Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you really start to see the weight come off?

Hello Everyone,

I was banded on July 27, 2010; I have lost a total of 33lbs since starting the pre-op diet (beginning of June). I had my first fill of 3ccs in a 10cc band on September 13th. I have lost 2-3lbs since then but nothing more. Don’t get me wrong I am happy that I have lost that much but I guess I just figured that I should be losing the 1-2lbs a week that the dr told me about. I am exercising 3-4 times a week. I usually try to walk/run 4 miles. My eating habits are no fast food, high Protein foods, and salads. Don’t get me wrong I do give into sweets a little but I’m not over indulging in them. My question is when did you really start to notice the weight coming off. I’m thinking that maybe when I get another fill I may start to see to come off faster.:)

I have only been banded for 2 weeks today but I am using the realize my success website to journal all of my eating and exercise. I have been told that it helps. It let's me know where I am at every day.

I was banded 10/28/09, and had my first fill in Feb.2010, I didn't really start losing till March after my second fill. Keep doing what you have been doing, once you get more restriction you will start losing more.

I was banded on August 18th and have lost 36 lbs since the preop diet. I was loosing 1-2 lbs/ week last month and I was o.k. with at least 2lbs a wk. My nutritionists increased my calories, carbs etc...and the weight started coming off faster! I lost 8 lbs in 1 week and 3 lbs the next week. Yes, 3lbs was Water but the other 5 was fat! My sweet spot seems to be around 800-1000 calories..... over 1000 or under 800 makes the weight come off very slow. I would start counting nutrition info and see what your body responds to. By the way, 1-2 lbs a week is good weight loss! I wouldn't worry too much as long as you're still losing.

I've had a steady loss of around 2.5 pounds/week since banding--restriction or no. I've had a couple of very brief stalls, but in general, I can count on a couple of pounds a week.

I have always eaten according to my doctor's regimen, and I exercise routinely. Now I have good restriction, so being compliant food-wise is pretty easy. (Do I want sweets? Eh, most of the time, no. When I do, I can easily persuade myself to skip 'em.)

I'd recommend that you journal your eating and exercise at fitday.com so that you can be sure you're meeting--and not exceeding--your body's needs. It may be that you need to pare out those sweets. Or bump up Protein. Or any of a million other things you can do to tweak things to get things moving the way you want them to move.

For me, what works is aiming for 80-100 g/protein (usually closer to 80 these days, with restriction), <50 g net carb (from veggie, legume, and fruit sources), 20-30% of calories from heart-healthy fat, and 800-900 calories/day. Your "formula" might be very different; this is how my doctor's recommended regimen shakes out, though, and those of us who are compliant fare far better, in terms of loss, than those who do not.

I've been on a steady weight loss of 1-2 or more lbs a wk. I definitely noticed the help when I had my 2nd then 3rd fill. I think I might need a pinch more fill (go in another 1 wk) to reach the good spot.

But I must agree with everyone else. I started journaling last week on my phone w/myfitnesspal, and I've really been able to get a good look at how much or how little I was eating. I didn't realize I really wasn't getting enough Protein, only abou 30-40 g, when I assumed I was getting a lot more. So that has really helped me to focus better. And too before I eat something I check my app to see how many calories it is and do I really want to 'waste' that many on this item.

You mentioned you've had one fill...I myself noticed I was hungrier after the 1st fill. It really did takethe 2nd fill to notice more of a difference in not being as hungry.

Keep up the good work! You've done great on ur weightloss so far!

I didn't see a steady loss until I hit my "sweet spot" - then it was a few lbs a week....I am kinda plateaued now, but need to get a steady exercise routine going and I think I can lose a few more....I kinda got complacent, I think!

Hang in there --- you'll do great! Just be patient and don't compare yourself to others...everyone loses differently and gets to their sweet spot at a different rate.....