Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Great Pre-Op Experience - Wanted to Share

This is going to be a little lengthy, so I apologize, but I wanted to share my experience today… I’m getting banded on October 19th and I am super excited – especially after today! I had all 3 of my pre-op appointments today and each one was a great experience. I met with my nutritionist, my doctor and then had all of my lab work, chest x-ray & ECG at the hospital where I will have the surgery. There was a lot of information to take in, so I’m glad I have it all in writing. I’ve got a good bit of reading material for the weekend and I was also given a DVD with everything that we discussed today about what to expect the day of surgery and after surgery. I was also given a website with a user ID that has been set up for me so that I stay on track with what I am supposed to be doing each day (pre & post op). I really liked that! I even have a grocery shopping list for the first 6 weeks. I was also so relieved to find out that they go to great lengths to be sure that I don’t get sick after surgery. I have a pill that I am supposed to take the morning of my surgery, they will also give me a patch while I’m at the hospital, meds via IV, a prescription for a nausea medication and I will wear something home that looks like a “watch” that will help with nausea. They said that I can wear this band for as long as I need to and they will give me plenty of gel to go with it. They also gave me a prescription for pain meds and advised me to buy some Gas-X. I also liked the fact that there will not be any stitches that I can see. Everything will be inside and the incisions will be closed with that super glue stuff (don’t remember the proper name for it) and I will not even have to remove any dressing. It will disintegrate and I can shower the next day. My band will not be filled at the time of surgery – they said that the post op swelling along with the band just being there would give me a feeling of fullness until the Fluid is added at 6 weeks. I was a little confused about this, as I have heard some people say that theirs had some fluid and then others have said theirs didn’t. My doctor said that fluid at the time of surgery would definitely make it difficult for me to keep anything down and that's the last thing that we want. He said that the first 6 weeks is for me to heal and then I’ll get my fill. There is so much more to tell, but I’ll cut it off here. Hope this helps someone. Good luck to everybody!

That is a lot of great information. I had my 3rd appointment today with my surgeon. Just waiting on ins approval. I asked him today about if he fills the band at surgery and he said the same thing. With the little bit of Fluid in there and the swelling, I will feel full and still have the time to heal. He does the first fill at 4 weeks though. Good luck, keep us posted!

My surgery date is October 25th. I am concerned because I have seen many people on here post about their pre-op diet. The only diet I was told to do was the 2 days before and that is a clear liquid diet. Did I miss something?

My surgery date is October 25th. I am concerned because I have seen many people on here post about their pre-op diet. The only diet I was told to do was the 2 days before and that is a clear liquid diet. Did I miss something?

I have a 3 day pre-op diet that is Clear liquids all three days except I can have one solid meal the first 2 days. Just have to keep it low carb and low calorie...mainly Protein if I'm not mistaken.

Sun Rae

I'm glad to here how wonderful your experience is going. I get banded on October 19th also. Keep us posted on your progress. I'm a little nervous about the preop diet I'm on for 7 days starting Tuesday,

Hi everyone. Getting banded on October 18th and cannot believe it is coming so fast. A friend of mine who had a band 3 years ago said to me it is time to stop your love affair with food. How true is that for all of us facing this uphill battle. I also have only a 2 day clear liquid diet pre surgery. Of course I was told to diet on my own before surgery but as we all know if we were able to diet successfully we would not have to have surgery..right?? Trying to get out of the "last supper" syndrome. After all we are not going to an executioner's chair we are improving the quality of our lives!! Good luck to all of us - we need it!!

I too am getting my band done on the 19th. I have my pre-op appt. on the 13th. I was told I didn't have to do the pre-op liquid diet but I'm going to start it on Monday. I think it will help me out in the end. Good Luck and God Bless.....

This was all really helpfull I wish I would of discussed more about being sick from anesthesia. All 3 of my surgerys I awoke very ill. I repeatedly vomited for hours, was not pretty. My Surgery is in 2 days (Mon 11th) I am a mixture of emotions Happy, scared, nervous, anxious, excited, I can go on but am sure you can relate. I will be sure when I go in for my surgery in the am to tell them all of my worries about being sick. Gas-x have heard many people say they used it but my Dr. has not mentioned it yet. I am sure all this will come the day of surgery. Good luck!!

Some Dr.s want you to do a 1 or 2 week Liquid Protein diet. Mine was 2 weeks. All drs are diff, for instance mine never said a 2 day clear liquid, just nothing after midnight. Helps shrink you liver for the surgery and gets your mind, and stomach prepaired for the lack of substance in it. But mostly its to loose weight b4 surgery to shrink your liver. I wouldn't worry your DR. knows what they are doing.

Thank you for all your information it helps!!I'm starting my process, I had my first meet with the nutritionist this pass Thursday. Since I'm required by my insurance to do a 3 month diet, I was advice to cut the sugars and keep the carbs low. That's okay with me. My surgeon requires 6 week high Protein diet, low carbs, like two 2 shakes a day low cal less then 1000. I kinda wish he was like everyone else with the 3 day to 2 week requirement. Its okay the process is going fast, and hopefully I will be banded the end of December. I'm happy its happening!

I did forget to mention my pre-op diet in my original post - sorry about that. I had to start the Sugar Busters diet two weeks prior to surgery. It is simply a low carb, high Protein diet. He said this diet will help to shrink the liver and get it ready for the surgery. I've seen lots of people post about having to do a liquid diet before surgery, but my doc does not require it. I cut out my sodas about 3 months ago. It was alot easier than I thought, as I do LOVE Mountain Dew! :D When I met with my nutritionist, she told me that she wanted me to start practicing the eating habits that will help me to keep things from getting stuck when I start back on normal foods after surgery. I cut up everything in pieces no larger than something that you would give a 2 year old, chew each bite at least 25 times (putting down my fork in between bites), eating off of a salad plate to get used to what will be my new portion sizes. The chewing 25 times has really taken some getting used to - I'm used to just gulping it down. Oh yeah, I have already started not drinking 30 min before, during or after a meal. That is also a big adjustment. When you hear them tell you these things, you think "that's easy, I got that", but it really takes some getting used to. Keep posting, everybody! Good luck to everyone!:)

Hi im 54 going in for my surgery on the 20th start my liquid diet sunday the 10th. had to do all the [reop stuff for 6 months and lost on ly 6 ponds so stressfull but now im on my way.

I had my first dr 4 hour apt on the 22 of sept and talked to my nurise for the first hour she also had the lap band and she sugested oct not to drink with meals nov not to drink 30 mins before and after and so as of oct 1st I don't drink with meals but had sliped up 2 times and drank with my meal opps lol tonight was the 2 time didn't even occur to me till 1/2 way through.