Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not loosing any weight

I had my surgery Sept. 17 and I lost only 11 pounds till now. Is that normal?? Also one of my stitches came open and it is not healing. My Doctor say's give it time but Lord I'm really worried at this point

Perfectly normal.

Most people don't lose much at this stage. The real weight loss kicks in once you have had a few fills, and even then you should only expect to lose one to two pounds a week.

While it is possible to lose weight during the post-op phase prior to fills. It is done with traditional diet and exercise. The tool of the band doesn't really kick in until your fills give you proper restriction.

1-2 pounds per week average is what we can expect. Some lose more, some less.

If the stitch area is red, inflamed, hot to the touch, or draining, or you have a fever call your surgeon again and be seen or go to an Urgent Care or Emergecy room. Otherwise, if the skin is healthy, there is not much that can be done.

I had an incision on my foot that came open after stitch removal, it was about a half inch long. There was no redness or tenderness, but it scared the daylights out of me. I went to urgent care. They explained to me that they could not restitch the wound and unless it was infected there was nothing to treat. They put a bandaid on it to keep it clean and sent me on my way.

If you have ANY sign of infection, get seen.

Thanks so much to both of you for the reply. :unsure:

I had my surgery on October 1st. I'm still sore and tired and am getting a little sick of the liquid diet already. I need encouragement to stick to this. I'm scared that I would have gone through all counseling and now the surgery and I will fail. I don't get much support from my family so it's very hard for me to do this on my own.

I am concerned about the amount of burping that I do. Is this normal? I'm only drinking liquids so how can I be burping?

Does anyone have any suggestions how to make the liquid diets more appealing with more variety?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Debbie

:confused:I had my surgery on October 1st. I'm still sore and tired and am getting a little sick of the liquid diet already. I need encouragement to stick to this. I'm scared that I would have gone through all counseling and now the surgery and I will fail. I don't get much support from my family so it's very hard for me to do this on my own.

I am concerned about the amount of burping that I do. Is this normal? I'm only drinking liquids so how can I be burping?

Does anyone have any suggestions how to make the liquid diets more appealing with more variety?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Debbie

Burping is completely normal. All the air they put into your body for the surgery has to come out. Plus with the narrower opening i find I really burp a lot when I drink even 3 months post op. As you get tighter the burps happen pretty much each time your swallow liquid but its a good thing not a bad. I know that during that first 2 weeks you pray every day to burp lol.

It is normal to be hungry and sick of that liquid diet. First you were probably on the liver diet prior to it so you have had pretty much liquids for over a month. My best advise stick it out til you can go to softies and then normal Protein. I had my first stuck episode last week and it taught me a VALUABLE lesson about slowing down and savoring the food. Also until you have a fill your band is either empty or has a small amount of primer Fluid in it. Until you have your first fill your stomach is pretty much normal just a bit of swelling going on. Focus on the next two weeks about staying healthy, chewing, and learning to listen to the band, the joys will come, it just takes a bit of time.

Thanks for the response. I'll just have to count on this new lapbandtalk forum to answer my questions. I don't know anyone else who has gone thru this procedure so it's nice to talk to people who have the actual experience.

To debbie - I burped a lot too! actually still do!

To poster: i am in the same boat. had surgery on 9/21 and lost about 12 lbs and now NOTHING. Its infuriating! I get a fill in 3 weeks but waiting is TORTURE!

I too had surgery the 17th. I've lost 15 lbs since surgery, but most of that was right away. I've stayed the same for the past week and a half. Since I'm following all of the "rules" for eating, I've decided I'm not going to worry about it. There is no way I can stay this weight forever if I keep doing what I'm doing-- it'll eventually start coming off again.

I also had one of my incisions come "unglued" early. I'm on a preventative antibiotic (I asked for it because I worried about infection), but just like Cocoabean said, the treatment is a bandaid :thumbup: Freaky, but I'll tell you my incision is healing just fine, just maybe a little slower.

I had my surgery Sept. 17 and I lost only 11 pounds till now. Is that normal?? Also one of my stitches came open and it is not healing. My Doctor say's give it time but Lord I'm really worried at this point

Hi There!

Yep, I had my surgery September 16th and I've only lost 3 pounds since surgery, but lost 10 pounds during the two week pre-op phase. Amazing, huh? I thought there was something wrong with me until I read all these posts and found it is pretty normal. I'm so amazed that for the first two weeks after surgery, I couldn't eat much AT ALL and only lost a few pounds. Now, I feel like I don't even have the band since all the swelling is gone and I can eat like I did before surgery. However, now is the time I'm relying on behavior mod and exercise and trying to accept that I won't feel the restriction until after my first or second fill. So....I think we are normal in that regard:cool: I can't speak to the healing issues, but others on here seem to have some solid recommendations!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Matchamaiden

I like to thank everyone for answering and giving me moral support when I was was worried

Now I have lost 14 pounds and still counting :) Have my 1st fill on October 19 looking forward to it. My wound is slowly heeling. Now I have developed really dry skin. Can anyone tell me what to do. I'm using Lotion and Baby oil lots of it.

So much - Your body is healing still, take one day at a time and focus on eating healthy foods to help you heal. I like aveeno oatmeal body wash in the shower. I live way up north and the harsh winters are hard on the skin but this body wash helps WAY more than baby oil! Once you get to your sweet spot you will start to see a more consistant weight loss.

I had my lap band surgery on Sept. 13th and have only lost 7 pounds so far. My doctor says that is fine and that you should only lose 1-2 pounds a week.

So I would say your doing great!

The weight didn't come on over night so it won't go over nite.....keep thinking positive.