Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you take ibuprofen?

I was told no NSAID's (i.e. ibuprofen) after banding. There is a lot of conflicting information being given out by the doctors (carbonation anyone?), so I was just wondering if anyone here has been taking ibuprofen at all. I've been having sciatica problems the last few days. I don't want to hurt my band, but nothing helps it like ibuprofen. I've stuck to tylenol so far. I guess what I'm asking is... Were you told by your doctors to avoid NSAID's? Do you guys think it's okay to take ibuprofen occasionally?

Hi there!

I will take ibruprofen occasionally. It is on the list of meds not to take though.

I guess it rather inflammatory to the pouch. Tylenol doesn't seem to do a damm thing for me. I know when I do take ibuprofen, I make sure to drink plenty of Water with them..Just a mental thing I guess..I like to think that by drinking a ton of Water with them, I am washing them through my pouch into my stomach.

I had sciatica when I was pregnant. It is absolutely horrible.

Hope you're feeling better.

S.

As far as Advil, I was told it's a no no and I spent too much money on the band to screw it up. Of course I didn't believe about sodas and tried one with really painful results. My doctor said more than pain, sodas can puff up your top pouch and make it bigger. Again, I spent too much money to have to start over. I will learn.

I was just wondering this same thing only because.....

I had a major headache at work the other night and a coworker gave me some liquid capsule Advils. They are green liquid inside of a quick dissolving capsule.

I went ahead and took them, and sure enough, headache was gone within a half hour.

I guess that I was thinking the major concern with NSAIDS is that they can sit in your pouch and be ulcerogenic in nature. But with something that dissolves that quickly, that concern would be alleviated. Correct?

So I'm hoping that it would stand to reason that the occassional liquid Advil would be an ok thing. I just bought a bottle of them without even thinking that they had ibuprofen in them. Hello!

Anyone else's input on this? They work fast and don't sit in the pouch, so my guess is that they would be ok for the occassional headache.

I have taken ibuprofen, maybe 3 times since banding, no ill results that I can determine. I do not have a tight fill, though, and didn't notice anything being stuck.

I'm interested in the responses to this question...it is hard to sort out if "size" or "content" is the problem behind different medications.

Cindy

Most docs say no NSAIDS, and it's not just because of fear of the pill sitting in the pouch. Even liquid NSAIDS have a risk, and though I'm not clear on the scientific details it has something to do with the way they work. The action of the medication actually thins the lining of the stomach, not just irritates it where the pill is sitting. It can lead to increased gastric sensitivity over time, not just when you're taking the actual medication and for the short time it's in your stomach.

I have taken ibuprofen once, for a pain that didn't respond to anything else. The real risk is if you take it on a regular basis for any length of time. Talk with your doctor if you think you really need it more than very occasionally (once a month?), maybe there's something else out there that will work better and is safer.

Can't say anything too much on this topic except my doctor is OK with liquid Advil Liquigels! Go figure. There are so many conflicting things about this band and every doctor seems to be so totally different (that's definitely something I have observed). I think moderation is definitely the key!!

My doctor said that I can take ibuprofen "as needed" for my monthly cramps without fear. He said to drink lots of Water with it, and it shouldn't be a problem. It came up at a support group meeting, and it seems that when bands were first being placed the general advise was a lot of NO's to everything - now they have eased up a bit, and don't think it causes the problems it was believed they caused.....My doctor's rule is that it is ok to take any pill the size of a thumb tack or smaller without worry.

But always go by your doctor's advice!

I take (Lexapro) which is anti-anxiety drug, on daily basis

Do you think it is a problem to keep taking it, after I get my band? And can you take other pills (except NSAIDS) with the band?

My doc said only Tylenol. Said NSAIDS were a stomach irritant and didn't want to do anything to irritate it or the band. I can only take the liquid because of the amount of fill. I used to take Zoloft and had to crush it up because it got stuck a few time and hurt soo bad. I have since weaned off of it.

I take (Lexapro) which is anti-anxiety drug, on daily basis

Do you think it is a problem to keep taking it, after I get my band? And can you take other pills (except NSAIDS) with the band?

I take Lexapro, 20mg a day. I had my psychiatrist change my prescription to 10mg twice a day instead because the pills are smaller. I was told by the nurses not to take any pills ever again, but the doctor said that my lexapro and birth control pills are okay.

I feel like I'm dying without ibuprofen. I am achy and sore, and tylenol does nothing but my doctor forbids any NSAIDs. I didn't think that getting a band would mean that I'd have to be in pain for the rest of my life!

I don't have my band yet but I was told by the Nutrionist, my nurse and the orientation physician no NSAIDs and all other medications have to be in liquid form or crushable.

As far as Sciatica...oh man I had that for 3 months. The pain is unreal and can definately bring you to the edge. I feel for you there. I went to a sports medicine therapist who helped me stretch those muscles out and helped relax them. He taught me what I need to do to keep it at bay as well. Maybe you'll want to that as well? Worth a shot!