Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No weight loss...will they still give me a fill?

Hi everyone. I had my surgery on June 17 and I haven't really lost anything since...maybe five pounds, not sure. I have a fill coming up(my third) so you think they will still give me one. They get really upset that I haven't lost anymore weight even though I have been working out with a trainer and doing alot more exercise and trying to watch what I eat but not perfect. I never feel full and it drives me crazy. :biggrin:

Any input would be greatly appreciated

rpm2010

I don't see why they wouldn't give you a fill. The band only works when it is used properly and to use it properly requires getting you to restriction.

Let them get upset. Sheesh. I am tired of feeling shamed around medical professionals, like I am a dumb cow who could lose weight if I just tried harder. Not all medical professionals are that way, but the ones who are burn me. Anyway, you had this surgery so that it would help you lose weight, and it is a two-way street and they need to listen to you as well. Tell them you never feel full. Track your food and activity in a journal and take it with you to your doctor's office so they can see the effort that you are putting into losing weight.

Why do they get upset? YOUR PAYING THEM! If anything you should get upset with them if they pressure you to lose weight. The whole purpose of the band is to get filled so you will lose weight not just sit on your stomach doing nothing.

I agree that it's really not their place to scold an adult, especially since it is ultimately your choice what you eat. However, it's possible that they feel that you are making poor food choices and this won't just suddenly stop after restriction. Even the band (under restriction) won't be able to stop the worst foods, only portions.

When you say that you "try to watch what you eat (but not perfect)," are you keeping track of how often you slip? When we're in diet-mode, sometimes we mentally emphasize the good days and diminish the frequency and severity of the slips. This especially happens when we take bites here and there. Therefore, we feel like we were mostly good with our choices, when, in reality, our slips/bites are adding up. This used to be a problem for me because I did most of my eating standing up and snacking. Maybe counting your calories up weekly as well will inform you as to your general trend and tell you if you're consuming more energy than you expend.

If you are making the right food choices, and it's just a matter of portions, I'd say that's what the band is for, and soon enough you'll be dropping weight. I really hope they don't refuse you a fill when it may be what helps you.

Yes, they will give you a fill. Not losing isn't a disqualification--you don't need to "earn" fills. The band does not do its job until you reach an appropriate level of restriction :biggrin:

I find that if I am losing well, they DON'T want to fill me more. If I gain or stay the same they are eager to fill and get some restriction going.

Thank you everyone....That's what I thought I got the lap-band for to have restriction. But I do understand I couldn't eat foods that just go through the band either. It's been a tough one for me. I didn't realize just how much I used food for just about everything. I am educating myself with going to a counselor that specilizes in eating disorders(just started) and working out with a trainer and I do log my food in but not all the time. I think I get frustrated because I don't ever feel full and I have a real issue of getting 600-800 calories a day. Plus I get tired of the meat and a salad or veggie...the no carb thing is really hard but I have cut back alot. It's usually closer to 1000 calories. What makes it worse hubby lost really fast and did wonderful....I'm glad but don't know what's up with me.:biggrin:

rpm2010

Men seem to lose more quickly in general.....BOOOOO! LOL

A 1000 calorie diet is great! It should be enough to lose 1-2 pounds a week at this point. Most normal-bmi women consume about 1300-1500 calories a day. There is no way we were consuming less than 1800 (more likely 2000+) calories before this, so I think you should just keep it at that until you have restriction.

As for carbs, I highly doubt your nurse meant NO carbs. You would die without carbs. Our brains require about 130 grams of carbs to function. The negative effects (slower response-times, worse test results) of not meeting this level become apparent after a week of carb-deficiency (<130g). I think your nurse meant no carbs from the usual grain sources: bread, rice, Pasta, even oats.

I think you should try getting carbs from legumes and Beans (lentils, chick-peas, etc.), and other vegetables. As a vegetarian, pre-band, I healthily lost 60 pounds in four months on a low-carb diet on legumes/beans for both Protein and carbs. Of course, as soon as I stopped the diet, I gained it back, but thankfully we have the band to help (when it kicks in). I'm not advocating for you to be vegetarian. You should also eat meat for Protein. This is mainly to supply your body with its required carbs.

I find that if I am losing well, they DON'T want to fill me more. If I gain or stay the same they are eager to fill and get some restriction going.
Losing well shouldn't be the sole criterion, either. Yes, if you're losing well, you might not need a fill. But you might be losing well because you're white-knuckling it---so also assessed should be the amount you're able to eat, and how long it keeps you satisfied.

I lost very well long before I had restriction. Why? Because I stuck to my doctor's very restrictive food plan, with which it would have been impossible NOT to lose. (It also would have been impossible not to want to gnaw the legs off furniture, it left me so hungry.)

My doctor wanted to know what and how much I was able to eat, and when I became hungry again. That information, along with the amount of weight I lost, was useful. Weight loss alone does not give the full story.

If you have only been working out with a trainer since you were banded then you could be losing but gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat....have you noticed any changes in your shape, not matter how small?

I agree that you are paying them and a personal trainer and food counsellor by the sounds of it so you're not exactly waiting for it to happen on it's own.

These guys are surgeons and fill doctors not experts in weightloss strategies. Most of them have only read the book on being overweight, it's causes and remedies and not actually been there. They are also making a packet out of the struggles we have so please don't let them treat you like giving you a fill is rewarding bad behaviour if you haven't lost weight...that is what you are going there for, not a lecture.

Just tell them that you have little or no restriction and it is not being of any help and neither are they.

Good luck with it

I've only gotten one fill because that's all I've needed to have sufficient restriction, but I guarantee my doctor would keep giving them to me if I required more. That's their job and the whole point of the surgery in the first place, in addition to giving you sound advice regarding diet and exercise.