Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate going to the gym!!

I realized today that the biggest obstacle for me to getting exercise this winter is going to be going to the gym, which I hate.

Let me be clear, I don't hate the exercise, I hate the physical act of going to the gym. My nearest gym is in a heavily trafficked mall.

I hate the traffic, the crappy parking spots, having to walk through hoards of teenagers to get to the gym, waiting in line to give the guy at the desk my card, the locker room that smells like an armpit, finding an empty locker NOT right next to a naked man who always seems to take WAY too long to change clothes, and after the workout debating whether to walk through the hoards of teenagers again as I'm covered in sweat, or brave the bacteria frap that is the lock room showers.

Plus, any trip to the gym needs to be increased 45 minutes at least just to factor in all this crap.

Seriously, it's no wonder I rarely go there any more. I need to find a better solution before the weather gets bad. I'm committed to another 7 months in my membership, and quite frankly, there aren't any more convenient places than this.

ick.

I don't like the gym either. Well one when I lived in Clearwater as it was women only. Here in Orlando they don't have that so I went out and bought what I'd need treaddmill, exersise bike, and a great home gym all in one weight set. Bought two items used and one new about the same cost as a year and a hlf at 24 hour fitness.

I hate regular gyms also!! That's why I joined the rehab gym at the hospital. When your membership is up check out your local hospital to see if they have a rehab fitness center. It's cheaper than going to a regular gym and there is no commitments to make. The best thing about going to the hospital to workout is that most of the people are old or injured so I am usually moving the fastest HA!!!:smile:

The answer is simple - dont go!

I hate it too. Its too time consuming. I ditched the monthly fee and bought a treadmill for a similar monthly payment as DH and I used to spend on gym memberships we didnt use. I can be on and off the treadmill and have burned 600 calories in 40 minutes. That's time efficent.

That's only on crappy days (like today, its freaking freezing and HAILING in Melbourne today, lovely spring weather we're having). Most days I go outside and run, or I go to bootcamp, which I also love.

But anyway you cut it, I havent set foot in a gym in my whole 5 years banded and i'm fitter than almost anyone I know. And I have an hour or less per day to devote to exercise.

I know how you feel Groten. Personally I love the gym but hate the process of having to go. I wish I had a home gym but then I also like the environment of the gym. I feel encouraged and pumped when I see that there are other people around me working towards the same goals and that helps to further motivate me while I am there. But it''s just the treck.

i enjoy going to the gym but i do understand what you are saying. i have a personal trainer right now and he has showed me that i can actually get a better workout with hand weights and a swiss ball. i do like the machines but i actually feel like i get a better workout without them i sweat more and have that day after workout pain like im actually doing something. So what im saying go and get some hand weights and a swiss ball and work out at home.... dont stess yourself out with the gym the stress will only set you back. good luck

The answer is simple - dont go!

I hate it too. Its too time consuming. I ditched the monthly fee and bought a treadmill for a similar monthly payment as DH and I used to spend on gym memberships we didnt use. I can be on and off the treadmill and have burned 600 calories in 40 minutes. That's time efficent.

That's only on crappy days (like today, its freaking freezing and HAILING in Melbourne today, lovely spring weather we're having). Most days I go outside and run, or I go to bootcamp, which I also love.

But anyway you cut it, I havent set foot in a gym in my whole 5 years banded and i'm fitter than almost anyone I know. And I have an hour or less per day to devote to exercise.

I'm seriously considering a treadmill. I actually really like getting on a treadmill for 30-45 minutes, and just zoning out. The only issue is that I live in a fairly small apartment on the second floor, so noise could be an issue.

I realized today that the biggest obstacle for me to getting exercise this winter is going to be going to the gym, which I hate.

Let me be clear, I don't hate the exercise, I hate the physical act of going to the gym. My nearest gym is in a heavily trafficked mall.

I hate the traffic, the crappy parking spots, having to walk through hoards of teenagers to get to the gym, waiting in line to give the guy at the desk my card, the locker room that smells like an armpit, finding an empty locker NOT right next to a naked man who always seems to take WAY too long to change clothes, and after the workout debating whether to walk through the hoards of teenagers again as I'm covered in sweat, or brave the bacteria frap that is the lock room showers.

Plus, any trip to the gym needs to be increased 45 minutes at least just to factor in all this crap.

Seriously, it's no wonder I rarely go there any more. I need to find a better solution before the weather gets bad. I'm committed to another 7 months in my membership, and quite frankly, there aren't any more convenient places than this.

ick.

I can honestly say I felt the same way you do today, a year ago. A friend of mine said something to me that just clicked and got me thru the ruff times she said "do something 23 times and it becomes a habit" Really I sware by this now. I think its scientifically true. If I don't get to my gym at least two times a week I just don't feel right .Try it!

I'm seriously considering a treadmill. I actually really like getting on a treadmill for 30-45 minutes, and just zoning out. The only issue is that I live in a fairly small apartment on the second floor, so noise could be an issue.

I just bought one off walmart's website with site to store shipping for free. I figured I'd buy a cheaper one (this one was $300) and see if I can get in the groove of it. It's better than committing to a year of gym membership, which around here can be close to about 50 bones a month.

The bummer for you is that you're on the second floor, that really stinks. You can try to order one, set it up and ask your downstairs neighbors if they can hear it going, and if they can, can they tolerate it for 45mins a day, and if so when would be good times for them. If it doesn't work out, save the packing material and take it back to the store. That's why I got the one I did from there, they'll take it back if it doesn't work out.

Good luck!

Not to be downer but treadmills are heavy. My sister in law (all 5' 90 pounds of her) is a marathoner. She had a treadmill in the basement that took 4 MEN to move when they left that house. Sooo if he don't have a lot of help, returning a treadmill that's on the second floor could be a major hassle.

Do you have a bicycle? My husband bought us a trainer and we take turns hooking our bikes up to it. Gives us a nice work out and come spring, we'll be ready to ride. Plus the trainer isn't that heavy. I was able to carry the box it came in upstairs.

You should also consider work-out DVD's. At least for the winter months you can work out when you want in your own home. There are some good ones out there.