Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. 2010 Bandsters !!!

Good Morning everyone!

I have some good news, I was able to eat 1/4 cup of egg beaters this morning. After a week of nothing solid that made me feel good.

I hope everyone has a great weekend biggrin.gif

Happy Weekend!! I just got on myfitnesspal.com and i love it. great tool to have if you don't already use it and you can download the app to your smartphone

just thought i'd put in my two cents about the 100 pound loss question. i honestly don't believe any of mine was luck. i work my BUTT off. i work out, on average, 2 hours a day...and it's not just two hours of walking. i do lap swimming 35 minutes at 5:30 am three times a week; i take an hour of zumba 2 nights a week; i walk the dogs for at least 45 minutes on those days; i walk during my lunch break for a half hour every day unless it's raining; and i run between 3-5 miles on the days i don't have zumba. i exercise seven days a week and have since surgery. i also eat between 650-850 calories most days, keeping my carbs very low (generally between 30-50 g a day). those calories and carbs include everything - Vitamins and Calcium included. i'm very, very strict. now that i'm 7 pounds away from goal, i'm starting to incorporate more carbs into my diet - mostly fruit - but honestly, for the first 10 months, i rarely had any fruit, bread, Pasta, etc because they were just way too carby. i'm a vegetarian, who has learned to eat more fish, so my diet really consists of veggies and low carb sources of Protein only.

wow ha ha, that is hard core, can you tell me more

so first I want to make sure I got the 2 hours- basically it is either an hour of zumba or running a day, plus walking the dogs, and walking on your lunch, that is great,

I am wondering if you'd be willing to lay out what a typical day looks like with food/ portiions, 650 - 850 with all the activity is amazing. also if you are willing to share your supplements that you take. I'm just trying to find a way to get there, I am hovering at about11100 a day but I am notlosing, so I'm going for a fill, and i want to start something new. but I can't imagine what that looks like without seriously holding back on nutrition.

Lisa,

I'll give you the run down of my typical week exercise and nutrition-wise.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday - lap swimming for 35 minutes at 5:30 am, 30 minute walk around 12:30 pm, 35 minute walk with the dogs 4:30 pm, 60 minute zumba (all except Friday) 6 pm

Tuesday/Thursday - 30 minute walk 12:30 pm, 45 minute walk with the dogs 4:30 pm, 3-5 mile run 6 pm, 45 minute video - either kickboxing or some other cardio

Saturday - 60 minute boot camp 9 am, 60 minute walk with the dogs (sometimes longer)

Sunday - 60 minute walk with the dogs, run and/or video

As far as my diet goes, it's pretty monotonous, especially during the work-week. It generally looks like this:

Breakfast 10 am - fat free plan greek yogurt with .33 serving of Protein powder mixed in (146 calories, 26.6 g protein)

snack 1 pm - Protein shake (30 grams Protein, 160 calories)

lunch 3:30 pm - 1 hard boiled egg, 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese, 2 oz raw veggie (cauliflower, broccoli, or carrots) (about 132 calories, about 14.4 g protein)

Snack - 6ish pm - Protein Shake and one serving PB2 (115 calories, 18 g. protein)

dinner - 8 pm - large salad with either tuna, salmon, edamame, bun-less veggie burger, or tofu - salad includes 3 oz romaine lettuce, 0.3 oz alfalfa sprouts, 2 oz broccoli, 2 oz cauliflower, 2 oz mushrooms, 1 oz celery, 1 oz green or red pepper, 1 oz carrots, 1/2 tablespoon greek dressing - 88 calories for salad without protein, protein ranges from 60-100 calories. Lately I've added in a small amount of fruit - 4 oz peach, 1 small plum, 4 oz mango, 6 oz apple, or a large Tomato.

I take one chewable Multi-Vitamin per day, 1200 Calcium - one at Breakfast, one at dinner, 2 times a week, I take a B12, and 2-3 times a week, I take 1000mg D3. (my multi-vitamin and calcium are an extra 30 calories per day)

I just had my blood taken last Saturday in preparation for my year appt on the 20th. I'll know better then how my Vitamin levels look, but I'm really strict with taking my Vitamins. Eventually, when I'm in maintenance, I'd like to up my calorie intake to somewhere between 1000-1200 per day, but for right now, I'm sticking with the range I've been eating.

I hope that helps!

that's great, you are really working girl, it's inspirational. thanks for taking the time.

ok, finally 2 lbs off last week, geesh,

I am really concentrating again, I think I slipped into the same old same old

today however I forgot my lunch and my Snacks and there are freaking donuts,

I will ignore even though I am straving, luckily there is some little cubes of cheese I can snack on a little to get me to lunch, not much worse then my cheese stick.

Well you are doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to you

just thought i'd put in my two cents about the 100 pound loss question. i honestly don't believe any of mine was luck. i work my BUTT off. i work out, on average, 2 hours a day...and it's not just two hours of walking. i do lap swimming 35 minutes at 5:30 am three times a week; i take an hour of zumba 2 nights a week; i walk the dogs for at least 45 minutes on those days; i walk during my lunch break for a half hour every day unless it's raining; and i run between 3-5 miles on the days i don't have zumba. i exercise seven days a week and have since surgery. i also eat between 650-850 calories most days, keeping my carbs very low (generally between 30-50 g a day). those calories and carbs include everything - Vitamins and Calcium included. i'm very, very strict. now that i'm 7 pounds away from goal, i'm starting to incorporate more carbs into my diet - mostly fruit - but honestly, for the first 10 months, i rarely had any fruit, bread, Pasta, etc because they were just way too carby. i'm a vegetarian, who has learned to eat more fish, so my diet really consists of veggies and low carb sources of Protein only.

Does it feel like your body is giong into starvation mode at any time? Did you just become a vegatarian after the surgery.

Lisa,

I'll give you the run down of my typical week exercise and nutrition-wise.

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday - lap swimming for 35 minutes at 5:30 am, 30 minute walk around 12:30 pm, 35 minute walk with the dogs 4:30 pm, 60 minute zumba (all except Friday) 6 pm

Tuesday/Thursday - 30 minute walk 12:30 pm, 45 minute walk with the dogs 4:30 pm, 3-5 mile run 6 pm, 45 minute video - either kickboxing or some other cardio

Saturday - 60 minute boot camp 9 am, 60 minute walk with the dogs (sometimes longer)

Sunday - 60 minute walk with the dogs, run and/or video

As far as my diet goes, it's pretty monotonous, especially during the work-week. It generally looks like this:

Breakfast 10 am - fat free plan greek yogurt with .33 serving of Protein powder mixed in (146 calories, 26.6 g protein)

snack 1 pm - Protein shake (30 grams Protein, 160 calories)

lunch 3:30 pm - 1 hard boiled egg, 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese, 2 oz raw veggie (cauliflower, broccoli, or carrots) (about 132 calories, about 14.4 g protein)

Snack - 6ish pm - Protein Shake and one serving PB2 (115 calories, 18 g. protein)

dinner - 8 pm - large salad with either tuna, salmon, edamame, bun-less veggie burger, or tofu - salad includes 3 oz romaine lettuce, 0.3 oz alfalfa sprouts, 2 oz broccoli, 2 oz cauliflower, 2 oz mushrooms, 1 oz celery, 1 oz green or red pepper, 1 oz carrots, 1/2 tablespoon greek dressing - 88 calories for salad without protein, protein ranges from 60-100 calories. Lately I've added in a small amount of fruit - 4 oz peach, 1 small plum, 4 oz mango, 6 oz apple, or a large Tomato.

I take one chewable Multi-Vitamin per day, 1200 Calcium - one at breakfast, one at dinner, 2 times a week, I take a B12, and 2-3 times a week, I take 1000mg D3. (my multi-vitamin and calcium are an extra 30 calories per day)

I just had my blood taken last Saturday in preparation for my year appt on the 20th. I'll know better then how my Vitamin levels look, but I'm really strict with taking my Vitamins. Eventually, when I'm in maintenance, I'd like to up my calorie intake to somewhere between 1000-1200 per day, but for right now, I'm sticking with the range I've been eating.

I hope that helps!

Congrats!!

I wont know if I've lost anything until the 25th. I'm still refusing to buy a scale.

ok, finally 2 lbs off last week, geesh,

I am really concentrating again, I think I slipped into the same old same old

today however I forgot my lunch and my Snacks and there are freaking donuts,

I will ignore even though I am straving, luckily there is some little cubes of cheese I can snack on a little to get me to lunch, not much worse then my cheese stick.

I was a year Sept 7th and have only lost 50lbs. I say only 50, but 50 is better than none. I am disappointed in my loss, especially when a close friend of mine had it done end of June this year and already has lost 47lbs. She did start with a full band though.

Congrats to all of you who lost 100+ pounds so far!! What an accomplishment! I think any weight loss is better than a weight gain.

I already have 11cc in a 14cc band. I am thinking I should have went with the bypass. I was against it when I went to the Dr to begin my weight loss journey, but now have regrets about my decision. I want to see what my options are for a revision surgery, but not sure if insurance will cover it now that my BMI is lower than requirement level. If I can't get a revision then I will have to be happy with what I have. My Dr said your first year is the best year..hopefully I can prove him wrong!

you can prove him wrong, remember bypass doesn't always work either. I'm sorry you are feeling down, 50 is great, I personally had never lost 50 before, and I feel like I'm really keeping the weight off, really if you count the steady 10 lbs I've gained every year in forever, I also lost that right, because I didn't gain. and you too! don't give up hope, try a different eating regiment.

ebreeze824,

I've been a vegetarian for about 13 years, right as I graduated from high school. However, I was a carby vegetarian and really never focused on getting in Protein. Now that's changed. I'm on the fence about starvation mode. I hear so many conflicting things. Some people will argue vehemently that it's a real thing, while others don't believe it is. I think I lie somewhere in the middle. For the vast majority of the time, I don't feel real body hunger. Head hunger is a whole other story. I do want to start increasing my calories a little bit once I lost a few more pounds and get to about 1100-1200 a day to see how that works. Because I still have some to lose, I've just been really paranoid to do that yet. It's mostly just an unfounded fear I'd think, but after years of having my life revolve around food in such an unhealthy way on one end of the spectrum, I think I'm kind of on the other end of the unhealthy obsession now. My goal, with the help of my therapist, is to get to a point where food just is, where I don't obsess over it or punish myself with it or because of it. Obviously, I'm not there yet, but hopefully I will be at some point.

Does it feel like your body is giong into starvation mode at any time? Did you just become a vegatarian after the surgery.

what is stravation mode, is that question asking if you feel really hungry all the time. or is there something else.

my understanding of starvation mode is that your body will hold on to fat when you are under a certain amount of calories per day - some say 1000, others 1200 - thus preventing you from losing weight.