Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost three days out and needing advice

Hey again everybody! It seems that all I have been doing lately is researching on here about this and that. Which is why I am here again, as you probably figured.

Okay, I had surgery on Monday. I am of course still sore (does the shoulder pain ever stop?), but I am a little worried. My stomach is hard and hot, feels like bees are stinging me inside - not at my insicions though. I have had diarrhea today (haven't had anything to eat but swanson chicken broth, Water, propel fitness water, a grape sno-cone, and sugar-free Jello since Saturday). I am also up 3 pounds. I don't understand what is going on, and I am afraid I might have done something to my band by overdoing it my first day post-op. I keep forgetting not to bend over until I get bent over and the pain starts. I keep forgetting not to pick up heavier things until the pain starts. Etc, etc. Should I call my doc? or should I lock myself in my bedroom so I don't forget again and start picking up after the family?? I don't want to sound like a whiner, I went through three childbirths with less pain than this. Everyone else seems to be doing so well already, I don't know what is going on!

PLease let me know if you have heard of others with this same situation and what was up!!

Thanks thanks thanks

~Cheri

Your shoulder pain will eventually pass. I was miserable for about 3 days after my surgery. I too wanted to over do it. But rest, get plenty to drink, and don't worry about weight gain. You just had major surgery and this is the healing process. Check with your doc for pain meds if the pain is too much. A heating pad helps with the shoulder pain. Also do a search of old threads on here, there is lots of useful info. Best of luck!

I do not know about the stinging feeling. But day 8 and still have the awful shoulder pain.Down eleven pounds but I did not weigh till day seven.I would check with the doctor just to be safe.Wylers herbs and spices cubes are great.I started mushies yesterday thank you GOD.I had diarrhea for the next four days till I stared mushies.I can feel for you with the shoulder pain.I have had a C section, Tube, gallbladder and Hyst and I have never had pain like this shoilder pain. It is awful.My surgery spot is minor compared to that.

There is nothing wrong with calling your surgeon, if you feel that things may not be normal. If your incisions, especially your port incision, is feeling hot...you may want to call your surgeon. Sometimes that is the first signs of an infection. Don't carry anything more than a gallon of milk. You don't want to break open your internal or external stitches. Let your body heal and give things time. No weight loss is ok in the first 6 weeks. Good luck and vibes. Shawn

I, too would check with your doctor on the hot issue. The pain in your shoulder may be coming from the nerve near your left diaphram that they manipuilate around. This nerve sends a pain straight to your left shoulder. I used heating pad and heat Patches. It does eventually subside but may return if you over-eat or eat too fast.. Try to relax and not overdo it.

My gas pains in my shoulder didn't fully go away until 1 1/2 post op. I too, was doing a lot more than I probably should have.

Check with your doctor if you have any questions at all, they have heard it all and will set your mind at ease immediately.

hey cheri. i had my surgery on the 2nd of december. my shoulder pain went away after two days. the doc said move my arms around to get rid of the gas. your sounds like it may be something different.

my tummy is not hot, but it is puffy,. my doc said that is normal, i do not think heat would be normal. i would call the doc immiediately.

i did eat Tomato Soup today (all i have had in the past is broth, pudding or water), and after i was done i has a little shoulder pain. i think i ate too much of it....but i was needing more than broth. i have lost 15 lbs since day of surgery, but i do not think i am eating enough...my body is going in to starvation mode!!

let us know what the doc said.

The nurse in me says "hot feeling tummy" is not a good sign. I would immediately call my dr. about it.

Anytime there is heat to an area, it is usually indicative of infection...please contact your Doctor. Also, the pain should not be that intense, I mean, c'mon..."bees stinging you"?? I'm a nurse (literally) and it just doesnt sound good.

Hey Guys! Thanks for the support! I talked to the doctor's office today. He was in surgery all day, so they talked with him briefly concerning my issues (discolored patch on side of tummy, bees stinging me with their fiery stingers, hot and hard area, as well as tremendous diarrhea and shoulder pain). He said it sounded like infection to him. Since he was not able to see me today, he called me in some antibiotics to use over the weekend (my post-op appt is Tuesday). He told them that if I don't feel better to go to the ER. I don't like the thought of that since my local hospital puts more people in the ground than back on their feet! But, I will definitely not fool around with this!!

The worst part is that the pain meds he prescribed do Nothing for the issues I am having - but an ice pack on both seems to relieve it somewhat!

I'll keep you posted!

~cheri

Good that you called the Dr and that you have meds to get you through the weekend. Have DH rent some chick-flicks for you and rest until your post-op visit. I'll send up a quick prayer with your name on it. Sending you sunshine :lick :lick

(Hey these two :lick :lick look like you!) sleep tight

Ooh, I wouldnt like a hot tummy, I'd be off to get some antibiotics I think.

But re the weight, I"ve had no solid food for about 7 days now and I just got on the scales and havent lost anything (surgery yesterday morning). I figure I'm full of about 4 bags of saline and 30 or 40 litres of gas, it'll come off dont worry about it.

Glad to hear you called Dr. and he Rx antibiotics! Good move on your part. It's always best to be on top of things...Shawn

Hey Cheri, how are you feeling today ?

I'm so glad you realized these symptoms are not normal. Did you get your meds ?

Hey!

Feeling the same today as before. I drank a glass of skim milk today because I am actually HUNGRY (I think appetite is probably a good thing at this point??), and I feel pretty good tummy-wise.

I wish I could describe the sensation I am having a little better. I have an area about 2 1/2 inches around that is discolored somewhat to the left of my two big incisions. Right at the center of the discoloration, it is warm to the touch, and it feels like something is stinging me (the way a steroid shot feels when they first put it in) and burning me (just like your finger on a curling iron). It feels this way all of the time, but is severe when I change positions. I am wondering if it is maybe the tubing rubbing my insides, but doc seems to think it is an infection (although I haven't actually seen him). My dear dim-witted hubby says he sure hopes they didn't leave something inside me (nice thing to say, eh?), but at least I would have my surgery covered for sure then!!!! lol

So, any medical people out there, he put me on cephalexin for the "infection" and will see me Tuesday. My question for you is, would you go ahead and be seen (I am a chicken I think from reading all of the bad things and having a friend pass away after bypass due to sepsis last month).

Not that I would wish this on anyone, but I sure do wish someone else had the same experience so they could talk to me about it! If you know anyone or talk to anyone with a similar situation, please have them talk to me, as I am actually quite freaked out right now!!!!!

thanks everybody!

~cheri