Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded but don't work out

I have a question does everyone that has the lap band work out? I have a friend that got the lap band done a few years ago and she never worked out but lost a lot of weight.

I think it helps you to loose weight faster and to tone muscles if you exercise. The key is finding an exercise that you like.

Growing up I was never a fan of swimming because 1) public pools used so much chlorine which I had horrible reactions, 2) lap swimming is soooooo boring. After having horrible knee pain and having to start loosing weight; I started swimming. It a whole new world at pools today; they use less chlorine and disinfect the Water with special lights. Also I discovered a Water proof MP3 player which makes swimming so much more fun.

I am a bad girlie who does not exercise as she should. I am down 70 lbs and have reached a normal BMI. My doctor wanta me to lose a bit more, but I'd really have to work at it. But also, my fasting blood sugar is slightly elevated (105), I could probably bring that down if I did something daily.

That said, I am MUCH more active than I was 70 lbs ago. For example, each year we go camping up the central Calif. Coast. We stay in a park that is about half a mile from town for a week. In years past I always wanted to drive into town. Now it doesn't even cross my mind. We always walk, every time. Once or twice a day. I try to work more activity into my life.

But, I know if I did a more disciplined program, I'd be in better shape and at a lower weight.

As Honk said, it is about finding something you like, I don't like it! :smile:

You don't have to hit the gym daily, but moving your body really does help...even if you walk. Walking is really good for your whole body, and keeps all of your joints moving.

I workout nearly every day but I have to keep my mind off of the whole idea that I'm working out while I do it. Typically that I means I'm listening to my favorite songs or songs that take me "back" so that my mind is going through many many years as the songs play.

When I go to the gym (not every time I workout do I go to the gym) I usually do it when one of my favorite shows is on TV and while it at the gym while I walk on the treadmill.

I agree that it's about finding something you like to do. Not required I suppose but this is about health, not just weight loss. I workout for my health, not for weight loss. So for me, it's also about changing the point of view.

I think it helps you to loose weight faster and to tone muscles if you exercise. The key is finding an exercise that you like.

Growing up I was never a fan of swimming because 1) public pools used so much chlorine which I had horrible reactions, 2) lap swimming is soooooo boring. After having horrible knee pain and having to start loosing weight; I started swimming. It a whole new world at pools today; they use less chlorine and disinfect the Water with special lights. Also I discovered a Water proof MP3 player which makes swimming so much more fun.

I'd love to know more about the waterproof mp3 player. I was doing water aerobics, but, the class is too "old" for me.

Thanks, and good luck everyone!

I work out 3 times a week. I don't want to be flabby when I lose weight plus I feel good when I excersize!

I know someone who is banded and doesn't do "formal" exercises as in going to the gym because of other health concerns.

Their doctor just tells them it will probably take them longer to reach goal, but that there's no reason they can't.

I think this person I know would engage in more structured activities if their health allowed.

you can lose weight without working out. The difference between you and someone who DOES work out is that you'll probably lose slower, wont lose as much and will lose more muscle/less fat.

In a really bad scenario when you diet strictly (like Atkins) and dont workout at all, you might even become the dreaded 'skinny fat', where you're tiny but saggy, flabby and have not actually improved your health and vital stats much at all, if not worsened them.

However, in most cases, you'll become more active as you lose and you might not formally exercise, but you are active and really, if that's all you want out of fitness, then what's wrong with that? Its no secret that I think that everyone who doesnt get REALLY fit is missing out on one of life's greatest secrets, but its also true that not everyone wants that level of fitness. Do what makes you happy and what you can sustain, but bear in mind that when you get to old age, you might be mighty glad you kept your cardiovascular and muscular systems in very good shape.

I have a question does everyone that has the LAP-BAND® work out? I have a friend that got the LAP-BAND® done a few years ago and she never worked out but lost a lot of weight.

Nope. When I was at my highest of 330, I dropped 70 pounds without exercising. I've dropped another 35 pounds since without exercising...but more slowly.

The closer we get to our goal weight, the more slowly we will lose weight if we don't increase our activity. Remember, weight loss or gain has to do with calories taken in vs. calories used.

As our weight drops, our calorie needs drop as well. Which means we'll start losing more slowly and have more stalls...weeks where we won't lose at all because the difference in the calories we're eating vs expending may amount to only 2 lb of loss per month.

I detest exercise and have no plans to start a formal exercise program unless I find something I enjoy doing. Now that the school year has started, our local high school holds swim aerobics for adults once a week. Since they only use half the pool, I go in and swim laps in the deep end for an hour. It's a beginning.

Find something you enjoy doing...Richard Simmons, Zumba, Curves...whatever. Ignore the 'expert's' advice on you must get to your target heart rate, no pain/no gain, or whatever idea they're pushing. Work at your comfort level and just move. It's a beginning.

I think you'll find as you take off the weight that you actually enjoy moving...because it's easier. :smile:

In a really bad scenario when you diet strictly (like Atkins) and dont workout at all, you might even become the dreaded 'skinny fat', where you're tiny but saggy, flabby and have not actually improved your health and vital stats much at all, if not worsened them.

This is how I lost my weight and did not exercise. My health and vital stats improved tremendously. My blood sugar levels went from over 200 to around 100, my good cholesterol went up, my bad cholesterol and triglycerides went down. I had tremendous energy and was clear headed and best of all, never hungry as I was on typical so-called 'balanced' diets that had less fat, less calories and more carbohydrates. I was not saggy and flabby either...or at least no more so than anyone who loses 70 pounds, but eventually my skin snapped back.

I am once again on a strict Atkins regimen and loving it!

I think exercise is perhaps the most crucial part of the equation--especially when it comes to reaching goal (rather than just "losing a lot") and maintaining goal weight.

I can't imagine not incorporating exercise into the new lifestyle--it defies logic, if one's goal is to lead a longer, healthier life (and look better--because it factors heavily into that, too).

I do agree that exercise doesn't have to be punishing or daunting. Lacing up a pair of sneakers and walking is a perfectly good way to incorporate exercise into your life.

You can definitely lose without exercise, but depending on your age, genetics, etc. it may not be a pretty sight when you are done :) However, depending on your age, genetics, etc., even with exercise it may not be a pretty sight! My point is, we can't control our genetic code...we can control exercise which will make you look your BEST regardless of genetics. Like the Nike ad says....JUST DO IT!

I was fortunate enough to get banded prior to major health concerns setting in like diabetes (my mom is a Type II) and high blood pressure. I noticed that my blood pressure (which has always been on the low side) was creeping up. It never reached a level where medication was necessary, but I knew it was inching in that direction. Also, I have a low resting heart rate and that was also inching up. Now that I am doing regular cardio again...my last BP was 106/68 and my resting heart rate was 52 (I'm back!). Don't discount the positive effect that exercise has on your heart! You don't have to kill yourself...just walk a little faster for 20 minutes...get your heart beating a little faster. As you lose and become more fit...you might actually surprise yourself and want to do more :thumbup: Good luck!:smile:

Thanks everyone for getting back to me I got a lot of great information.

Boy you are going to make us fess up, eh? LOL I was banded in March 2009 and I have yet to formally work out....being a full time working mother to three young children I haven't found time to carve out for myself on a regular basis....BUT I am quite busy and on the go a lot, so I think that helps. (cleaning house, carrying laundry up the stairs daily, etc) I think working out would definately help with this fantabulous skin issue that some of us get....I am NOT liking my grandma wings at all!!! All said and done I really wish I did work out some/more....but my lifestyle hasn't permitted much...and my sleep is too precious to give it up. (everyone says "just get up twenty minutes earlier" - um...no, not when I already get up at 5am...oh well)