Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose the band over GB?

There was no decision between Band or Bypass - Bypass was not even considered in my book - I'd rather be fat than have my insides re-arranged - its just not natural enough - also the band is completely reversible if need be - I also know a few people who have had bad complications after bypass - one even died.

Hi

I read your post and decided to not read all the answers before posting my own...my opinion is purely experience...not affected anymore by what I should be feeling like of what it should have been like or what it is like for others....

Being scared stiff of dying was the biggest reason I went for the band and not for the GB or rather DS (prefered surgery)Got the impression that 1 in 200 people actually die from the other ops.......also that the long term complications are a lot more in the other operations than with the band....

After all the trouble that I am having with the band and the money I have spent on tests and dr's and the fact that they can do nothing but remove it again I doubt that the problems is any worse with the other ops...I wonder what is worse.....having you insides rearranged and then having problems (but you do know why..)or having a foreign object inside you and never knowing why I am having so much pain,reflux,heartburn back pain.....never knowing what is happening at the site of that foreign object because I have a lot of pain....a foreign object that inevetably will have to be removed again......and I am still 30kg's overweight.

I will be more than 20000 dollars out of pocket.....and when the band is gone the weight might come back (without a change of habit it will)...it works out to 500 dollars per kg.....if I knew that I would have gotten a private trainer and a nutritionist and a life coach and I am sure I would have lost all the weight what with all the positive motivation and lifestyle changes....

Or if I could get courage from somewhere I would have gone for the duodenal switch and it would have been harder to recover and I would have been sicker in the beginning...but I would have been at goal now,drinking my Vitamins...eating my Proteins.......not wondering if I am a total fool for going on holiday before doing the gastroscopy and not freaking out because I will have to have another anesthetic (have a lung decease that makes it very high risk...) wondering what the long term complications will be after the band is removed...just going through all this everyday of my life tells me that the medical centre that doesnt do the op anymore needs a medal.......

MY OPINION.....EVERYONE IS ENTITLED......

Not to sound vain, but I chose the lap band because there's less excess skin (or so I've heard) due to the moderate speed of the weight loss.

I know lots of people who have out eaten their RNY and other bypasses. As a nurse I have also watched them die from surgical complications and be ill the rest of their lives because of malnutrition.

Having said that, I really wanted a GBP for a while. But my insurance won't cover it and I have to be self pay. I am planning on a band in Mexico.

I can see why people would chose a GBP. There are lots who have had great results.

Your choice isn't a personal statement about you or anyone else - it's just chosing one option. Why be so aggressive about it and make comments about losing the band in 3 years and getting fat? Especially on a supportive board for banders? This isn't a competition. I hope every overweight person who tries to lose weight does well, whether they chose GBP (ANY KIND), banding, weight watchers, etc.

GPB isnt really that common in Australia and I was nowhere near desperate enough over my weight to consider it, that's major major surgery and I would never have done that voluntarily. I was healthy and relatively happy and the band to be totally honest, while I'm frustrated by my sore ankle, was more for vanity than anything else. I'm 38 and I want to be a yummy mummy! I have no other health problems and could never justify an operation like a GBP.

The band is so flexible, if I cant live with the lifestyle it can be unfilled, it can be removed, if I have problems because of it it can be removed and maybe replaced, I havent changed my innards in any major way, the scarring is going to be minimal, there's less chance of really bad skin afterwards, I can eat enough and with enough variety to remain healthy as that too is in my control, it's my tradeoff between my food and eating lifestyle and how fast I lose the weight or how much I actually lose.

Its my tool and I can use it the way I want to.

Why be so aggressive about it and make comments about losing the band in 3 years and getting fat? Especially on a supportive board for banders? This isn't a competition. I hope every overweight person who tries to lose weight does well, whether they chose GBP (ANY KIND), banding, weight watchers, etc.

And so do I. Tell me where I have been nonsupportive of the band? My band did it's job-my body didn't want it in me. I explained why *I* revised to a DS. I don't think I've ever been called aggressive...and I still recommend the band. Like you said~my choice isn't a personal statement about me or anyone else. So don't take it personal, OK?

Why shouldn't I tell my story? Should I not be here because I no longer have a band? You don't have to answer. I can probably guess what your answers are. At any rate, I wish you the best with your surgery.

Isn't it true that with DS they have to cut you wide open and it can't be done laparoscopically? That to me screams I don't want it. I will take my chances with the band. If it works it works, if not I've really lost nothing literally. I haven't endured major surgery with both GB (which can be done laparoscopically) but has horrible side-effects, and I sure haven't had my whole stomach cut open. Now If I've been mis-informed that DS requires a huge incision, feel free to correct me, but this is what my doctor has told me.

That is incorrect. Mine was Laproscopic, and he removed the band through the incision over my port. I had 4 incisions, the same as when my band was done. But, yes, half my stomach is now gone. If I didn't know better than I'd guess all he did was take out the band. Thank God I didn't have any complications, and as long as I take my supplements, I shouldn't have any problems with malnutrition.

This is an interesting thread... I didn't realize that the DS is a form of bypass. I'm the first to admit that I know nothing about the DS. It wasn't an option where I had my surgery. My earlier comments on why I chose the band over bypass were RNY specific.

This is a really interesting thread and something I've thought of asking as well...

I chose the band over the bypass for a few reasons:

1) I have not had kids yet and it can be adjusted when I get pregnant

2) I have lots of abdominal issues already stemming for a birth defect called Gastroschisis. I have malrotation of my bowels and adhesions holding everything together in the wrong place. So they wouldn't be able to go in and re-route and remove my guts. I already have digestive issues from all of that as well.

3) slower healthier weight loss

4) No dependence on suppliments the rest of my life

5) It's adjustable, so there is less risk of stretching out the pouch, like with the bypass, if you stretch back out you're screwed, we can have our Drs adjust to assist us a long the way.

Thank you for all your posts.

I know lots of people who have out eaten their RNY and other bypasses. As a nurse I have also watched them die from surgical complications and be ill the rest of their lives because of malnutrition.

Having said that, I really wanted a GBP for a while. But my insurance won't cover it and I have to be self pay. I am planning on a band in Mexico.

I can see why people would chose a GBP. There are lots who have had great results.

Your choice isn't a personal statement about you or anyone else - it's just chosing one option. Why be so aggressive about it and make comments about losing the band in 3 years and getting fat? Especially on a supportive board for banders? This isn't a competition. I hope every overweight person who tries to lose weight does well, whether they chose GBP (ANY KIND), banding, weight watchers, etc.

I definitely agree.. I'm happy for everyone no matter what decision they make/made... :whoo:

The plain simple truth of why I chose the band was the cost. My insurance only pays 10,000 dollars of Any kinda of weight loss surgery. It was my only affordable option.

I haven't had surgery yet, and while I find the rapid weight loss from GB tempting, I'm leaning towards the lap band due to a point the doctor brought up at the WLS seminar. He mentioned that if you should get cancer some time after WLS, the band can be unfilled so your body can get more nutrition while you fight the cancer. With GB, there's no going back. We have a history of colon cancer in my family and I've already had one biopsy showing precancerous cells, so lap band may the the safest option for me in the future.

Karen

For me, I liked the idea that the LB is reversible. I didn't want to lose 100 pounds overnight, but to lose weight more gradually, so that was another plus for me.

I was also hoping that just having a band would be enough of a support to help me succeed without going the more drastic route. So far, so good!