Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have seen an old post (couple yrs old) on here about this so asking if any new news. I was banded 9/2/1010. about five or six days after, I developed a rash around the incisions. about two days later this had spread to my entire stomach area. I have tried benadryl capsules, benadryl gel, hydrocortizone cream and calmine gel, I can only get relief for about five minutes then I resemble a dig with fleas sitting and scratching my stomach. I have called my dr and I am "patiently" awaiting a return call. Any one else experience anything like this and what did you find that helped? I have a follow up appointment Friday but wish I could get some relief sooner!

Well I got a pretty bad rash from the Dermabond. Did they use that on your incisions? If so that may be the problem and it needs to be removed.

could also be a reaction from the bedadine solution.. or whatever they swabbed on you prior to surgery.

I got a bad rash from the tape that I think they used to keep my breasts out of the way. About a week out from surgery I got another rash that was not near the incisions in the lower abdomen area. The fact that they are near your incisions would worry me. If the surgeon does not call you back asap go see your GP.

Hi, call and/or go sit in your doc's office until he sees you, or go to a local clinic or your own doc. You may be allergic to the glue/steristrip or whatever is used on the incisions - or it may be more than that. Please take care of this...post-surgery is bad enuf with the pain and liquids only and hunger and etc without sitting around itching - your doc needs to pay attention to this.

DO NOT SCRATCH! I developed a rash that first showed up around my incisions. I continued to scratch, and it then spread until it covered most of my stomach. I immediately contacted my surgeon (and sent him a picture via e-mail), and he immediately put me on a liquid antibiotic for it. It turned out that it was a strain of staph. With the medication, it started to heal and scab within 24 hours. If it is staph, then it is super contagious and you don't need to be itching it and then touching other people or other areas of your body where it can spread to. It could very well simply be an allergic reaction, but if none of the medications that you took are working, then I think that it may be a bit more serious. Don't worry, it will go away, though! You just need to get on the right antibiotic.

nurse did call back finally. Dr. thinks its a reaction to the betadyne. He is hesitant to phone in a Rx for anything stronger than the OTC Benadryl gel, hydrocortisone, calimine, Benadryl capsules I am currently taking. I see him Friday morning. She said that he was reluctant b/c the next class up of drugs would be steroids (medrol pack) and its too close to surgery to be on that. She said if I just couldn't stand it he would but would rather wait. I told her the reason I called after 5 days of this was b/c I was fairly miserable with not be able to sleep b/c of it, but I don't want to risk an infection from the steroids lowering my immune system (not to mention steroids blow me up) So for now I am going back & forth between the OTC meds and trying not to scratch anxiously waiting for Friday's appointment and dreading it at the same time as its probably my first fill and that makes me nervous b/c without any Fluid in the band I have restriction. Someone had suggested seeing my PCP however I know him well enough that he wouldn't RX anything without the surgeons approval & he has already said what he wants to do.