Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Weigh or Not To Weigh

I first want to say that I have a Love-Hate relationship with the scale. I was banded on Thursday Sept 2nd, and since then I can definitely tell I'm down a few pounds. My pants are a little bigger than I remember, and since then I've had an intense urge to step on the scale!

So do I weigh or not weigh?

I can see where the scale can be a positive motivator, but if the number isn't where I want it to be, I risk discouragement and disappointment.

Any Thoughts?

Rebecca,

I am right there with you. If the scale says what I think it should then I am on cloud 9, but watch out if it does not. I think for at least the first month I am going to put the scale away. For me I think it's best. I figure that those first weeks will be enough of an adjustment that I don't need the number on the scale to mess with me as well. After I make peace with the Band I will look up my friend the Scale.

Edited by kosy2

because everyone is different i guess we all have opinions. Me personally. I weigh myself once a week. just to see how im doing. usually on a friday night. Dont be discouraged if your weight isnt where its suppose to be. It took a while to gain it didnt it? if your lose 1 ounce. ur progressing!!!! if you watch what u eat and work out even if minimal the progress will show.

PS: theres no better satisfaction then having ur clothes fit better!!!! even better then numbers. because numbers at the end will always be numbers....but a size smaller means NEW CLOTHES :thumbup:

Hang in there!!!!

weight.png

Since you're so newly banded, I'd say, step on the scale, then stay off for a week. Weighing yourself once a week is enough, especially if you're seeing changes elsewhere. I did the 10x on the scale thing and it really just ruins your mood.

I only get on the scale on Sunday mornings, other than that I stay off (except yesterday when I snacked on Labor Day food :thumbup: and weighed this morning)

Since you're seeing/feeling your clothes fitting different, take pictures. Measure yourself, write your measurements down, and compare in a month or so, you'll really be shocked at the difference. I can't tell you how many times the scale has said one thing and my measurements another. Bodies are crazy!

Just don't let the scale get you down; it's not worth it and it's not our only measure of success.

I am a strong believer in the once a week weigh in. I weigh in on Sun. morning, after using the bathroom. with my undies on. I record it. If I weighed in more the natural flucuations drive me crazy.

I think it's all a matter of personal preference. For me I'm a slow loser and it's very frustrating to step on a scale after 2wks on a liquid pre-op diet only to have lost 6lbs....and post op I've only lost 8lbs in 2 weeks. Especially when I read that some people lose massive amounts of weight during these phases.

However....I have to remember that the reason I did this surgery was to improve my health. I know this is a journey and won't happen overnight. So in order for me to keep my head in the right space to be successful, my MD and RD both agreed to do "blind weigh-in's"(they see the numbers and I don't) and for me just to focus on the non-scale successes.

I do know lots of people though that weigh-in once per week(same day same time) and say it really helps them. Again i think it's just whatever will help you the most.

I agree with the others- set a time- once every week, two weeks, whatever and weigh in. Don't get into the habit of weighing yourself 5 or 6 times a day- that just sets you up for disappointment!

band aug 27th.. and do it really matter that much, just as long as the scale show you're losing thats count right

I have to say, i do step on that scale every day. But, i log the lowest number, and keep it at that!:) I figure, if it goes up one or two pounds , it has to be Water. If I'm following the guide lines and keeping my calories between 900 and 1200 the weight will come off......so what if I retain some water, I'm still going off my low number:tt2:

Peace out

Kelly:wink:

The problem is that I can't trust myself to weigh "just once" and I don't want it to turn into a habit.

I don't believe that the scale is our only measure of success so I think I'm going to take pictures and measurements instead of stepping on the scale.

I like the idea of doing "blind weigh-ins" and will have to suggest that to my RD.

I weigh myself on Monday mornings. I started weighing everyday but the natural fluctuation in our weight I figured out once a week is the way for me.

I weigh myself on Monday mornings. I started weighing everyday but the natural fluctuation in our weight I figured out once a week is the way for me.

That may be the way for me to go in the future, right now though I'm everyday. It is however when I first wake up.

I think it's all a matter of personal preference. For me I'm a slow loser and it's very frustrating to step on a scale after 2wks on a liquid pre-op diet only to have lost 6lbs....and post op I've only lost 8lbs in 2 weeks. Especially when I read that some people lose massive amounts of weight during these phases.

You have to remember, everyone is differnt. And looking at it this way-you've lost 14 pounds in 4 weeks! Thats 14lbs that you've said good-bye to. Be proud of what you've lost and don't be discouraged-everyone loses differently, and you still need to figure out how your body is going to deal with these changes. You're only a couple weeks out. Sometimes you'll feel like you've lost, but the scale will refuse to move. Look for the NSV's. I had a period of time where I didn't lose for 3 months-I even gained some back! But during that time I dropped another pants size. Your body will go through phases where you don't lose, and it will drive you nuts, but it's just how your body is going to work. And remember, it's a learning process :)

When i did the Bernstein diet, we were weighed in M-W-F, it was great because you were losing wt daily, but i became obsessed with the scale! I think after my band, i will weigh myself twice a week.

My advice is to stay off of the scale for the first month after being banded. This is a time for healing and you may not lose much weight if any at all in the beginning. I used to weigh at the same time each day because I felt like it kept me on track. If my weight was up, it made me even more intentional with my diet and exercise that day.

As of recently though, I have put the scale in another room because my weight loss is slowing down a bit and I don't want to get frustrated. Now I'm able to focus more on my workouts and not so much on the scale.