Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Bummed Out...

Hello all, I am getting very bummed out. I keep losing and gaining the same 4 lbs. I had my first fill on Oct. 4 and my second one will be coming up on Oct. 18. While I feel a tiny bit of restriction, I am getting very hungry between meals and it's getting difficult to control it. My Protein Shakes just aren't cutting it any longer. I plan on talking to the doctor when I see him next week. While I try not to compare myself to some of you who have been successful at losing a fair amount of weight, it's still depressing that I haven't! By the way, I had my surgery on August 24.:puke:

I have had the same problem. I have bounced back and forth between the same 5 pounds for well over a month now. I was banded 7/22. I had 1 fill so far. I am actually going in for my 2nd fill today and am so ready! I do have a little restriction now. I cannot eat french fries, soft breads or some rice. But other than that I can pretty much eat whatever I want. I can't eat as much as I used to be able to but still more than what I know I am supposed to. Sometimes I make good food choices and sometimes not so good ones. I have started exercising 3 times a week, but that hasn't helped with weight loss. The past few weeks have gone like this (I weigh myself once a week): Lost 3 pounds, stayed the same, gained 2 pounds, lost those 2 pounds last week and now this week stayed the same again. So not really making any forward progress. I am hoping my 2nd fill helps me to get some more restriction and I get motivated and start seeing the numbers go down. Don't get discouraged! There are others just like me and you out here struggling. Let's hope once we get to our "sweet spots" that this will get easier! So glad that we have this website to keep each other feedback and know we aren't alone in what we go through and deal with. Thank you!

Excersise is key to weight loss. It's been my saving grace in my weight loss journey. If your not doing it yet, I highly reccomend you do. If you are then bump it up by working out more often, more intensly or for a longer amount of time. The benefits are just too good to pass up. It's very difficult to begin, but it becomes second nature. I hope your next fill does the trick in controling your appetitie. Hang in there, restriction will happen.

I struggled early on as well. As I got more fills, I got restriction. I remember being able to eat just about anything, now I can barely get 4 oz down in one setting. Hang in there, it'll happen.

first of all-do not get bummed out. it only goes down hill from there. I had my surgery on june 7th, 2010. I have lost 52 pounds. I have had my ups and downs too. Last month when i went for a fill, i had gained 6 pounds. talk about discouraged--ugh, i was so dissapointed in myself. but, i re-thought some of the UN wise choices i was making, and I am doing better, and you may not progress anymore until you get more restriction. I have a 14cc band. I am at 8cc right now, but my dr. told me that I would probably have to get to 9, or maybe even 10cc before i hit my sweet spot. keep your head up-things will get better.

Hello all, I am getting very bummed out. I keep losing and gaining the same 4 lbs. I had my first fill on Oct. 4 and my second one will be coming up on Oct. 18. While I feel a tiny bit of restriction, I am getting very hungry between meals and it's getting difficult to control it. My Protein Shakes just aren't cutting it any longer. I plan on talking to the doctor when I see him next week. While I try not to compare myself to some of you who have been successful at losing a fair amount of weight, it's still depressing that I haven't! By the way, I had my surgery on August 24.:laugh:

Why are you still on Protein shakes? Shouldn't you be on food?

Take your measurements now.. and then again in a few weeks. You might be compacting and not realize it. Even though the scale is barely moving, sometimes our bodies are reshaping.

Exercise is also good.

Hang in there.. the graph of my weight-loss looks like rick-rack.. but overall it's downhill.

You felt restriction after your first fill??? CONGRATULATIONS! I don't think I felt any restriction at all until maybe my 4th or 5th fill. You will be on your way to the sweet spot in no time! But seriously, if you compare yourself to others it is a slippery slope to self-sabotage. Learn everything you can about how this tool works. I have read here that people have been told that having the lapband was "taking the easy way out". Nothing could be further from the truth. It takes work, and your success depends on how much work (i.e., exercise, healthy eating, etc.) you put in. Some of us have physical issues that slow our progress, some have emotional issues (i.e., emotional eating, compulsive eating, sugar addiction, etc.), bottom line is you have to keep working at it. Don't give up. Your doctor has an eating plan for you, figure out how to make it work in your favor. (Unless you are like me - my doc would give me a fill and say "tomorrow eat solid foods, no alcohol, no dessert". LOL Funny, but true.) Take your time, learn what works for you and do it! The band takes time and effort. You can succeed. This forum has a lot of support, take what you can use and leave the rest behind.

Oh, one more thing, when I kept gaining and losing the same three pounds ... I STOPPED WEIGHING ALTOGETHER. Now I only weigh at the doc office. I let my clothes do the talking. And, believe or not, they are talking prettly loudly lately. YAY! Don't let things psyche you out. Keep a positive outlook and surround yourself with supportive people. You can do this!

All the best to you on your journey.

~Fran

Don't get discouraged. I went almost 2 months not losing pounds but losing inches. If you are exercising and eating right the pounds will eventually come off. Also, as others said look for more solid Protein sources. We all lose at different speeds.

I am just like you & Robecca. I have gained and lost the same 4lbs for a month! So frustrating. I only have had one fill and have very little restriction. I get my 2nd fill next week. I cant eat as much as I could before the band but I can eat more than 1 cup at a sitting with no problem at all or any feeling of fullness..I am at about 2 cups before I start feeling full. I just keep hearing it will get better and this is the toughest part so I sure hope that is right. Im also having a hard time controlling myself. I find that the hunger is the still the same as before band so I am still having problems with Portion Control. I will be starving and if I am out order a full mean with appetizer and only be able to eat half the meal however still more than I should be eating.

Hi:

This is my first post I just joined and couldn't find a way to make a new post so I am glad I found this.

I did my surgery on 9/27 I was at 232 but gained 17 pounds during the surgery day

I had my 1st post op no-fill, on 10/8 and I was at 222.

Now I am on semi solids, the Dr. said to keep the intake at 1200 calories/ day and this is my challenge

I am not hungry and I dont consume a lot of food I still do the Protein Shakes and just added tuna, cream of wheat and Soups.< /p>

I take around 780/ 850 calories a day I have no cravings but I noticed that I am not loosing weight anymore in the contrary I am gaining like any where between 0.5 to 0.6/ lbs a day.

And I am wondering if it is a repeat of whatever was going on before the surgery.

Anyone went through that I would really appreciate any help. I totally understand the frustration you are going through I feel bumped too, I hiked for 35 minutes last night and I still gained

Cheers to all of you and I know we will all get there at different speeds it is just too new for me

Thank you:thumbup:

I'm losing slowly so far too. I've had 3 fills and don't really feel any restriction. I am PRAYING that I'm just one of those folks who starts to 'feel it' on the 4th or 5th...I had my surgery on 7/30 and so far I've lost about 10-12 lbs (depending on the day). If I had NOT had the lap band I would be fairly happy with that progress since loss has always been tough for me (as for most of us otherwise we wouldn't be here!), but I'm disappointed with my progress so far considering I have this cool new tool that is supposed to be helping me. I keep wondering if mine is broken. I wonder how many people feel this way...percentage wise, I mean...