Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My scale is not moving!!!!

Okay so I was banded on 9-21-10 and of course for the first week the scale was moving like crazy, like ten lbs the first week. This second week my weight has been fluctuating between the same 3 lbs and I can't lose! Did anyone else go through this so recently after surgery? Any ideas for getting the scale to start moving again? Help I am starting to get discouraged!

you need to start doing exercise.....that helps trigger the weight loss.....after you're in a stall....which is perfectly normal. don't lose patience....your scale will start moving....goodluck!!!:unsure:

Okay so I was banded on 9-21-10 and of course for the first week the scale was moving like crazy, like ten lbs the first week. This second week my weight has been fluctuating between the same 3 lbs and I can't lose! Did anyone else go through this so recently after surgery? Any ideas for getting the scale to start moving again? Help I am starting to get discouraged!

I am 6 weeks post op and the scale stopped moving for me after weeks 2. I hope that after I get a fill the scale will start to move again...Hang in there concentrate on healing right now not weight loss. Good Luck....

I can so relate! I have only dropped 6 since surgery......and the scale wont budge. I have been exercising and still nothing since day 5 after surgery. I was banded 9/20. I keep telling myself that maybe when I get to the point where I'm consuming more than 600 calories a day and can get back up to 1000 or so, the weight will start coming off. Right now, I think my body thinks its starving.

I am there with you... also banded on9/21...lost 11 pounds the first week..but have actually gained 2 pounds in the last few days....discouraging!!!!

Your weight will naturally flucuate from day to day. This is from Fluid retention, hormones et.. Try to only weigh yourself once a week. Everyday flucuations are enough to drive you crazy.

I had surgery on 9/30. I am trying to get more calories in, via my full liquid diet (using Protein Shakes, etc). I was steadily losing until surgery, when I gained 4 pounds in Fluid weight. I lost the 4 pounds I gained and lost one more pound. I think when I was only taking in 500 calories/day after surgery, my body kicked in to starvation mode. If I keep it around 1000 calories, my body starts to lose again.

I can really relate. Prior to banding I had been exercising and dieting for over seven months and had lost about 55 pounds. After surgery I lost about 18 in a couple weeks. Now I am stalled. I continue to exercise 7 days a week an hour a day; and go out and about to stores walking around. I very religously weigh my food so I don't think it's becuase I am over eating; and I am certainly exercising enough. I've had one fill two weeks ago; and I can't have another for another week. I will be calling to check for cancellations because right now I am dieting and hungry. This I find frustrating because prior to the surgery I was dieting but not hungry and loosing weight.

And yes I'm whining and it's rainy and crappy out today so I admit it!

I can totally relate. I was banded on 09/21 and my weight is just not moving. My doctor told me to not exercise until week 6. ?????????? He explained that if I exercise I could develop hernias and my incisions won't heal well and they could be ugly incisions. Has anyone started to exercise before that?

Ok Im not an expert girls but let me tell you this..I was banded July 14th lost about 25 pounds the first couple of weeks then stalled a pound here and a half a pound there. Even gained a couple ounces some weeks.While being depressed about it my husband kept saying you arent getting enough Protein over and over he said it. I just thought he didnt know what he was talking about and I was gonna do this my way. then he started saying your doctor said the more protein you get the more you will lose. Soooo I went to the GNC store where I met this HOT little nutritionist/personal trainer. Funny how I listened to everything he said. Anyway I told him my story and he told me to try Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. If you mix it in the blender with ice it taste like a wendys frosty.No lie. Sometimes I add a little instant coffee for a jamoca. Anyway it has 60 grams of protein. I had it for Breakfast everyday last week and lost 10 pounds without changing anythng else.I have more energy. I feel stronger and I was usually starving at 2pm when I eat lunch, now I have to make myself eat a little something. So PUSH IN MORE PROTEIN!!!!!!

I am there with you... also banded on9/21...lost 11 pounds the first week..but have actually gained 2 pounds in the last few days....discouraging!!!!

Totally!!! How obnoxious!!! It's seriously pissing me off.

Thank you all, I'm going to keep going on my high Protein and making sure i'm getting enough calories. I've started working out.. I can't do a lot right now but i'm trying . Hoping eventually it will pay off.

The leveling off your weight loss or even gaining some back during the recovery period is normal. Don't worry. If you stay with the plan you will start losing again after your first few adjustments. Continue eating whatever your Dr. has told you, but don't overdo it. Protein, protein, protein. Water, water, water.

Yep! I'm right there with ya!

I was also banded on 9/21 and within the first 5 days I had lost 15.5 lbs and gained 3 lbs back. The scale hasn't moved since.

I'm trying very hard to keep things in perspective. 12.5 lbs in 2 weeks is huge and on an intellectual level I get that. But it's hard to not view it emotionally. I'm hungry and I want that scale to validate my hunger and frustration by moving down!! :thumbdown:

I'll also admit that it's hard to not worry this will be just another failed attempt at weight loss. I know for me that's where my frustration is coming from.....fear. If that scale isn't moving it feeds my fear that this won't work. I know it's silly to expect anything to happen this quickly, but it is what it is. I've never claimed patience was my strong suit. :)

Hey I know the struggle and I am sure everyone here does. I lost 14 lbs the week of and after surgery combined. Then gained back 7 as soon as that 10 day post surgery hump was over and I felt like my old self, hence ready to eat and drink again.

After surgery you must think that you didn't feel good I assume like when sick so you didn't have much to eat or drink (or just drink) the anesthesia and pain meds are messing with you and basically you are just there for the ride.

Once you are actually good and hydrated again sure you will gain some weight back and then for a while your body will go into a "freak out" mode wondering why no cheeseburgers, where is my coke etc, are you trying to starve me, so it is just natures way of making sure you are not going to die.

Don't worry about the first few months. Even though I understand you just paid who knows how much to have a surgery that is suppose to help you lose weight.

It will happen. It's kinda like having a baby and the baby blues that goes with it, every day is a learning curve, every day will have a new challenge and when you look back at the first year post op you will be like OMG look how much I have changed.

Take pics and journal. If you don't have someone that you trust to take the pics get in front of a mirror at first. Journal what you eat, what you maybe wanted to eat and didn't, how that made you feel (think empowered not deprived). Write down one praise for yourself every day. Even if you did poloish off a bag of Cookies or a crackers.

Good luck, this is a life experience you will never forget