Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December Bandsters (Early Xmas present)

Today is my last day before my pre op diet starts, kind of sad, I am giving up my old way of life, but on to bigger (smaller) and better things. Tomorrow starts the beginning of the new life. I have been really bad though, since my last appointment, I have been kind of eating the things I am going to miss, so I am up like 3 lbs from my last appointment. I am really embarrassed by this. Hopefully my Dr. will never know though and they will come off in the pre op diet and a few more. Even though the diet is only a week, I should still lose some, right. Hopefully it is not like the time I tried eating only a little bit to lose weight and my weight stalled. I seem to not be able to eat to few calories and lose weight, so kind of worried about that.

One question, during my last appointment my Dr. reminded me, he only wants me eating 3 meals and no Snacks. Personally I don't see how I can get enough calories that way and still lose weight, I mean obviously I will try it, and see if I can do it. But do you think anyone has ever deviated from their Dr.'s reccomendations and had a snack in their. Because one contridictory thing I was told the dietition told me have Protein, veggies, then if your still hungry you can have a small amount of carbs, but my Dr. said no carbs (not sure I can do that). I see people in the post op said they have Snacks during the day and carbs, so obviously it works with those things. Maybe I will post this in the post op forum.

Today is my last day before my pre op diet starts, kind of sad, I am giving up my old way of life, but on to bigger (smaller) and better things. Tomorrow starts the beginning of the new life. I have been really bad though, since my last appointment, I have been kind of eating the things I am going to miss, so I am up like 3 lbs from my last appointment. I am really embarrassed by this. Hopefully my Dr. will never know though and they will come off in the pre op diet and a few more. Even though the diet is only a week, I should still lose some, right. Hopefully it is not like the time I tried eating only a little bit to lose weight and my weight stalled. I seem to not be able to eat to few calories and lose weight, so kind of worried about that.

One question, during my last appointment my Dr. reminded me, he only wants me eating 3 meals and no Snacks. Personally I don't see how I can get enough calories that way and still lose weight, I mean obviously I will try it, and see if I can do it. But do you think anyone has ever deviated from their Dr.'s reccomendations and had a snack in their. Because one contridictory thing I was told the dietition told me have Protein, veggies, then if your still hungry you can have a small amount of carbs, but my Dr. said no carbs (not sure I can do that). I see people in the post op said they have Snacks during the day and carbs, so obviously it works with those things. Maybe I will post this in the post op forum.

As I understand it, the biggest purpose of the pre-op diet is to reduce your carb intake, in an attempt to shrink the physical size of your liver. During surgery they need to move your liver out of the way so they can insert the band. Weight loss during the pre-op diet is not the major goal. A side effect of the diet is weight loss, but it's more about your liver.

I had a three week pre-op diet, but was put on an Atkins-like thing. I ate high Protein, very low carb foods, and it worked fine. I did "cheat" a few times, like on Thanksgiving, but I got back on track the nxt day. I ended up losing weight anyway, and my surgery last Monday went "by the book."

I know it's hard, but try and focus on the ultimate point of getting primed for surgery. Weight loss will happen after the fact. Good luck!

Dave

ok so I go in tomorrow at 9:30 and right now my nerves have me BAD !!!!!!! I have had 4 BIG surgery before and the Dr said this one will be a breeze....i have packed and unpacked my bag and then I took a shower and then i downloaed new songs on the ipod... i am driving myself CRAZY !!!!! all of you that have gone before us what did you do the night before ?!?!?!? any help ???

Amy

Hi guys! I just wanted to say hi and good luck. I got banded on December 24, Christmas Eve last year. It's been a crazy year! There was a lot of pain, frustration, excitement, progress, fear, and support. I am down 130 lbs.! My goal is 50 more :) Good luck to you all!

I drove myself crazy too the night before (last Sunday) too. But I guess I am one of the lucky ones....I knew I wouldn't be staying the night unless there was a problem. My surgery was a breeze...the Dr. said it couldn't have been more perfect. Even without the packing and planning I was driving myself nuts...then my husband and daughter told me to sit down, turned on our favorite show and made me hot tea. I also spent a lot of time of this site reading and re-reading everything I could until the hot tea and calm environment helped me relax.

I was scheduled to go in at 8:45am and then the Surgical Center called me at 7am and asked if I could come in early so the panic started again in the morning to get there asap but the relaxing evening that my family "forced" on me really helped :P !! I was taken back to the surgery suite at 9:11am and being woken up at 10:00am and home by 11:15am. I took the pain meds that my Dr. had me fill before surgery and I did have to use them....mainly for incision discomfort and Gas X for the Gas. Also a heating pad for gas between the shoulders. All-in-all my nerves and craziness the night before was for nothing.

I, too have had major surgeries before but this recovery has been faster. Everyone is different but complications are rare. I had laproscopy before as well and the incisions were tiny...these were much larger than I expected but still the muscle pain was subsiding pretty quickly by Day 3 to 4. Today at Day 6 I can get up and down close to normal.

I suggest you sit down, have a cup of something hot and relaxing and divert your brain! :lol:

Good luck tomorrow!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes! Sending positive RELAXING thoughts your way! B)

Christa

ok so I go in tomorrow at 9:30 and right now my nerves have me BAD !!!!!!! I have had 4 BIG surgery before and the Dr said this one will be a breeze....i have packed and unpacked my bag and then I took a shower and then i downloaed new songs on the ipod... i am driving myself CRAZY !!!!! all of you that have gone before us what did you do the night before ?!?!?!? any help ???

Amy

Amy

I focused on refreshing my memory about the surgery process, what they were going to do, and how I would feel afterward. I read this site extensively, going through old threads to make sure I knew what to expect. I deliberately skipped over "problem" threads, choosing to cross that bridge when and if I ever get there. I made sure I had all my paperwork in order, figured out what I would wear in the hospital for my recovery (they kept me two nights because I had two hernias repaired in addition to getting the band.) I figured out what I wanted to have with me, and basically I tried to concenrate on my new life after surgery,

That was a week ago. I'm pleased to say everything went just as I expected. When I felt discomfort after surgery, I knew it was mainly gas, and what to do for it. By day 2, I was already much improved. After the second night in the hospital, I was itching to go home.

No trouble, no trauma, no surprises. I gained ten pounds in the hospital from the fluids they gave me, so I left the hospital heavier than when I arrived. No biggie. I expected it. That has slowly been going away, and now, on Day 7, I am one pound below my surgery weight. Woohoo! :)

Enjoy the experience, let your surgeon show you why he/she's a pro, and let the hospital staff do their jobs. They were great to me, and it was all pretty anticlimactic.

Good luck wth your surgery. You'll do fine.

Dave

Mine is tomorrow too, i'm not really nervous. I had a pretty serious surgery a couple years ago and they had to completely cut open my stomach, and even that, the recovery wasn't so bad. I had a bit of panic yesterday over, can I really do this? Do I wanna eat like that forever.. Stuff like that. But I think it's worth a shot. Yea, same as Dave, I've been reading a lot of threads here, seeing what people eat, and how they feel. Overall so many people have done so well, I think i can do this.

I guess the only thing that is making me nervous is this icky cold I have, frankly I'm more concerned if i'm gonna actually get to have it tomorrow or not! some people involved are concerned about it, others are not, honestly don't care either way, but I did this whole week of liquid, and all those stupid tests, It'd be kind of a bummer to have to wait and do it all over again.

What on earth is shoulder gas? Anything i should get to prepare for after surgery? They did give me 2 perscriptions one for pain, one for nausea.

Hi everyone! Well, I am now a Dec. bandster - done on the 8th. Have been pretty sore on left side from one of the ports, so still taking meds, but went back to work today (work from home). Surgery went slick - I hadn't had surg since tonsils when I was 7. They kept me overnight, which they routinely do, and I've been doing fine for an "old" gal (I'll be 57 on Dec. 27th). I'm down 9 lbs since 12/1 when I started the full liquid diet. I tried the unflavored Unjury Protein Powder both in yogurt and in Water - it was ghastly. There is no way I can drink that stuff and of course, I bought 2 jars of it, thinking it would have no flavor! Now not sure what to do about getting extra Protein. At this point, I will be doing the full liquid diet for 2 weeks before moving to pureeds. I haven't been hungry at all. I "eat" 3 oz at meals usually Coco Wheats, Soup, yogurt, or pudding. The rest of the time I sip water, broth, sugar free hot chocolate. Very glad the whole surgery-thing is done. Only had 1 time since, that I thought "what have you gone and done, you idiot?" But I quit smoking 2 years ago after smoking for over 30 years and if I could do that, I can do this!! I can be very stubborn :) Keep your chins up, Dec. bandsters - we can do this! Lin

I started my pre op diet today. I did mostly well, stayed away from the Cookies that were out at work, I drank my shakes and had chobani yogurt. We had a meeting and they had pizza and I so wanted it, but I kept my will power and stayed away. Unfo\rtunately the meeting lasted way longer than I expected 2.5 hours and I gave in to a small brownie that was right in front of me. I was annoyed, but I don't think it will be that bad, it is only day one. Worried about tomorrw and wednesday because I am home and hopefully won't think about eating that much, but I am worried.

Done with my surgery! It went well, Took them a while to decide if I was well enough to have it. But I was. I got out at 130. Then recovery. They were really slow doing everything so it took a while to get out.

The pain isn't too bad. Not good, but not unbarable. The WORST is the gas pain!! Definitley walk if you can that helps. Its funny it actually feels like a rubber band is around me stomach haha.

Southern, I got it done at UC Irvine

Today is the day for me. Surgery is slated for 2:15 PM. They originally have me schedule to stay the night, but said I could leave if I felt up to it and the dr/nurses agreed. We'll have to see, I'd rather go home. I'm a bit nervous as I've never gone under the knife before, so I'm not quite sure what to expect. But reading these threads definitely help to ease my mind a bit. Can't wait to actually start eating something other than a Protein Shake, though, that's for sure. 6 weeks can't come fast enough so I can start working out again... See ya'll on the otherside