Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

one week out, really struggling with clears only:(

it is absolute torture to have to cook for my family and then have a cup of broth. I go in phases. The first few days pre-op were awful...and then I was used to it by surgery day.

The first few days post-op were ok... but now....I can barely stand only having clears and I'm actually depressed about it.

I've always been a coffee drinker and hadn't had any coffee post-op because I don't like it black. I've had serious withdrawl from my coffee. Finally had to break down and have a cup today and splash some vanilla Optifast in it.

Anyone else struggle with this?

I was able to have coffee with splenda and coffee Mate after surgery. As for cooking I quit cooking and gave that job to my dh for a while. He totally understood.

he is really good about cooking when he's home...but I've got three kids, two of which are home with me all day (I work nights) and he doesn't usually get home until around 9pm on during the week. That leaves lunches and dinners to me :rolleyes2:

I'm on strictly clears for two weeks post op. Has to be see-thru. No coffeemate :thumbdown: Not until next week....

It is tough at the beggining! Just know it does get better. Restriction will come and you will love your band.

It is tough at the beggining! Just know it does get better. Restriction will come and you will love your band.

Thanks.... yeah, one thing I've really noticed this week is my stomach is CONSTANTLY growling. It's embarrassing but kinda funny. I was trying to give report to the oncoming nurse and she told me she was having trouble hearing over my stomach hahaha

Im allowed to have Protein Shakes and Im 6 days post op. Im starving right now!. First few days had to make myself eat, now im looking for next drink. I did cheat today and have a small mcdonalds strawberry banana smoothy over the course of 30 minutes. I paid for it though with gas and then I was scared that I would push my band too fast. No more for me! I cant wait for next week and I geet mushies

Hang in there. My biggest problem was craving food (I didn't act on it), but I was totally satisfied with the liquid diet.< /p>

it is absolute torture to have to cook for my family and then have a cup of broth. I go in phases. The first few days pre-op were awful...and then I was used to it by surgery day.

The first few days post-op were ok... but now....I can barely stand only having clears and I'm actually depressed about it.

I've always been a coffee drinker and hadn't had any coffee post-op because I don't like it black. I've had serious withdrawl from my coffee. Finally had to break down and have a cup today and splash some vanilla Optifast in it.

Dear nursecutie,

I know exactly what your going through. I'm starting my 6th week post op right now. So let me tell you, I'm in law enforcement and I would have a latte every morning before my shift. My doc told me no coffee for a month after :smile2:. You said you felt depressed after the surgery dealing with the coffee withdrawls, cooking for the family while you chug down a cup of broth, I did too. I was crying at day 3 post op . feeling depressed, hungry, mad, regretting I ever did this. I was already talking to my doc about getting this crap out of me.....

But now, Im finally able to eat real food, a lot less, but my mind, body and heart are satisfied. It WILL get easier. Stay focused on the goal, focus, focus, focus. I dont know if this helped but I hope it did. ....

It's very difficult, especially at the beginning, when you're genuinely hungry and others are eating "real food" that you have to prepare!

It gets so much better. I know that doesn't make it better now--and you need relief. But it really, truly gets better.

If you are really having a difficult time, I'd call your doctor or nurse coordinator and discuss it with him/her. I was very compliant, and losing well---but really having a hard time with genuine hunger (which not everyone does experience soon out of the starting gate). I emailed my doctor's coordinator and described what I was experiencing (amounts I was taking in, amount of time that elapsed before starvation set in, etc.) For me, the result was an appointment for a MUCH earlier fill. For you, it might be permission to advance diet to the next stage. (I didn't need that permission, because my doctor starts pureed Proteins on Day Three.)

Worth a try.

No matter what the outcome, hang in there---it is SO worth it. Even when the outlook is bleak and your stomach is roaring.

I'm in my second week too and also struggling with the same things..... grrrr. The thing that helps me (sort of) is to remember that I (we) have internal injuries that are trying to heal. Hang in there... not long now and we can have the mushies and then after that NORMAL food. I'm trying to keep busy to distract myself but overate on jelly (Jello?) today. I live in South Africa so our english may differ in meaning sometimes : 0 )

I struggled so bad my first week and if I never eat broth another day in my life that will be fine. I was so excited to have my protien shake this morning, but I took 2 shallows and I was full....WOW!! But the thickness and difference of the shake is helping me a little, but now I have to do this for a week !!! WE CAN DO IT!! WE CAN DO IT!! I am so glad I am not the only one suffering with this! Has anyone had cravings- kind of like being pregnant? I want pizza so bad- and I made it last night for my family and was so proud of my STRENGTH to refuse it!!

Thank you so much everyone... THIS is the support I needed...people going through the same thing and surviving it and being able to look back and say "I did it....so can you"

My surgeon has a very strict diet plan...more strict than any I've been reading about, and WAY more strict than even LapBand recommends. He says it is because they see more success when you do it his way.

I go in phases....some days I'm ok with the liquids, some days I'm crying while making food for the fam. What I have found...and this may be the most retarded thing ever, is that when I'm completely overwhelmed with a need for tasting something....I lick it. Or, I take a bite, chew it to get the taste and spit it out. Is that not the most pathetic thing you've ever heard?

My family got pizza the other day.... it was more than I could bear because it was one of my down days. I finally just took a bite, chewed it, and spit the bite out..... and you know what? I was satisfied. Was it a waste of a bite of pizza? lol yes... was it pathetic? yes...my husband looked at me like I was crazy. BUT...it was what I needed to be satisfied with my cup of broth.

Be careful about the chewing and spitting. I understand the impulse, truly--but it is disordered eating, and can be a slippery slope.

My doctor's eating regimen is really stringent, too. I was permitted solids sooner than many, but overall, his recommendations are very different from most I read about here. And overall, I've been very, very happy with the results. I make minor modifications (which he is fine with; I am losing very well)---but have found that when a good doctor has a plan he sees good success with, it's well worth sticking with it quite closely.

Still, if you're miserable, it's worth calling the office to see if you can advance to the next stage; it's healthier than developing skewed habits such as chewing and spitting.

I am not banded yet, but just wanted to share a thought because I have twin 5 year olds who will need dinner before dad gets home. Plus he works a lot of hours and I wouldn't want him to come in and have to cook everyday too.

But I was thinking that the smell and standing over the food would kill me. Even if I wasn't hungry I would be by the time I was done cooking. So what about lunch meat, wraps, tuna, and quick easy to prepare foods that you don't have to stand over especially on the days you are struggling.

I would avoid crockpot meals because of the all day smells tempting you and any other foods that have strong smells while cooking that linger.

Good Luck to you on your new journey!!

Terri