Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

weight loss of self pay vs insured banders

Ok... I've been thinking about this since I was banded...I would like to know from personal experience,published data,etc, do self-pay have more success with weight loss in the "long run"?

I don't know of any study on this, but I can tell you from my own limited observations.

I was a self pay. I know others that were self pay, and also others who have had their bands through insurance.

The self payers that I know tend to be much stricter with following the rules. I know myself, when you spend $15,000 on something, you damn well want to make sure it works properly!

Even Insurance covered banders have to pay co-pay, deductible, etc., right? I think that can come to $2K which is not small change.

I don't know of any study on this, but I can tell you from my own limited observations.

I was a self pay. I know others that were self pay, and also others who have had their bands through insurance.

The self payers that I know tend to be much stricter with following the rules. I know myself, when you spend $15,000 on something, you damn well want to make sure it works properly!

comparing the self pay vs insured,do you have any knowledge of amt of weight lost? I believe there is greater motivation.

I know writing that check for $12,000 has been something I still remember very well.:) I do think it has kept me motivated and to stay focused. So far I have lost 75 pounds since April 12 of this year. I think mine also might be motivated by a little guilt. Since my name is Stagegirl you might have figured out I love theatre and my family and I did not take our yearly trip to New York this past year due to the $12,000 I forked out. Whatever the reason.......I LIKE IT!!!!! Did I mention I have lost 75 pounds so far????:wink2: I am motivated to loose 40 more before I visit Broadway again this next summer to see "Catch me if You Can" this summer and "Wicked again, and the revival of "Anything goes" and......

I love my band:wub: Life is GOOD!

:)

I know writing that check for $12,000 has been something I still remember very well.:wink2: I do think it has kept me motivated and to stay focused. So far I have lost 75 pounds since April 12 of this year. I think mine also might be motivated by a little guilt. Since my name is Stagegirl you might have figured out I love theatre and my family and I did not take our yearly trip to New York this past year due to the $12,000 I forked out. Whatever the reason.......I LIKE IT!!!!! Did I mention I have lost 75 pounds so far????:bolt: I am motivated to loose 40 more before I visit Broadway again this next summer to see "Catch me if You Can" this summer and "Wicked again, and the revival of "Anything goes" and......

I love my band:wub: Life is GOOD!

I had my surgery April 22 & I've lost 71 lbs so far.When I say I'm going to do something; I'm going to do it! I think that was the motivation... not the actual $10000 spent!

I'm an insured bander...costing me only $250 for office paperwork fee and $15 copays for my fills. I don't think it matters whether your self pay or insured to be successful. I know when I started this journey, the choice was to "save my life"....Failure is not an option...and continued success is now a learned behavior. Its been an overall lifestyle change. I can honestly say for myself, I would have the same success if I had to pay for the surgery without insurance.:laugh:

I honestly don't think it makes a difference to me.

I was 100% covered but am just as or a lot more dedicated to being successful as those that shelled out the cash.

Then again, I would have spent the $12K plus if insurance didn't cover it.

I think we all have different motivations. Money is a big one for some. I was self pay and it hurts bad to pay out that kind of money, but I think my weightloss would have been the same if I had insurance.

Being healthy is a big motivation for many no matter if they were self pay or insurance. It was not my motivation. Being healthier was just a side benifit for me.

I was selfpay and even if you have insurance that covers it, you are still paying monthly payments for the insurance so either way it cost all of us to do this.

Cheri

Its important not to loose focus on why you are getting the band in the first place. The money should never be a deal braker.

I was self pay and top of that had it done at NYU making my costs a little higher then usual. I paid over 16K I dnt regret a single penny.

Its not 9 months later and I'm down 140 lbs !!!!!! The important part isn't how much you paid its how much motivation you have to change your life around.

Good luck fellow bandsters!!!

I wrote a check for 15K...very motivating! Well worth it!

I wrote a check for 15K...very motivating! Well worth it!

Yes! Exactly. My cost, and my sentiment as well. By the way, your progress looks amazing. Way to go!

Even Insurance covered banders have to pay co-pay, deductible, etc., right? I think that can come to $2K which is not small change.

Even with insurance I had to come up with about 3500 and now I am getting another bill from surgeon (large hernia was found) for over 500 and if I don't pay immediatly it will effect my band fills?? WTF?? why they have to be so mean?? lol