Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psycologist or Dietician?

I am only a week or so post op but I am already having feelings of self sabatoge and strong desires to eat the wrong things.

I am on creamed Soups now but have 3 weeks of pureed before real food.

I very much want this to work and am contemplating getting professional help so that I dont lose any time.

Who is the right person for this? Does anyone see anyone for this same issue?

I think seeing a psychologist (especially if you can find one that specializes in disordered eating) would be very helpful for you. Together you might be able to discover the reasons why and what to do about your feelings of wanting to sabotage yourself.

Best of luck,

I think it's important to note that, during the immediate postop phase when eating is so, so restricted, it is very common to feel obsessed with foods you cannot eat.

With time, advancing diet, and restriction, this usually fades.

I think it's wise to consider what you will do if it persists. A good therapist can be worth his/her weight in gold.

But don't rush to judgment; your response is pretty typical for someone who has been placed on a very restricted diet.

I think both can be very helpful. If you have access to a dietitian through your surgeons office it might be a good idea to make an appointment with him/her and go over what you should be eating, how much, and how often.

If you feel it could benefit you to better understand why you are self sabotaging then maybe you should find a good psychologist/psychiatrist and work together to find those answers.

The band is just one tool I'm using to lose weight. I think of my dietitian and therapist as additional tools to ensure my success.

Edited by MellieW

IMHO 99% of loosing weight and keeping it off for good is in the HEAD. I feel very blessed to have found a wonderful psycologist at my surgeon's office. I have been seeing him once a week since my pre op psyc eval.

Twice in the last 10 years I have lost over 120 pounds only to regain. And that does not count all the Monday morning diets over 40 years.

I get how to loose weight. I need a Psycologiest to help me understant WHAT"S EATING ME.

even a clinical social worker would be great to see!

My doctor has on staff a psychologist and a nutritionist who both specialize in bariatric matters. The psychologist is a great tool to learn about emotional eating and how to deal with it. The nutritionist is a great tool to learn the proper foods to eat to fuel your body on a limited intake. I like having both of them as a resource.

I think at this moment you are obsessed with food and that is only normal considering you are only eating Soup. That said I would probably start with the Nutritionist first because they may be able to give you food ideas that will help you feel like you are actually eating something. One thing I do after fills when I am back to liquids is adding Mrs Dash non salt spices (no I don't work for them) to Soups. Makes a HUGE difference.

Did you have to attend group sessions prior to surgery? My doctor has three group sessions with a Psychologist that you have to attend. I did not so much get the why I do things but more the I'm not alone feeling. Since our society is so judgemental about weight I felt like such a failure because I was not thin like other people. Seeing that other people have my problems was a real eye opener for me. While my mother has been overweight my siblings are not so I aways felt different. I would see if you could find a group led by a professional rather than just an informal support group.

I agree with all the advice above. I wonder if there is a bariatric patient support group in your area. I go to one once a month and find it very helpfull. Good luck to you!

I agree with Betsy. Dont rush to judgement. I was the same way and I am 4 wks post op. the 1st week I would be watching cooking shows for hours and strolling through grocery store and marveling at everything. My family thought it funny. I watched these shows before but it was because of not being able to have it. Once I got on reg food like I am now for past 2 wks its not so bad, but there are times when Im ravenous. As with anything else its takes at least 21 days to form a new habit and we are learning to eat less. The band will be our buzzer if you will if we go overboard and with time we will be conditioned to take in less. I havent had 1st fill yet and struggle each day not to over eat cause I truly love food for the art of it. And I am a practicing clinical social worker/psychotherapist.

I am only a week or so post op but I am already having feelings of self sabatoge and strong desires to eat the wrong things.

I am on creamed Soups now but have 3 weeks of pureed before real food.

I very much want this to work and am contemplating getting professional help so that I dont lose any time.

Who is the right person for this? Does anyone see anyone for this same issue?

You could call your nutritionist to discuss the right foods to eat, and maybe count calories. You could also call your psychologist to discuss your feelings with food and how to deal with them. One day last week I felt like eating "just something". I opted for a yogurt instead of something sinful that I would have eaten in the past. I contacted my nutritionist when after 3 weeks I was extremely hungry. She has always been helpul. Good luck with your journey, I think most of us are having the same feelings.