing their job, but I hate the fact that I have to take them at all. I know depression is common but if I have to rely on those four pills just to feel normal, there must be something really really wrong with me. LIke maybe the doctor lied and one of those drugs is an antipsychotic or something.

One of the reasons why I really really really want to lose weight, is the hope that it will relieve some of my depression and I can either stop or reduce the amount of meds I have to take. Is this a goal for anyone else?

My depression is due to a chemical imbalance. I have fought it all of my life; in hindsight, my mom says that she can see it as young as my toddler years. The lexapro worked pretty well for me for a couple of years, but it's like I've "outgrown" it or something. And the downcycle that I'm in now is the worst that I've had in about 15 years. This is the second drug that I've "outgrown" after just a couple of years, and I'm beginning to feel like, "What's the point? In a couple of years, this won't work either, and I'll be right back where I started." I didn't realize that a "coctail" of multiple drugs was even an option. When I see my doc in January, I'm definitely going to ask about it. I'm also switching counselors in January. I really want a Christian counselor, and my new insurance (that kicks in January 1st) will cover me to see the one that I have in mind. My current counselor is great, and I have nothing but good things to say about her, but maybe a new perspective will help get me back on track.

I found a small paperback book called "Changes that Heal". I dont know if you can still find it but it was so easy to read and I saw myself in almost every chapter. and it didnt have any side effects. I think this proves that in my case my depression probably came from my emotions more than chemistry. I had Lexapro way way long time ago, I just couldn't handle the drowseys. It came in waves, like at 4:30 in the afternoon I was toast.

Victoriana,

I, too, have read that book. I actually went through a study with the book at my church. I agree that it's a good book, and I saw a lot of myself in it.

I have spent most of my adult life depressed and have run the gamut of antidepressants. I can't think of one I haven't been tried on. Celexa has saved my life literally. I've been on it for 2 years now, and it is definitely helping me not only cope, but be happier in my life. This is a brand new experience for me. I've lost my mom, dad, husband, almost lost my daughter in an auto accident, and it seemed everytime I turned around something horrible was happening. Celexa was a new drug a couple years ago, and it has turned my life around. It attacks different parts of the brain then some common antidepressants. You might give it a shot and ask your dr. about it. I've had absolutely no side-effects from it.

Dear Dody, With your experiences any one would be in great distress. I cant imagine so much stress . I hope you continue to feel better and better, give yourself credit for pressing in and taking care of yourself in spite of it all. I am proud of you, your daughter has a great mom, she is learning a lot of life lessons watching you cope and continue. That is very powerfull. Im glad you post here, sometimes I whine over the stupid things that happen in my day and I must admit that you have inspired me to be more thankfull and watch what kind of example Im setting for my kids. Bless you

Your post made me tear up, and I hate doing that. I try hard to keep the negative in the back of my mind. I was told once the Lord doesn't give you more than you can carry, but I feel sometimes he is truly testing me. My daughter is off on her own now and raising her own family and doing a wonderful job. She got well despite mo. in Intensive Care. Memories are the hard things to cope with, and little atta boys like you just gave make me realize that I'm giving it my best every day and that's all I can do. The medicine does help tremendously and is a good drug for depression. It literally saved me from being overwhelmed by what was happening to my life and I was able to hold on to sanity in the worse times. If you have your parents still always remember even when you get a little angry with them, they won't be here forever, and always find room to forgive and let them know you love them. I loved mine emmensely and was an only child so it hit me extremely hard. Hold your kids a little tighter because life doesn't always prevent them from getting hurt, but let them know you're always there to catch them.

Thanks for being such a sweetheart :)

I have been on anti depressants(Xanax) for last 4 yrs and my depression has shown some good process since. Such medicines should only be used for small durations as these are habit forming drugs and sometimes the withdrawal symptoms can be even more depressing. The withdrawal from this medicine is a slow and gradual process rather than abrupt. Xanax works by slowing down the nervous system and hence relieves anxiety. The best way to get over anxiety and depression is to take a break from your regular schedule, go out, and take good sleep.< span>

I was on anti-depressants for years. Most of them didn't work well for me. Zoloft being the worst. I couldn't have an orgasm to save my life, and that was even MORE depressing. I went about 8 years like this, and had gained a lot of weight in that time (thus the need for the lap-band). But I finally found an internist who thought I had been misdiagnosed. He started me on thyroid medication even though my tests were perfectly normal. Within two weeks I felt like a new person. My husband had his wife back. I was no longer a zoo animal. The doctor couldn't explain it. My tests results for thyroid were exactly the same on the meds and off. No difference. We just kept going with it. That was 13 years ago. I've on occasion had to take an anti-depressant like Wellbutrin for a couple of VERY brief times to get me through some life crises. As it turned out, my body produces some kind of enzyme that causes unreliable thyroid test results. My sister has the same thing. But I tell you what, when I think of the hell I went through all those years only for it to be a thyroid problem....... It was so easily remedied. Please, have your thyroids checked.

I love my Zoloft. The only drawback I've seen is that it makes me feel so normal, that after awhile I don't think I need it. After about a week of not taking it, I notice that I'm hyper-emotional, angry, and have road rage. I really need to remember this when I feel like I don't need it. Zoloft is my friend.

I have been on anti depressants(Xanax) for last 4 yrs and my depression has shown some good process since. Such medicines should only be used for small durations as these are habit forming drugs and sometimes the withdrawal symptoms can be even more depressing. The withdrawal from this medicine is a slow and gradual process rather than abrupt. Xanax works by slowing down the nervous system and hence relieves anxiety. The best way to get over anxiety and depression is to take a break from your regular schedule, go out, and take good sleep.

Xanax is not an anti-depressant, it's in the Valium family. It can actually cause depression. It's very addictive, extremely addictive.

I was reading the other thread about who among us is on anti-depressants, and I noticed something. It seemed like everyone who said that they have taken Lexapro said that it is no longer working for them. Hmmm... I'm in the same boat, but I thought it was just me. I've gotten so bad that I've just quit taking them (not smart, I know... especially around the holidays!) Anti-depressants make me extremely exhausted ALL THE TIME, but it was a side effect that I was willing to accept, as long as the depression stayed away. If I'm not feeling any of the "benefits" of the drug anymore, then I'm not interested in taking them just for the miserable side effects! (No point in feeling miserable all the time ON them if I feel just as miserable OFF of them.) Increasing the dosage might be an idea, but I'm already on a fairly high dosage of it.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting that everyone who mentioned Lexapro, specifically, seemed to have the same "it's no longer working for me" experience.

After the first of the year (when the insurance at my hubby's new job kicks in), I plan to go to my doctor and ask for something else.

its dangerous to abruptly stop any antidepressents.. high risks of suicide and depression possibly getting worse.. i say stick with the pills until you see your doc... or slowly decrease the dosage.. but never just stop...