Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What foods get stuck in your band?

I had my 3rd fill September 24 and have totally given up bread. It isn't worth the pain to me. If I eat red meat, it has to be cooked medium rare, cuz if it's overcooked, it'll get stuck. I cant do chicken. Pasta goes down fine for me. I think everyone is different when it comes to what gets stuck and what wont, but meat and bread seem to be common things that get stuck alot!

For me, chicken breast and hamburger are the meats that give me problems. I still eat hamburger once in a while, but not chicken breast. I also have problems with finger foods, where I tend to take bites that are too big. Dense, doughy breads are sometimes a problem, but it is hit and miss since my last fill. Usually when I get stuck, it is pilot error, not chewing enough, or taking too big of a bite. I got stuck this morning on some potato. I was talking to someone and not payint attention to eating, that is what usually causes it for me!

As to fill level, everyone is different as to what provides adequate restriction, and it is also dependent on the manufacturer. I have about 6cc in my 10cc AP Standard band. Some people prefer tighter, some looser. Some have larger bands. Everyone's anatomy is a bit different. If you have more fat around your stomach, the band will fit tighter.

I had my first stuck experience this weekend. I had just started on 'normal' food. Got invited to a friends house, she was having a curried chicken casserole type thing, with rice., something got stuck and i didn't quite realize what was happening. lots of pressure, not really able to swallow Water or my own saliva. tried the after dinner walk, nothing helped. Tried a warm drink, tried ice water, got up to the bathroom to spit alot, then had to go home. Had to vomit 2 or 3 times could not lie down due to saliva build up.... so gross and scary. The vomiting finally cleared it, but it took forever! Bottom line not sure what got stuck, was it too spicy?

Way better today (2 days later) but i hope that never happens again!

I got banded 10/1/10 and I'm still on liquids.. but I heard that if you get stuck and chew papaya enzymes that helps SO SO much!

I had my first stuck experience this weekend. I had just started on 'normal' food. Got invited to a friends house, she was having a curried chicken casserole type thing, with rice., something got stuck and i didn't quite realize what was happening. lots of pressure, not really able to swallow Water or my own saliva. tried the after dinner walk, nothing helped. Tried a warm drink, tried ice Water, got up to the bathroom to spit alot, then had to go home. Had to vomit 2 or 3 times could not lie down due to saliva build up.... so gross and scary. The vomiting finally cleared it, but it took forever! Bottom line not sure what got stuck, was it too spicy?

Way better today (2 days later) but i hope that never happens again!

If it was breast meat, that is the most likely culprit. I don't even attempt breast meat any more. It is just too dry and sticky for me. Also, it might not have been chewed well enough, or it could have been too big of a bite.

I've never tried papaya enzymes, but many bandsters swear by them and carry them always. You will eventually learn what techniques work best for you for getting unstuck. But for certain, it is no fun at all!

For a while after I got to restriction, I'd pause before a meal to remind myself that I was now banded and I needed to take my time, take small bites, and chew, chew, chew!

I still sometimes run into trouble if I get over hungry and dive into my meal.

Thanks Coco and soulsista, i learned a valuable lesson! It was breast meat... normally what i would have lots of for weight loss! I will buy those enzymes, but i hope there is no next time! Deep breath... eat slowly and chew chew chew!

Thanks Coco and soulsista, i learned a valuable lesson! It was breast meat... normally what i would have lots of for weight loss! I will buy those enzymes, but i hope there is no next time! Deep breath... eat slowly and chew chew chew!

Finding what foods work for us as individuals is a bit of trial and error. I can still eat some breads, some people cannot eat any breads. Take each new substance slowly until you figure out what works for YOU! Also, be very careful when dining with a group, I tend to get more into the conversation, and forget about paying attention to my eating rules. Next thing I know...stuckage!

Nowadays, after 2 1/2 years being banded, almost all of my stuck episodes (which are rare) are due to pilot error. I find myself hitting my forehead saying, stupid, stupd, stupid! :smile: Getting the habits ingrained early is a very good idea.

Even so, what went down fine yesterday might not go down today. It is a truth of banded life. My doctor says it is due to the stomach being a muscle and moving a tiny bit within the confines of the band. Plus our bodies hold differing amouts of fluids, so the band is naturally tighter some days than others.

It can be a bit of a toss of the dice, except that highly processed junk food ALWAYS goes down well, drat it to heck and back!

I had an episode two nights ago with my first "stuck" issue. However mine differs in that it happened about an hour and a half after I had eaten. I had laid down and gone to sleep when this major pain woke me up. Its exactly like how everyone has described their stuck episodes (sliming, hurting bad in the chest, tons of saliva, body thinking about vomiting).

Most everything I have ever read though explains it happening as soon as something gets stuck, while they are still eating at the table or whatever.

Have any of you had it happen a while after you ate?

It was boiled shrimp by the way (scared of them now!)

Μy first episode was 2 hours after dinner.2nd episode was half an hour later,3d episode was 2 minutes after a bite.I dont want to know when my 4th episode will occur :smile:

I have done fine on eggs but breads I can't have. I have had a lot of trouble in the last 5 weeks. Did not get a fill last appt due to vomiting and trouble eating. I still do shakes alot to get Protein since I have been losing hair which scare's me!

I know sometimes I forget and do not chew well. It is hard when you are with friends and you forget! I have to watch chicken that seems to give me a hard time. I am glad to hear others have these problems also!

For me it is soft bread and french fries! I know, I know, I am not supposed to be eating french fries anyway! But sometimes I can't help myself and grab a few of the kids or something. Even though I have got stuck 5 out of the 6 times I have tried to eat french fries, I would still keep trying. UNTIL......last weekend I got stuck so bad on 3 french fries and it hurt SO badly that I was immediately kicking myself in the butt and then I had to go to the bathroom and I slimed saliva like I had not done before and PB'd a little. It was a horrible experience. But guess what? Yep, it cured me from trying to eat anymore dang french fries! I went to McDonalds with my friend today for lunch and she asked me if I wanted any of her french fries. I hesitated for just a second and remembered the pain and discomfort I went through last weekend and said No Thanks! No more fries for me! DONE! :) I can eat toasted bread, tortillas, soft or hard, and crackers. But any soft bread is a No No No! I don't even attempt that anymore and haven't for a while. I did take a bite of my boyfriend's fried rice once and it got stuck badly too. But if I eat rice with sauce on it, it seems to be okay. No problem with chicken or hamburger, so I feel fortunate for that! But it is true that everyone is different on what they can and cannot eat, and that something that gets stuck one day may not get stuck another day. This is definitely a learning process!

I have 7.2cc++ in my band and cant eat french fries they are so rough they cant get through for me