Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this Possible?????

Since I have gotten my Lap band I seem to be under such extreme stress that sometimes I actually feel Like I am falling apart....I feel like my heart hurts sometimes. I really don't know if it does or does not have anything to do with the lapband itself or not. But there is one difference that makes me think maybe it does. When I didn't have the lap band I ate whenever I was stressed, and of course all the wrong foods! But now that I am banded that was taken away and now I seem to not be able to handle the stress I mean I feel physical pain from stress! I never felt that before. Has anyone out there had a similar experience and if so how do I correct this?Suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi Pepsi,

sounds like you need another way to handle your stress. Exercise, stretching, meditation, praying are just a few ideas. Or maybe a small amount of something to eat would help? I'm an emotional eater as well, sometimes now, I have a cup of tea and another thing that has helped me is Knitting, it keeps my mind and hands busy. Good luck, I hope you start feeling better.

I have not had direct personal experience in my reaction to stress changing since I got my band, but I do know that when I am stressed out my whole chest is tighter. Paying attention to it and really stopping and taking a few deep breaths (simple as it sounds) makes a HUGE difference! I too was an emotional eater and now after a stressful busy day I find myself kind of at odds with what to do with myself since I used to settle down with a nice reward bowl of ice cream. Now I am sometimes restless. I have (corny as it sounds) learned to like this extra energy/figity feeling since I know it means that I am on my way to a thinner, healthier me!

Great thread...I'm reading this one to my hubby later. I'm 8 months out and this thread as caused me to recognize my problem...I can't really stress-eat. I'm lethargic, stifled, stuck, exhausted, have a headache, I just don't have a good sense of well-being. And hubby is about to start building a rental home...financing, debt, extra work hours, all those things involved in building a home, plus it's ours to owe money on every month...geez, can I just add more to my day?!!! Really, it's not that bad, but I'm feeling it physically!!! For some reason I hadn't thought about how I am not able to cope in the same old way. I have tried to blame it on hormones? Thanks for the fresh perspective. Now maybe I can get over my frumpy hump? Here's hoping.

WOW right there with you!!! I want to eat then I eat and OWWW. and I am like what do I do now??? I feel bad cause I ate then I feel physically bad and then ARGGG.BUT.... i come to the board or call a friend or go walk on the tredmill or drink Water. I am learning a new and better way YOU CAN DO IT. I get phenomenal support on this board. You are not alone friend. Some days are better than others. A counselor or someone objective is very helpful . My husband is not when I am in my stress eating I become not nice and need an objective source to settle me down. This to shal pass I know we don't always like to hear that but its true.

DEEP BREATH EXHALE

Elda

All of the above is extremely right on target. I believe that the majority of us are emotional eaters and have been for quite some time in our lives. You are correct in your thinking to try to find something to replace the unhealthy habit, emotional eating, with a healthy one, exercise. I know, most of us cringe at the word exercise, I use to, but when I started walking on the treadmill whenever an anxiety attack hit, which is pretty often, I not only got rid of the anxiety, but I even felt really good afterwards. Not to mention it's another great tool for weight loss and toning our bodies, building lean muscle, increasing our metabolism and the list goes on. I do understand and totally relate to the hesitency to do this, but if you just go with your head on this one, it really is something you may come to love, I know I do now. Never thought I would be saying this either. I was a couch potatoe before the term ever came along.

Professional help is always an option as well, to help you deal with your stress. A good therapist will help you to develop some really good coping mechanisms which are essential for overcoming stress and negative thoughts and emotions.

Coming here is another good outlet and I am glad you posted this thread. It will be of great benefit for many people here, myself included, so thank you.

Hope you can take some of the suggestions provided to you, find the one(s) that fit you best and you'll be amazed at the difference in the way you feel.

Take care and Happy Holidays

Cindy

I have always wanted to be able to walk my dogs. I would be content with that. I think a treadmill would be awesome, except for the fact that arthritis prohibits the walking part. I so hope that the banding will in some way help the arthritis. I may be reaching for the stars, as there are very thin people with arthritis, but I know mine has gotten worse with weight gain. The thought of buying and being able to use a treadmill would be an ultimate goal, just as walking the dogs would be. I'm kind of scared the banding won't work if I can't really excercise. Someone suggested Water therapy, but the thought of me in a bathing suit is about more than I can bear. I want to actually be able to walk without pain. Has anyone had arthritis that improved with the banding? I would love to someday jump on a threadmill, but the first goal is simply walking 2 little dogs.

As for the emotional aspect, I'm not yet banded, but I expect I will go through a range of emotions. Perhaps an anxiety medication would work. I know I have panic attacks and they settle in my chest. It's a very scary and uncomfortable feeling and I take medication for it. I'm not really pushing medication, but I feel sometimes we really benefit from it as a coping mechanism. There is only so much we can fight on ourselves.

I know it feels rotten, but it's probably not that unusual. When you have to stop on a dime and change your habits, the effects aren't just mental but physical as well. Your body is used to the way you normally treat it and what you normally feed it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a withdrawal-type thing that happens, much like when coffee drinkers give up coffee - headaches, the shakes, pain, and other physical manifestations of your stress. I believe you will get through this though, and you will probably be stronger for it.