Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Frustrated...need support

Ok, so I was banded on July 30th, had my first fill on Tuesday (2 days ago). I am really bummed because its been a struggle for me for the past few weeks to eat smaller portions and eat healthy and start walking but I just kept thinking the fill was only a few weeks away and that I will have to have at least some more restriction but NO, got my fill and dont feel any different at least as of day two, Im so frustrated. I know that it doesnt happen for alot of people after their 1st fill but I was just really hoping it would. I feel like I paid 15grand to just be on yet another strict diet. I cannot believe that I got 3'cc's and can still eat more than a cup of food without any issues. i had steak and veggies for lunch today with no problems and even though I couldnt finish my meal..an hour later Im hungry again! Iv lost 25lbs so far but havnt lost any in 2 weeks. I have to wait another 6 weeks now for my next fill..at this rate it will take me forever to lose weight. Sorry, but Im just frustrated today and tired of being hungry. I thought I got myself out of this attitude last night but it creeped back in again and looking for my fellow bandsters to help me see the light at the end of the tunnel...how did you all continue to lose weight when the fills didnt yet work for you???

Not to bum you, but you are in Bandster Hell. During which time I gained 12 pounds or more! Do the best you can eating properly and exercising until you achieve restriction. My practice used to be as strict as yours but now give more the 1st time and add to it more often than 6 wks because of so may unhappy patients who were gaining wt. Can you call your doc and beg to come in for another fill at 3 wks? I feel your pain and understand your frustration.

Good luck,

Mimi

Ok, so I was banded on July 30th, had my first fill on Tuesday (2 days ago). I am really bummed because its been a struggle for me for the past few weeks to eat smaller portions and eat healthy and start walking but I just kept thinking the fill was only a few weeks away and that I will have to have at least some more restriction but NO, got my fill and dont feel any different at least as of day two, Im so frustrated. I know that it doesnt happen for alot of people after their 1st fill but I was just really hoping it would. I feel like I paid 15grand to just be on yet another strict diet. I cannot believe that I got 3'cc's and can still eat more than a cup of food without any issues. i had steak and veggies for lunch today with no problems and even though I couldnt finish my meal..an hour later Im hungry again! Iv lost 25lbs so far but havnt lost any in 2 weeks. I have to wait another 6 weeks now for my next fill..at this rate it will take me forever to lose weight. Sorry, but Im just frustrated today and tired of being hungry. I thought I got myself out of this attitude last night but it creeped back in again and looking for my fellow bandsters to help me see the light at the end of the tunnel...how did you all continue to lose weight when the fills didnt yet work for you???

Well have to tell you that I can eat my dinner - be physically full - but still want to eat - is your urge to eat a physical one or a mental one -

In the beginning I just to sit and contenplate if I was full or not - yes - my stomach was full - but my body still craved food which we precieve as hunger most of the time -

I'm at work - I had lunch - I am full - but I want something to snack on - urge for salty - nuts sound good - but I am not physically hungry.. It's the stress of the job - I want to eat to get the seratonin rushing thru my veins - food is our drug of choice and we crave it even when we are full..

How did I lose weight - even when restriction wasn't perfect - eat healthy (not dieting) and exercise - and kept my calories between 800 & 1200 and varied them daily - exercised 4-5 x a week -

Also - it can take 2 weeks for a fill to fully kick in.. Don't ask me why - can't explain it

I wish all the pre surgical education would cover this. It is so frustrating. At least you would know. The worst part of bandster hell is the not understanding that this happens.

I had to be sure I hadn't posted that myself! I just got my 2cc fill 4 hours ago. My stomach is rumbling and turning... not sure if it's hunger, left-over nerves from the first fill, or because of the fill. Anyway.... I weigh the same today as I did when I had my stitches removed 3 weeks ago.... but my pants are tighter. Yes... feeling like 15K is down the drain and I have another 3 weeks if this doesn't work. Staying positive.... you do the same! *It's nice to have some of the bandsters that are several months or years into the journey comment. Encouraging.

:smile2:I just saw my surgeon on Tuesday of this week and he wouldn't give me a fill (would've been my 4th). I agreed with him when he said " Just because you can eat more than a cup of food, doesn't mean you should." My doc told me to eat a quarter cup at a time. Take 15 minutes to eat the 1st 1/4c, wait 15min then have another 1/4c if I'm still hungry...etc. He wants me to learn how my band feels.

Take your time eating. I catch myself eating too much and too fast. So I'm still learning even 6 months out. :thumbup:

You can do this!!:thumbup: Small Snacks if needed!! :thumbup: Special K Protein Bar always help me! You've already won by choosing to be healthier and you've lost 25lbs!!:ohmy:!

Good luck!

Tina

Thanks everyone...it does help to hear that other people went through or are going through the same thing...I really am trying to be more positive and your right Carosel, even though I can eat a cup I need to just measure out the half and be done. I just want to be succesful and you know you can read and study on all this before surgery but nothing really prepares you till you live it yourself....I just wasnt prepared to not have more restriction with my first fill!!

If it wasnt for LBT I would never have known what "Banster HEll" was cuz they sure dont cover that in the nutrition part of the pre-op deal....I am so glad that I read about this now that I am advancing in my foods cuz when I went from liquids to solids I gained lbs and if I didnt know what I know now from reading different post I would have felt I paid for the surgery for nothing.....

04948749-FFAB-E84C-90A7-1D94AFDDA05E

IMHO LBT is the best source for info

It's was here I was told - your band is only a tool - it's not going to lose the weight for you - it doesn't make your food choices and it doesn't exercise - all that is all up to you..

I joined LBT 5/14 and when I saw my doc for the 1st time he was surprised that I was so knowledgeable about what the band would and wouldn't do..

Also - I'm lucky my doc is aggressive w/his fills - got to my sweet spot in 2 fills and then had a tweek 1/10..

I was banded in Feb '10 and went in for yet ANOTHER fill today. I now have 8cc in a 9cc band. I am HOPING this one will do the trick. I have had minimal restriction (never true restriction) since being banded and for the last 2 months I felt as though I have actually gone backwards and feel MORE hungry. It has been 7 months of "bandster hell" for me. I will not know until I go back to normal foods though. MAN, I really wished I was the one who did not have to even get fills to reach restriction. Best of Luck

I was banded in Feb '10 and went in for yet ANOTHER fill today. I now have 8cc in a 9cc band. I am HOPING this one will do the trick. I have had minimal restriction (never true restriction) since being banded and for the last 2 months I felt as though I have actually gone backwards and feel MORE hungry. It has been 7 months of "bandster hell" for me. I will not know until I go back to normal foods though. MAN, I really wished I was the one who did not have to even get fills to reach restriction. Best of Luck

Has your doc ck'd your band - you may have a leak

I feel your pain! I go Monday for my 2nd fill and can't wait. The 1st two weeks after my 1st fill were fine. I don't know what happened then. It's like my hunger went into overdrive. Now I just bounce around with 2 pounds (up/down/up/down). I guess that's "maintaining" so I can't get too down about it. I will be happy if I make it through this Bandster Hell period without gaining the 30 I've lost. I'm disappointed though that I have stopped losing. I'm just so hungry, and this all feels like another diet that I am failing. There is such a broad range of emotions that go with it. My inner conversations with myself go from, "you are failing" to "you are doing ok, maintaining until you get restriction is a success" to "just get back to where you were and start dieting again!" Uggg! I am trying to stay positive. I am exercising great again and I tell myself that maintaining a steady weight and exercising will give my body a chance to adjust and maybe the skin issue will not be as bad!

I know it's super-frustrating--but it takes time. Yes, that four-letter word, time.

It's the rare bandster who achieves restriction with the first fill--most take at least 3.

After my first, I was genuinely hungry. I was losing well (because I stuck with the recommended eating plan even though I was starving)---but it was really difficult.

I ended up emailing the nurse coordinator. I told her what and how much I was eating, and how soon I got hungry---and they had me come in for my second fill several weeks early. (I kept my original second-fill appointment, and used it for my third fill.)

Maybe your doctor's office would be willing to work with you, timing-wise, to get you to a place where you're comfortable a little more quickly than they customarily do if you explain what's going on to them.

Thanks Betsy, I did ask my doctor when I got my fill if I didnt feel anything and was still hungry a week later and doing what I should if I could come back in for a fill sooner..he said no at the time and said that I would have to wait for 6 weeks because it can sometime take some time to really feel the fill and it gives my stomach more time to adjust. I am going to at least give it a week but I think it cant hurt to try to call them If I am still feeling this way.