Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post-op Forearm Pain

Hey guys! I understand the gas pain and where it comes from as I can feel it pass and then the pain/pressure is gone. But I a m having extreme forearm pain in both arms. Is this gas pain or just stress pain? Normal? Thanks!:lol:

It is most likely referred pain from some part of your band rubbing on your diaphragm. I had this pain in my left forearm from the day after surgery until about 2 months ago. It most likely quit because I'd lost enough weight that the band was able to sag a bit. A lot of people have this pain and it does go away as we lose weight.

If you pay attention to it, you'll notice the pain is less or goes away completely depending on the position in you're in. When I was standing, no pain. Almost always had it when I was lying down, but if I pulled my left arm above my head and slightly twisted my torso, it would go away. Sitting in a car, it would ache horribly. You're never sitting as straight up in a car as you would in a chair at a table and I think that slight recline was just enough to cause the pain. Actually, I still get that occasionally.

I am not trying to scare anyone but coincidentally, 1 year ago to this very day I had horrible forearm pain. It felt like I was holding my arms over a fire. It turned out that I had 2 blocked coronary arteries and was having a heart attack.

Call your surgeon or a doctor and get their opinion. I don't know how abdomen surgery could possibly cause pain in the forearms.

Keep us informed.

I had similar pain about 3 or 4 days post op and when I told the surgeon about it he said it was most likely from the anesthesia.

One of the meds that they give you during surgery paralyzes the muscles in your body. In doing that your body can hoard lactic acid... similar to post exercise pain. It does go away, at least for me it did but it took a good week and a half or so.

Best of luck to you and congratulations on your banding! Always though, ask the doc if in doubt!

Hi! My post-op nurse told me that during surgery, they give you muscle relaxers, when those wear off it causes extreme pain...sometimes. It didn't happen with me, but I expected to feel like I had been hit by a bus the next day. She told me that feeling could last up to 5 days. It would feel like I was having extreme cramping, and that it may not happen all over. This may be what is going on, but I would still call in, just in case. Good luck to you.

Call your surgeon or a doctor and get their opinion. I don't know how abdomen surgery could possibly cause pain in the forearms.

Keep us informed.

Has to do with the referred pain and it is documented on several medical sites. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to go looking for them again. Which is not to say they shouldn't rule out a heart problem, but all you have to do is read through these boards to see there are quite a number of us who did/do have the referred pain. As I lost weight, it lessened but then I'd get a fill and I'd have it again. When I went down to 6cc's, it went away completely until they put 1cc back. I've since lost 5cc's and it only bothers me when I'm sitting in the front passenger seat of the car. Most likely because I'm forced into a position that pulls the band a bit more taught.

Which doesn't mean that someone shouldn't make sure to rule out a heart condition.

Thanks for all of the advice guys, both arms are still sore but not so bad, it's the muscle on the back of the forearm (where your arm hair grows). My upper arms or shoulders do not really hurt so it seems like it could be anesthesia related. I also have fybromyalgia which hasn't flared up in a few years, it could be the trauma from surgery. If they start hurting bad again I will take your advice and contact my surgeon right away!