Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated to tears

So I was scheduled to have surgery on Thursday.. yes, in 2 days.. and the nurse was supposed to call me today to let me know what time the surgery was at. I leave work at noon and as I'm leaving the parking lot, my phone rings with the hospital's number. I got so excited... just to hear the words, "Unfortunately I'm calling with some bad news."

They rescheduled my surgery for October 5th because they didn't order the anesthesia that's used specifically for Lap Band in time. So now the effort I put into the liquid diet (where they wouldn't allow me to have anything besides shakes twice a day and Soup once.. and wouldn't budge) plus everything else has gone down the drain. I was supposed to get the surgery and be back at work in time to go into mandatory training that lasts until the end of October, but now I can't do that. I work for a large company and rescheduling my FMLA is going to be hard enough, but to do it during training? I'm going to be so behind at work.. I just don't know what I'm going to do.

I feel like somebody just kicked me while I'm down. Do I even want these people operating on me? Ugh. I'm feeling such a range of emotions right now.. I've been in a horrible mood all day. I haven't talked to anyone or anything.

Hi-

So sorry to hear of your disappointing news. I am a bit puzzled, as I have never heard that there is any "special" anesthesia just for lap band. Has anyone else heard of this? I was anesthetized for my procedure in the same way as for almost all other surgeries. Did they explain what is different about this?

Do you still feel comfortable with the surgeon/facility that you have chosen? If not, perhaps you still have time to find other options?

Again, so sorry for the set-back. It must be very frustrating for you. Please keep your chin up and don't let someone else's mistake get you down. Perhaps there is something good to be learned from this? Maybe you can take the opportunity to get a "second opinion" if you aren't convinced that this is the right surgeon/clinic/program for you. I know how much you must want to be banded (it would have been very difficult to talk me out of it so close to surgery), but make sure you are comfortable with everything and have had all your questions satisfactorily answered before you take the plunge. If you don't like the answers you are getting from your current surgeon's office, don't hesitate to shop around for a better match.

In the meantime, try to focus on the positive, no matter how difficult that may be. I'm sure everything will turn out for the better soon.

--Nora--

Sorry but something does'nt smell right to me. I think you got bumped for a reason they don't want to tell/explain. You might want to look into another doctor if already have to wait.

Yea, something sound fishy to me too! But, at the same time I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, so try to see the positive side of it!

Hi there Kissalvoe -

I am so very sorry that this happened to you! I was actually at the support group meeting at Lovelace on Monday night when Paula got word from the hospital administration that the surgeries were going to have to be postponed. She said that it was a nation wide shortage of a specific anesthesia drug that is required for some surgeries. The hospital was running low so they are asking all departments to postpone elective surgeries so their minimal supply could be saved for emergency surgeries. All of us in the support group meeting just groaned when we heard this.......We all can sympathize with how disappointing it would be to be told days before your surgery that it would have to be postponed! Especially if you are already 1.5 weeks into the pre-op diet! Whoo....I know, that diet is absolutely no picnic!

Please don't be too discouraged.....being banded is one of the best things that I have done for myself. You take care and I hope that you can get your work training situated and the banding goes as planned on October 5th.

Good luck to you and best wishes!

That really sucks!

Now I'm curious about my surgery on 10/5...

I'm in HR and I know I'm also trying to get all my training objectives done before I go and get back to work before we enter the "open enrollment" benefits season in November. I question my sanity with doing this now - my busiest time of year...

I am so sorry to hear of your delay Kissalvoe......Have you spoken to your physician to see what their explanation is?

Take two breaths and call your surgeon's office and find out why exactly.

I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you kissalvoe! I work in healthcare and it always saddens me that healthcare providers are so quick to cancel this or change that, not even thinking about how it affects the patient! It wasnt them on the liquid diet or with the anxiety of worrying about your job! I hope everything ends up working out in the end!

Sorry to hear about this setback. I am a firm believer in that which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger. Call the Dr's office and find out what really is going on. If you're okay with the explanation, carry on with the new surgery date. If you're still uncomfortable, move on to another. But don't cut your nose off to spite your face. Changing to another surgeon wil most likely cause you an even longer setback.

Good Luck to you! And hey, being on that pre-op diet longer just means you'll have a pristine liver and hopefully gotten a jump start on your weight loss. :wub:

I want to thank everyone for their replies and support. I appreciate it more than you know.

Now it makes more sense. The nurse is still saying they didn't order the anesthesia in time and then there were shipping problems, but I'm hearing more about the 'drought'. Bottom line.. I can't really change it. I can only roll with the punches and do what I have to do. My biggest concern wasn't just getting the surgery, but the date in which is now falls. I'm incredibly lucky to have such an understanding and supportive boss, backed by a compassionate company.

So given nothing else goes wrong, I will be banded on 10/5, and I can't wait! It's weird eating normal again after 2 weeks.. now I'm never really hungry and I eat considerably less. I just can't wait to get this done with.

But again, thank you all for your replies and support. I guess I have a tendency of overreacting and worrying.. the stress of being a full-time worker, college student, and the emotions that come with the LapBand process really got to me for a bit. I'm trying me best to just relax and go with it now.