Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to fill ot not to fill...........

I am scheduled for my first fill on Monday. I will be 6 weeks out and do not have anything in my band yet. Since a friend of mine had her band slip due to vomiting, I'm terrified of throwing up and have been thinking about not having a fill yet. I am losing 2-3 lbs a week and have been satisfied with what I can eat.

I am wondering if there is anyone else who also waited to have a fill. Any advice would be appreciated!

I was like you - but I had a fill. The thing I realized is that you are losing weight right now by yourself. You are not enjoying the full benefit of the band. You are probably excited and optimistic, like I was/am, but then it hits you.

My first fill was 4ccs - my surgeon told me that 4ccs just expands the "balloon" to the rim of the band. I really had no major issues after that first fill and continued losing weight well. But when that day came, and it did, that I got sick of working so hard, the band reminded me to stay on track. Now I have 5ccs and have been doing well. A band with no fill is NOTHING like a band with fill. Going back tomorrow to hopefully get some more!

I recommend at least getting something in your band.

One other thing, I have never puked. I don't think that is extremely normal.

I am also amazed that at 6 weeks, you are just now scheduled for your first fill! I am at 8 weeks and have had 2 - tomorrow is 3.

I have my first fill coming soon on 9/30//10. I feel the same way, its been 36 days and ive lost 31 lbs, i eat still, very little, very very little. I have lost a good amount and have still been losing. Im thinking the same about waiting on the fill. I know some people go a long time before getting filled. Anyone out there waited.

Thanks for the response, anyone else out there.

I didn't get a fill for the first 3 months. I had restriction from the beginning and I was losing steadily. My doctor is of the opinion that you don't need a fill if you aren't hungry and you're losing weight. He even has one patient who's never been filled at all. By the end of month 3, I was hungry and eating more so I got a small fill (.5 cc).

I say, if you aren't hungry and you're losing, why fill? You can always get a fill when you need one.

Cindy

I think you have to separate a couple of things in your mind in order to make the right decision.

Are you reluctant to get a fill because you're terrified of vomiting?

Or are you reluctant to get a fill because the amount of food you are able to eat keeps you satisfied for a few hours, until it's time to eat again?

The decision to band is based not only on rate of loss, but also on satiety level.

If you're genuinely satisfied, there's no need for a fill.

But if you're telling yourself you're satisfied because you are afraid you'll vomit after being filled, you probably can put that fear to rest. Eating slowly, chewing well, stopping when satisfied, etc. will lower the likelihood of vomiting.

Plus, it must be said that post-band vomiting is nothing like pre-band vomiting. It's just very, very different. The sensation that precedes it is more uncomfortable (real pressure), but the nature of the emesis is completely different (no bile, no gastric juices, just regurgitated food and mucus), and the RELIEF is instantaneous.

So, while getting stuck is something you do want to avoid if possible (as is taking that one bite too many), it's not something that results in something so terrible that you should avoid getting a fill if your satiety level is unsatisfactory.

Thanks to all of you for the advice! I truly believe we are all very different and have different experiences so I listen to each opinion. I'm happy to hear others are also content without a fill.

I am extremely satisfied with what I am able to eat. I eat 3 small meals a day.............about a cup....but I can eat just about anything. I havent tried thick breads and do not miss it. I do not snack between meals. I do drink one Protein shot daily.

The fear of vomiting combined with the fear of not being able to eat is what has me scared. I have 2 very close friends who both vomit on a weekly basis. I would rather take the weight loss a lil more slowly than go through what I've seen them go through.

I started this journey with a low BMI and do not have as much to lose as the average bandster. My Dr will only put up to 1cc at a time. I have a 10cc band so I'm thinking I may get this 1st fill and not get another one until I hit a plateau. I cant imagine that 1cc will be that much of a difference.

Best Wishes to ALL!

One other thing, I have never puked. I don't think that is extremely normal.

I am also amazed that at 6 weeks, you are just now scheduled for your first fill! I am at 8 weeks and have had 2 - tomorrow is 3.

Office Mate -

I had my 1st fill at 6 weeks out. My next fill is at 9 weeks. I have 3cc in a 10cc band.

I went for my first fill one month post op and my doctor and i decided to wait another month. I was losing about 3 pounds a week on average and feeling satisfied in between meals with smaller portions. I told him i'd like to keep going with the empty band and in one month revisit the need for a fill.

I too was a slow but steady loser. My Dr. and I decided as long as I was losing to not have a fill, he left the decision up to me. I kept saying when and if I am eating too much or need help controlling my appetite, I will get a fill but never needed it. I am at goal with losing 90 pd and no fills. Everybody is so different and you each need to make your own decision to get to goal. I do love that picture of the Schnauzer, we have two boys of our own. Good luck and do what you feel is right for you.

Tell you doc about your satiety level, they can see how much you have lost, and then you can both decide if a fill is right for you.

Every fill can be a new learning experience on how to eat. Some fills aren't necessarily felt at all. I felt mine on the first one. The nurse tried to put in 2 1/2 cc's and then had to take 1/2 cc out since I couldn't swallow Water.

If you are satisfied with your progress and the amount of food and weight loss you're experiencing, then you may not want or need a fill at this point. Sometimes I think it's best to let the darn thing heal well enough in place before messing with it. You don't need to be in a race to the finish line. The main point is to take care of your band, and keep your weight loss on track with an adequate amount of healthy eating and exercising regularly. Congrats to everything is working well for you!