Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So in one month, I am going to Japan. Right now I have 4ccs in my band. I was told by the nurse practitioner before I even got my band that I shouldn't eat anything while flying because the band can get tight. She also said if going somewhere without any lap band facilities, they would completely unfill me.

Would you get unfilled? I have looked online and I can not find any doctors in Okinawa that do lap band, so if something were to go wrong while I am over there I might be in trouble.

My other question is, the flight is 14 hours, and I have read on here not to eat 1 hour before or after the flight, which would make a total of 16 hours with no food. Is there any way I can take Protein Shakes with me? Can I get a prescription for them? I can not go 16 hours on only Water, I will be miserable and I am trying to make this as easy on myself as possible. Also if I do get unfilled, would I still need to follow this restriction?

Lastly, can I get a prescription for my liquid tylenol? I did read that you can take non prescription liquid meds through security, but only up to 4 ounces. The tylenol bottles only come in 8 ounces, and I don't want to risk going on a plane for that long with no pain meds.

I really hate this no liquid restriction, it is turning into a huge pain in the butt for me. Before it was annoying, but now it's bordering on dangerous. :biggrin:

Hmmm....that is interesting as I have flown more than once since getting my band (only a few hours each time) and had no problems...even drank and ate the Snacks they gave out. Maybe on a longer one it could be a problem? I would love to hear others experiences with that!

Are you not able to take regular tylenol? I don't take any meds in liquid...never have other than the pain meds right after surgery and that was only a few days for me. I hate liquid meds.

I can see where the liquid restrictions might make things tricky.....I wonder if a doctor's note might work? I have heard they will let you take bottles of Water and powdered formula for babies -- so surely you could take shakes?

Hope you get some answers - and have a great trip!

I asked my doc about flying. He said that I wouldn't have to get unfilled to fly. They pressurize the cabin and there shouldn't be a problem with the band.

I am sure that there are Lap-band docs over in Japan, but if you don't use their alphabet and their language when searching, and unless their websites are in English, then you won't find them.

How long are you going for?

I have flown through Japan on my way to Korea, so I know it is a long flight. Bring a plastic spoon and fork with you! Eating Ramen noodle Soup with chopsticks is hard to do! Another time when flying over there I got some kind of seafood salad sandwich and another time I got American food, so what you get is a guessing game.

Do whatever you are comfortable doing with the advice of your doc!

Flying and eating shouldnt be a problem. I live in Korea and fly often sometimes long flights sometimes short flights.

When I had 10cc in my 11cc band I had no problem eating on the plane. I ate chicken, fruit and nuts without getting stuck. However I did eat smaller portions and chew more then usual just to make sure.

Some people can be tigher then usual when flying but I have been ok so far.

You might feel a little sore around your band area if you have really good restriction. The morning after my longest flight my stomach just felt like I had a good ab work out the day before but never had any problems eating.

Also countries in Asia do have Lap Band doctors and they are usually more than willing to help any international patients if you have any problems ie stuck too much and need an unfill.

I have never had an unfill before flying either.

Hope this helps and have fun in Japan :lol:

I once took a packet of potato crisps on a flight from Hong Kong to Australia. The packet swelled so much due to the cabin pressure that i was sure it was going to explode, i think this is the concern with the band, that it will swell, not explode though. As for the Tylenol i think the airlines are strict on the amount of liquids you can take. Maybe you can put some into a smaller container to see you through the flight. Have a great trip.

Well I wasn't thinking about getting unfilled because of flying, I was thinking about it because if I were to get too tight while in Japan I do not know if there are doctors there who can treat me. As for there being doctors in Japan, I am sure there are some in Tokyo, but I am going to Okinawa and I do not know if there would be a doctor there.

As for taking liquid meds, I was told that for the rest of my life, any medicine I take needs to be liquid, chewable, crushable, or smaller than a tic tac. All pill forms of tylenol say do not crush or chew on them.

As for taking liquid meds, I was told that for the rest of my life, any medicine I take needs to be liquid, chewable, crushable, or smaller than a tic tac. All pill forms of tylenol say do not crush or chew on them.

I never know why some doctors tell their patients this. I take several large pills and supplements daily and I've never had a probably with a pill. I asked my doc about this pre-op and he said, "There's no problem taking pills. In fact, I'll send you home from with hospital with some." He did and I was fine.

Cindy

I have experienced your dilemma

I fly about a week a month and I usually do fine but I did have one bout of tightness on the plane. We are all inidividuals, I often get tighter 3 weeks after a fill then initially so I just eat how my band is, tighter in the am.

I can swallow pills except Calcium tablets

What seems to help me is when I fly I break cardinal rule #1 and drink with my meals to keep things flowing and I typically drink something warm to wake up my band that I want to eat. I also try to remember to chew, chew and avoid dry meat (my downfall).

I do take a few powder mixes with me on trips and a Protein bar or two for the travelling days especially when the airlines is only offering Pasta.

The sashimi and noodles in Japan go down easy.

Enjoy and take things as they come.

I hate liquid meds... I'm a big baby with that stuff...

I have no problem taking pills at this point, but after surgery when I didn't want to gag or vomit from cherry liquid tylenol I took the chewable jr. tylenol... had to take 6 of them to be close to 1000 mg but it worked well for me and would be good for a flight as it's not liquid! The jr. tylenol not children's... they're 160 mg for each tablet. Have a good trip!

Hi Kristy,

You may have already been to Japan and returned, but I just wanted to let you and anyone else who may be flying to Japan know about Dr. Kazama and Dr. Seki from the Yotsuya Medical Cube which is a small private hospital located in Tokyo. You can Google the hospital and get the telephone number. Ask for the doctors and they will make sure that you get an appointment. Will you be visiting or will you be living in Japan? Chances are if you are visiting you will not have any problems during your visit. I was on mushies when I flew to Japan 2 weeks after my surgery. The Airlines allowed me to bring small bottles of baby food (meat) due to my dietary restrictions. Actually, they were quite accommodating. Hopefully, you had a great time in Japan!!

Leona