Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Keys to Becoming a Successful Bandster!

I have been struggling recently with the amount of negative posts on this forum. It has actually caused me to stay away, because I'm so tired of people posting- whining- about why they're not losing weight only to find out A) they don't exercise, :) they don't follow they rules.

THE BAND DOESN'T FAIL YOU- YOU FAIL THE BAND!

So, if you've posted about why you're just not losing weight, I ask you to re- commit to yourself to be healthy, and get back on the wagon.

Here are the Keys to being a Successful Bandster:

1) FOLLOW THE RULES: Yes, its hard. We all know this, but rules are there to help you become successful, so don't cheat. If your cheat, you're only cheating YOURSELF.

2) EXERCISE: It is not rocket science that Exercise=weight loss. It doesn't matter what you do, what fitness level you start at, as long as you do SOMETHING EVERY DAY.

3) COMMIT TO YOURSELF: Stop comparing yourself to every other bandster. This is YOUR journey. Make the commitment to yourself to be healthy, follow the rules, and become the best version of yourself.

Excellent points all! We have rules for a reason, failing to follow them is a slippery slope that can lead you right back where you were-- and who wants to go there?!

I have been struggling recently with the amount of negative posts on this forum. It has actually caused me to stay away, because I'm so tired of people posting- whining- about why they're not losing weight only to find out A) they don't exercise, :) they don't follow they rules.

THE BAND DOESN'T FAIL YOU- YOU FAIL THE BAND!

So, if you've posted about why you're just not losing weight, I ask you to re- commit to yourself to be healthy, and get back on the wagon.

Here are the Keys to being a Successful Bandster:

1) FOLLOW THE RULES: Yes, its hard. We all know this, but rules are there to help you become successful, so don't cheat. If your cheat, you're only cheating YOURSELF.

2) EXERCISE: It is not rocket science that Exercise=weight loss. It doesn't matter what you do, what fitness level you start at, as long as you do SOMETHING EVERY DAY.

3) COMMIT TO YOURSELF: Stop comparing yourself to every other bandster. This is YOUR journey. Make the commitment to yourself to be healthy, follow the rules, and become the best version of yourself.

Nice post! :)

Love your post and completely agree!!!!!!!!

I agree, but ... I would add one more thing:

LEARN ABOUT THE BAND: Understand that it is a "tool", not a magical device (you still have to participate in your weight loss); learn exactly how it works (i.e., without restriction you are the same as you would be without the band); it will not stop you from eating ice cream, Cookies and cake; it will not change you mentally and emotionally (that's part of the work YOU have to do - once you get this under control it will help you work with your band) ... ultimately, you need to read, read, read so you will know what to expect and then act on it. The band is a TOOL and it works if YOU work.

My addition: Keep your expectations aligned with what is realistic. You didn't gain weight overnight, and you will not lose it overnight.

I'd also suggestthat anyone just beginning the journey focus on finding a surgeon who provides excellent patient education and aftercare--and MAKE USE OF IT. If you don't follow through with adjustments, nutrition education, and so on, then you are shortchanging yourself.

Remember, the band is just a tool; it does NOT DO THE WORK. That's in your hands. That means that you have to make appropriate food choices, eat in appropriate amounts, and exercise routinely. FOREVER.

Love this!!! Way to go- there just aren't enough positive threads on here!!

Excellent points!!

Besides what has already been mentioned: Make sure you have some kind of support network to keep you honest and help you out. Whether it be family; friends; a weight loss support group or lapband support group. You can do it alone but it is so much easier with others.

I agree 100%. Thanks for posting this. You can't blame anyone for your failure but yourself. You have to change everything about the relationship you have with food, that's why I gained weight to begin with. Learning to deal with stress differently is key and excercise is a great way to deal with that. I failed my band and me alone and had to start over. Thanks again for putting things into perspective.

I am a firm believer that you become what you surround yourself with. So when I was starting to notice all the negative posts on here, I couldn't just let it ride, and boy do I feel better after getting it all of my chest!

Surround yourself with people that support you, and keep you positive and in touch with the real you.

Negativity brings nothing but negativity.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that has noticed...

The thing that gets me is the number of posts that say that their band has done nothing they have done all the work.

Yeah right.

If that were true how come they weren't successful in losing and maintaining the weight loss preband.

Yes the band is a tool that is useless if we don't work it correctly but it is a fabulous tool that makes the whole process so much easier.People should give credit where it is due and stop being so negative about the band.

I have been on LBT for quite awhile and I don't remember reading one post where the poster said they ate junk, drank with meals, didn't exercise, wasn't losing weight and blamed the band. They usually own up to the fact that they know they aren't doing what they are supposed to be doing.

What they are looking for is some support, some suggestions on how to get and stay on track and make the band work.

What they don't want or need is criticism, sarcasm, being judged or insulted. Now THOSE kinds of posts I have seen plenty of. And I can do without seeing them ever again. And I'm sure they scare off some newbies.

But I've also seen posts that offer some very good advice and offer specific helpful tips for that particular poster taking into account their individual situation. These posts offer the positive feedback that I am sure is welcome.

And by the way, the band fails many people. Read some of the stories on lapband complications, struggling bandsters, and removal. It doesn't work for everyone.

For those who find so-called negative posts irritating, I suggest you quit reading them and/or limit yourself to the "Lapband Success Stories" forum. Plenty of positive posts there.

Now I feel better having gotten that off my chest.

The band is not for everyone. But by and large, those who fail fail the band, not vice versa.

That doesn't mean the responsibility lies completely in their lap. Really, many surgeons do not do a good job identifying patients for whom the band is a good alternative.

I feel very fortunate that my doctor really did consider my specific needs/issues with weight loss before recommending the band (and discouraging bypass). He listened, and he guided me in the right direction. He also provided excellent patient education, including followup classes at 3-month intervals postoperatively.

I wish everyone could have that kind of experience; I think there would be lots more happy bandsters.

Because by and large, the failures don't come from complication. They come from misaligned expectations and poor preparation and follow-through.

Well said, completely true and I agree 110%.

The thing that gets me is the number of posts that say that their band has done nothing they have done all the work.

Yeah right.

If that were true how come they weren't successful in losing and maintaining the weight loss preband.

Yes the band is a tool that is useless if we don't work it correctly but it is a fabulous tool that makes the whole process so much easier.People should give credit where it is due and stop being so negative about the band.

Elcee,

I usually agree with you 100% but I happen to be one of those people refuse to give the band any credit for my weight loss. The band is just a tool and if I wasn't using it as it was intended, it wouldn't work as prescribed. Therefore, I am doing ALL of the work.