Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone REGRET getting banded and why?

Hi guys, I am 90% decided to get banded, I have the money, iv picked my surgeon, but i still have reservations and I think its just the physical act of having surgery and the unknown. I know I can make the adjustments to my diet and really want to do it, but Im scared of the surgery.Was anyone in so much pain that they regret having it done and how long before you were back on your feet properly? How much realistically can you eat and do you fell deprived at all? Any advice? Would love to hear from you xxx

No regrets here. I get frustrated sometimes and then kick myself for being upset over food. I was banded a year ago and have lost 66 lbs.

I have been filled about every other month since the surgery and can honestly say that the weight/hunger struggle continued for about 6 months. After my fill in May the hunger stopped completely. I was losing all along, but very slowly. After the May fill it really picked up. My exercise is spotty and I have had my "bad" food days too.

My surgeon had excellent pre-surgical education and was on the money with what to expect before and immediately after the surgery. The only thing I think most people are surprised at is the amount of food you can shove in before getting proper restriction.

Good Luck and feel free to ask all your questions here. Pretty much nothing is off limits. We talk about sex, bathroom iss:blink:ues and everything in between.

I am only 4 weeks post-op and feel great! I had absolutely no pain after surgery and didn't require prescription or otc pain meds. I will say, though, the gas from surgery did get a bit obnoxious days 3 and 4 post-op.

Although I wasn't 100% for the first week, I was back on my feet immediately after surgery and was able to care for myself.

I'm only 4 weeks post-op and I know things can change, but as of now I'm thrilled with my decision to have LAP-BAND surgery. My only regret was not having it years earlier!

My surgery was very uneventfull. I was sore for a few days, especially when I moved around a lot. There are a few things I wish I had known. One is the hunger you feel until you get a few fills. There is also some hunger inbetween fills as you work your way to your sweet spot. Another thing to know, is that the feeling of fullness is very different. For me it is sometimes an uncomfortable feeling, mostly in my chest (probably when I've eaten too fast). Mostly it's a feeling of not being hungry, rather than "full". I miss the feeling of satisfaction after a fairly large meal, but not so large you feel sick. However, I am thrilled with my band and would do it over in a hearbeat. I lost 107 pounds in about 10 months. I am now working on maintaining. It's normal to feel nervous about any surgery, even a minor one like the band is a serious thing. Good luck to you!

No regrets here either. My pain was very minimal. I only took Advil for it. I really don't feel deprived since my appetite is controlled.

No regrets at all! I had almost no pain, besides the gas pains, that do get almost all of us. I too would say about one week after surgery and I was back to normal completely.

I haven't felt deprived at all either.

I'm actually excited each time I go to the dr to be weighed. When would I ever have loved the scale before!!

Thank you for all your replys, TracyNYC you are so sweet thank you! I didnt consider the operation to be major surgery, as so many of you sailed through it and I can see that from this site. I am sick of the weight and want it gone for good, maybe my doubts are just down to a lack of support from my family.. I really dont want to go through all that procedure and expense and regret it! I dont know what is really holding me back as I am normally such an impulsive person (maybe thats why I am in this position in the first place?!!) but I have to go through everything in my head. I am currently suffering prolapsed disks in my back and they are very bad considering my age, and my weight is a huge factor in this so there is more than just vanity at stake here. If I am getting it done i will be going to Belgium and flying home the day after, have any of you flown directly after the operation and how did you find it? Sorry for all the questions, but you know they do say if you want to know something ask the experts, so i am :thumbup:

The only thing I regret is not getting it done sooner.

I didn't sail through post-op. The first 5 days wasn't pleasant, but it was so very much worth it. I'm loving my band.

I regret not doing in sooner! Personally I saw having surgery as admitting that I was a failure. If other people can eat correctlly their whole lives and be thin how come I could only do it for a year at a time and then give up? Why? Because I was on a "diet" 24/7 365 days a year. I had concerns about the post op pain because I have a lot of pain killer allergies. As it was I stopped perscription Meds before I left the hospital and was on liquid tylenol when I got home. I had pain at the port only when I sat up from laying down and then during the process of standing. Other than that no pain while laying down or standing or walking. Was I lucky sure. Immediately post op the biggest issue I had was that I stayed in the hospital over night and had to get up every 30 minutes to go to the bathroom due to the IV.

no regrets so far, I was banded like 10 days ago.. first few days I had a hard time with gas pain on my shoulder, neck, and upper back, but I'm back to normal now. I cant wait for my first fill !!!! good luck making a decision.

i never really regretted my choice but it was alot more painful than i thought it would be i wasnt 100% until about 2 wks post op. i am lucky that at 5 wks out i do not suffer from hunger . my appetite is still very much controlled. today i would say yes i would do it again! best of luck to you!

I am 2 days post op and I would say that absoulutly no way do I regret the surgery. Now I understand I am just a babe at this and only 2 days out and haven't expercienced a whole lot. But as far as the surgery goes I would definatly do again.. Surgery was a breeze.. Looking foward to this journey!!

You have got to think about you and make up your mind on what it is you want.

If you have complet peace about it then go for it...

Best of luck to you..

I have no regrets. I had gas pains that were no fun, but overall no complaints.

You mentioned back problems and I can relate to that. I had back surgery in 2004 and since then developed spinal stenosis. The back surgery helped but with all the weight I was carrying I still had problems and had to have spinal injections and cortizone shots. BUT, since losing weight I am able to do so many things I couldn't do in the past. I am unable to run due to the screws in my back, but I can walk for MILES. I couldn't do that before. Lapband surgery did more for me than the back surgery and all the injections in my spine ever did.

Good luck on your journey.

I dont regret the surgery i am just aggravated cause i havent lost any weight in a while. I use my tredmil and i eat right and still no loss. Make me depressed.

Thank you for all your replys, TracyNYC you are so sweet thank you! I didnt consider the operation to be major surgery, as so many of you sailed through it and I can see that from this site. I am sick of the weight and want it gone for good, maybe my doubts are just down to a lack of support from my family.. I really dont want to go through all that procedure and expense and regret it! I dont know what is really holding me back as I am normally such an impulsive person (maybe thats why I am in this position in the first place?!!) but I have to go through everything in my head. I am currently suffering prolapsed disks in my back and they are very bad considering my age, and my weight is a huge factor in this so there is more than just vanity at stake here. If I am getting it done i will be going to Belgium and flying home the day after, have any of you flown directly after the operation and how did you find it? Sorry for all the questions, but you know they do say if you want to know something ask the experts, so i am :tt2:

I was banded July 8, 2010. I too, have 4 herniated discs in my back..two of which I had to have surgery for at the age of 30. I was having to get steroid epidurals in my lumbar, sacroilliac joints, and caudal area every 3-4 months just to be able to make it through the day. I was diagnosed with hypertension and Type II diabetes also within the last couple of years. I really was at a point in my life where I HAD TO DO SOMETHING if I wanted to live to see my kids grow up and have kids.

I started out at 316 lbs. at my consult June 28th, 2010, 308 lbs. day of surgery, and today after two fills...I weighed in at 276 lbs. I am so excited to have lost this amount of weight so far...and I would have this surgery again in a heartbeat! Since, my band...I am off my diabetes medicine, off my blood pressure meds, and have not had any back pain! (which means...no steroids or epidurals!!)

I did have my days early on...post op...that I really had to learn how to cope with my emotions in different ways besides eating. I also, have had to change my life as far as how I spend my time now. When my husband and I go out now...we have to think of other things to do besides go out to eat. Which is really a good thing! I enjoy being active now. I enjoy exercising. I enjoy trying on clothes. I enjoy going to the doctor and getting weighed. I enjoy doing things now...that 4 months ago..you couldn't pay me to do!

My 3rd and 4th day post op...I felt like crap! My port site hurt and I was really weak from not being able to eat more than 1/2 a sugar free popsicle. But, after day 5 my surgeon ok'd me to start mushy foods and I started getting some Protein with chicken and tuna salads. I felt a 100 times better. The first two weeks was rough on me as far as walking but, I kept at it and slowly built myself up to a mile a day. Now, I feel great!! A mile is nothing to me! I have so much more energy now. I don't want to lay in bed and sleep my day away anymore. I want to get up and go!

I have days where I can't eat much at all...then there are days I can eat more than I should...but, the thing is...this band keeps me in check. I can't go crazy with food anymore and if I try to...it reels me back in real quick. It can sometimes be a painful reminder...:thumbup:...but, you learn not to do whatever it was that caused you to get "stuck" real quick!

I also keep up with my calories eaten and burned at www.livestrong.com/mydailyplate It has really helped me to keep myself on track and actually see what I am putting in my body now. When I first started using that site...I could not BELIEVE the calories I had been taking in on a daily basis pre-band. No wonder I was so unhealthy! It's a wonder I didn't kill myself eating like that. It was crazy.

Anyways, didn't mean to ramble on...but, I was just giving you a view of what the band has done for me so far. :smile:

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Edited by rcain03@hotmail.com
forgot to add something