Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First really bad PB....

Lord o mercy I had the worse PB tonight...I mean I had the fist in my chest, sliming like crazy and then even throwing up a little...it lasted for about 20 mins and I thought it was never going to end!!! Gotta watch that damn broccoli.

It's almost a rite of passage... Like a bar mitzvah or a first communion, lol. My first bad PB was on Chinese food. Ugh - I'll never eat beef & broccoli again. :D

Hope you're feeling better soon! And don't forget to stay on liquids for a few days. You want to make sure the swelling goes down before you try solids again or you could easily PB.

Sorry you had to endure that, but I'm inclined to agree with Anwynon this one, it's like some sort of rite of passage. The worst part is it was something healthy. Not good, at least if it were a real no-no food it would keep you from craving it again.

Hope you feel better really soon and watch out for those trees:-]

Happy Holidays

Cindy

PB= Productive burp or in my case barf! Boy did I suffer a bad one tonight. DH and I went out to a local steak house for supper. I knew I wouldn't be able to eat a huge steak, but ordered it, along with fries, and a schrimp cabob.(SP?) I nibbled on the schrimp, and steak and ate a spinach salad. Well I ended up in the bathroom twice at the restaurant barfing up phlegm and my supper. Needless to say my steak and supper is in the frig for tomorrow. :think

I'm so sorry that happened to you! Not sure if this will make you feel any better, but I had a PB episode that lasted 3 hours (salami) and a couple of months later I had one that lasted 2 hours (pizza crust). For me, there is a definite hormonal component, the week before my period I have to be super careful. Reading your post, I will avoid broccoli, too. Thanks--Jigglypuff

This is just a suggestion. If I feel that tightnes buildingi my chest I found that if I can drink a little bit it will usually surpass the grueling length of the pain and go away. Luckly my first and second bp's were on a couple french fries I snuck from my kids so I know I totally avoid them :> To bad it was not pizza :>

I too have mega problems with broccoli but I love the stuff, so my head and band often have battles. I make it at home and over steam it, it is doable but in really small amounts (think 2 or 3 teaspoons) My worst PB to date was at bennigans on broccoli, let's just say it came out of my nose, and I was still haveing pain 5 hours later. I had a fill yesterday so I will start the learning process all over again. I am on mushies tomorrow and then soft food monday, normal food tuesday. I think that there should be a chart of foods that are a bad idea with the band, and broccoli should be at the top of the list in bold. ~Mandy

So far I have PB'd 3 times and 2 out of the 3 was on tater tots so I won't be doing any tater tots ever again! It's still so weird to me that some things are fine and others aren't - I could eat a ton of cheetos but one tater tot and it's PB city!

I haven't gotten my band yet but as much as I have read around here broccoli is out! hahaha Not sure I'm going to even want to try it again after surgery. Something soooo good for you seems to cause alot of trouble. Do you think it's the Fiber in the broccoli? Asparagus do the same thing? How about Califlower? Just curious :)

Glad your feeling better!

I eat all the califlower I want (at least until I am full) with no problems. I was told to avoid asparagus pieces, I make asparagus dip, instead of spinich dip and it is just as good. My other biggie is fried potatos, hash, browns and fries. I am fine with baked and mashed taters but fry them or make a hash brown casserole and I am down for the count. I had a really bad PB on McD's hash browns and Cracker Barrel's hash brown casserole, both were pre-op faves. I can't eat anything from McD's anymore, nothing seems to work from there at all for me. I also don't do Burger King but I can have the Chicaen fries from there, but I try to avoid fried foods all together. There is a post around here somewhere about foods that people struggle with. I will see if I can find it and add a link to this post later today. ~Mandy

I can't do taters either, specially FF. It's amazing how after a year ya can still forget and old habits appear, like while you're in the midst of spreading the kids food out, you instinctly pick up a fry, pop it in your mouth, give it a quick chew, then as it's going down your eyes almost pop out and you realize OH chit, this is gonna hurt.