Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on 08/18/10 and couldnt really stick to a pre-diet knowing id never be able to binge again. I did though stick to pre op instructions and lost a couple of lbs from that. My start weight was 185. I felt some restriction and loss of appetite post-op, but find my appetite increasing every day. I was down to 177 (-8), but found myself testing the limits and eating stuff that is not part of liquid diet. Since yesterday I went from 177 to 180 again. Im kind of scared that Im going to gain back the 5lbs before my doctor allows me to fill. He will only fill once every six weeks (for which, my first 2 fills are free), and im also scared that I wont feel any restriction with only a few fills considering his conservativeness. I feel like Im not going to reap the benefit of the band for quite a while. Did anyone have similar experiences? Would anyone recommend me getting filled by another doctor to speed up the process? I do understand the first 6 week wait, to allow the band to sit and the stomach to heal, but after that, im not sure. Also, Im still feeling semi pregnant with the swelling. How long will this take to go down?

Thanks,

Sabrina:Dancing_confused::(:Dancing_confused::tongue2::Dancing_confused:

You and I are starting out at about the same size, but I was banded in April.

You need to be careful about "testing the limits" this early after your surgery, as you could hurt yourself.

Be patient, follow your doctor's instructions and remember that those of us who start out with relatively low BMI's (compared to some other Bandsters) will not lose weight at as fast a rate.

Good luck and welcome to "bandster hell!"

I was banded 8/16/10 and also have a low bmi. I also have the swolen preggo feeling! GasX strips seem to help a little.

I would not test the band this early by eating stuff you arent supposed to. I know you are starving and at the same time probably are as anxious as I am to see a difference in your weight/size. I was scared to death 2 days after my surgery when a close friend had to have emergency surgery due to band slippage from vomiting.

You had this in order to improve your life, why cause yourself any danger. I would not get a fill from another Dr. Trust the one you trusted to operate on you.

Thanks Jamyie & Shelly,

Your both right, but its sooooooo difficult. I feel as if nothing has happened, everything goes down as if I had no band at all. I feel so lost, I know that we have the mushies, but are we supposed to count calories or plan a Protein meal. I feel like i was given a list of mushies to eat, but not good at understanding what to eat and what porportion? Am I to eat until Im full or just the 3-5 ounce rule? What are you doing? Thanks Again, Sabrina

Hang in there --- the first few months are the worst...as your body heals and you adjust to life with the band....until you hit your "sweet spot" you won't see the weight loss and struggle with feeling hungry between meals, etc....it is truly a nightmare, but remember at the end of the tunnel there is a light! Be careful with testing the limits as if you eat too much before you are healed you risk your band slipping and ending back up in surgery....that alone was enough to make me behave as I didn't wanna go through that again.

You will get there, hang in there!

Well, you didn't really gain 3 pounds overnight--that sort of gain is related to Fluid retention.

However, you really need to get a grip on the eating. It's natural to resist big changes--but you've gone to pretty drastic lengths in the name of losing weight, so it's imperative that you do make those changes.

It sounds like your mind is playing games with you---and that you're playing along by not sticking to the preop diet and testing the limits of the postop diet. These are NOT things that support weight loss.

You need to make the decision to to what you need to do to lose weight. That means choosing the right foods, in the right amounts. It means NOT pushing the limits. It may very well mean being hungry---which is not pleasant, but if you remind yourself that this is the LAST time you will be hungry in the name of weight loss, it is liveable.

Your body has enough reserve that you are not going to starve to death if you follow your doctor's instructions. No one has yet died from hunger during the time it takes to achieve restriction.

So you simply have to make the decision to do what you need to do to lose the weight. And not just so that you get those 5 pounds off so that you can get a fill---but because it's what your body needs.

You're in control--but you have to exercise that control.

ETA: if you go to another doctor to "speed up the process," yo may well find your aftercare with your surgeon compromised. Mine would be VERY unhappy if I were to do this; I suspect he would discharge me from his care.

Thanks Jamyie & Shelly,

Your both right, but its sooooooo difficult. I feel as if nothing has happened, everything goes down as if I had no band at all. I feel so lost, I know that we have the mushies, but are we supposed to count calories or plan a Protein meal. I feel like i was given a list of mushies to eat, but not good at understanding what to eat and what porportion? Am I to eat until Im full or just the 3-5 ounce rule? What are you doing? Thanks Again, Sabrina

I am following Dr's orders and am consuming 2oz at each meal. I "eat" 3 times a day....mashed taters, grits, scrambled egg, cream Soup. I do get hungry between meals and have a Protein Drink or snack..applesauce, yogurt or pudding...only 2oz! I am also constantly drinking too and YES, I'm still hungry.

This surgery is hell to recover from. I sure dont want to have to suffer through it again if my band slips nor do I want to have to pay again! I hope you are having better days!! :o

Hi Sabrinaa,

Just making up your mind to do the right thing is easier said than done, isn't it? I feel you! We all have different reasons for holding on to our weight, some more benign than others. From your post it sounds like you could use some support. Doesn't sound like you are a person that just follows your doctors orders just because he/she is a doctor. I get it, not everyone is like that. But, sometimes we have to consider that, at the very least, our docs aren't trying to do us harm. So, when your doc says you need to be on liquids after surgery ... you should probably follow this edict -- it is likely for your safety and well being. You may not feel the results of pushing the envelope now, but down the line you may truly regret it. That said, you probably should try to follow an eating plan and maybe go to OA or see a therapist -- one that specializes in food disorders, etc. I found seeing a therapist very helpful with helping me get a grip on why I eat or rather why I overeat. The bottom line is, when you test the limits of your band you are only sabotaging yourself. Our biggest issues are in our heads, not our stomachs. Be good to yourself by doing things/eating foods that are going to further your goal of losing weight.

Read this forum! There is soooo much information here and the people are great. Trust me when I say "you can do this!"

All the best to you on your journey.

Never thought about GasX-- I'll have to try that.. Thanks for the heads up

You can not expect the band to do do everything for you. It is important to get into a new mind set and change your eating habits and not push yourself to the limits. You spent a lot of money on this surgery and it is important to look at the liquid diet as a cleanse. It erases the bad habits from your mind and puts a fresh outlook on eating. I realize now that I can only live on protien and Water and I do not need all of the gross food I ate before. No food tastes as good as skinny feels!!!!!