Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting banded in a week and trying not to freak out. Hi I'm Rose

I am scheduled to be banded on Oct. 5 by Dr. Kelly Francis in Fountain Valley, CA. I am pretty freaked out even though I've had several months to prepare for this. I have a tendency to "overthink" things so I am probably my own worst enemy. So I hope I will be able to learn a lot from you all and maybe someday I will be able to help others too.

Thanks for being here- Rose

Thank you for replying to me! I am still trying to figure out how to set up my profile and it was neat to have a message already. Rose

Hi Rose,

I completely understand your nervousness. My surgery is tomorrow and I'm a nervous nelly. :biggrin:

We just need to listen to our doctors as PinkTweety said, and I believe we'll be fine.

Good luck on the 5th!

Good luck tomorrow!! I know everything will go well. Rose

Hi Rose,

Over thinking things is something I can relate to, especially when it comes to surgery. I'm terrified of breathing tubes, needles, but tend not to worry about what's going to happen after it's over.

I find it really helpful to come here and share my thoughts, or read those of others. It seemed that I wasn't the only one thinking about the what ifs, and am I sure.

I hope you will find as much support, information and encouragement as I have.

Good luck!

Debbie

Thank you for your response! I appreciate hearing from others that have been through it. Rose

hey rose! Good luck with your surgery next week. I just started and i have my first consultation with the general surgeon tomorrow. I am so scared and excited too. How long ago did you start with all the steps? I am hoping to get it as soon as i can.

write back when you can and let me know how and when u started.

Hi rose and all,

I was banded 8-17-10 and I did very well, I have healed up well and have lost 21 lbs so far. I had my first fill 9-24 and I was so nervous about that and really nervous about the banding. But it all went well and the pain level was not bad at all. I only needed toradol post op and had no opiates, I liked that because I get so nauseated historically.

I was one of those who went to Mexico, because I could not afford it otherwise and I have no complaints at all. I am 56 and my BMI was 44 to start. I am so thrilled I did it but I can plainly see it is a tool and I must use it and do my part,so get ready because it is not a miracle but what a help not to be so hungry and to be able to eat such petite amounts and be satisfied for hours, I love that...:smile2:

I am scheduled to be banded on Oct. 5 by Dr. Kelly Francis in Fountain Valley, CA. I am pretty freaked out even though I've had several months to prepare for this. I have a tendency to "overthink" things so I am probably my own worst enemy. So I hope I will be able to learn a lot from you all and maybe someday I will be able to help others too.

Hi Rose! I'm getting banded 10/8 by Dr. Francis, but I'm in the opposite boat I think... I keep trying to feel something about this at all... I am just relaxed and "chill" about the whole thing, I think because I researched to long and completely and because I'm ready. The only thing I'm not feeling is the IV. Im always freaked out by the IV.

Rose, I am getting banded on Oct 7th. I am so excited and a bit nervous too so I understand where you are coming from. Hope to see your progress on here, good luck

Amber

Let me start my saying that everyone is different. That said I am 20 hours out from surgery and I feel really, really, good. I am a big baby when it's comes to pain. For me the IV and nausea just after surgery were my biggest fears.

I really impressed this to my doctor and she said she would use all the meds she day to prevent nausea. To my great delight I did not have any nausea at all. I feel real sore but could not really call it pain. To be honest I felt worse after a personnal trainer worked me over for 30 minutes a couple yers ago. I could not move without pain and was eating meds like they were candy. So far with the band I have not had any pain meds since a small dose in the IV just as I was comming to. In hine sight I really did not even need it. I was just afraid that if I did not have it the pain would get to bad. It just has not for me. (Knock on wood) As far as the IV the RN was really good and I hardly felt it. I understand they can put numbing cream on first if you want.

Looking back all my worring was for nothing. It's like paying interest on a bill before you make it. How smart is that? Hopefully NOW I have learned this lesson.

Michele

Im scheduled for Oct 4th. Im at the point that Im just ready to get it over with! Good luck!

Im scheduled for Oct 4th. Im at the point that Im just ready to get it over with! Good luck!

I am schedule for October 8th...very exciting!

Hi Rose!

I just found out today that my surgery date is October 8th! Very excited but nervous all the same. I look forward to getting to know you and look forward to reading about your success!

Jill

hey rose! Good luck with your surgery next week. I just started and i have my first consultation with the general surgeon tomorrow. I am so scared and excited too. How long ago did you start with all the steps? I am hoping to get it as soon as i can.

write back when you can and let me know how and when u started.

Donna,

I decided I wanted to get the LAP-BAND® procedure in January and met with my regular doctor. She referred me to Dr. Francis and my first meeting at her office was in March or April. Nutrition class, support group, psych eval, lots of paperwork, doctor talk, one on one with surgeon, cardiac stress test/EKG, and various other meetings later I'm good to go. Insurance approved me right away thank goodness so that's covered. I know this is right for me but it has been a really difficult process emotionally. B)