Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am six days post surgery, have been doing well on my liquid diet and am healing up just fine. According to my doctor's instructions, I am supposed to graduate to foods including yogurt at a week post surgery. Last night, I decided to give this a trial run. I ate about half a container of a Yoplait Whips yogurt, ate it very slowly, let the yogurt melt into liquid in my mouth before swallowing. I felt fine while eating, and took about a half hour to eat the half-container. About an hour later, I was feeling sick and was sliming. It never did come back up, but I felt awful for the next several hours. Seriously nauseated. I know that I am not supposed to drink after a meal, so I waited a few hours and finally did take a few sips of Water. Felt immediate improvement when I did this, although I still didn't feel well for hours. Any ideas about what I did wrong? Really, really would like to prevent that from happening again. Today, I feel like I'll never eat solid foods again!

You may still be a little bit swollen. I'd stick to liquids for a few days more. Yogurt may still be a little too thick. I was on liquids for 2 weeks post-op. It will get better for you though!

today is my 8th day post op and am on the mushies phase, I have had no trouble with yogurt,but I use homemade and add a teaspoon of strawberry preserves to sweeten it. I do have a bit of trouble with the Protein Shakes being so heavy in the stomach. I really have to take about 30 min to get anything down I use a baby spoon to be sure I am not going to fast. Very cold Water seems to sit right in my throat like a bubble, i do better if it is not to cold. Maybe the whips yogurt has to much air in it?

I would think it was just a little too thick for you and possibly a little too much @ one time. I too was on liquids two weeks post op. my esophogeous and small pouch are really sensitive so I have to be really careful. if I ate something that caused any irritation or swelling i'm back on liquids for a few days. when you try your mushies again try thinner things...like thinned out cream of wheat or applesauce. best of luck to you!! :(

Don't forget about baby foods. Start out with the smooth ones...then move to mushies. Avoid whipped...it does contain air bubbles that will bloat you. Gas is no fun!

My doctor in SF is one of the largest bariatric groups in the nation and they have done over 4000 lap band surgeries not to mention gastoric bypass surgeries. They tell their patients you absolutely have to stay on liquid for 3 weeks. There may be a reason for this based on other patients that have had your experience.

You may not be ready for solids. I got my surgery 6 days ago and can not imagine eating anything since I am still swollen and have a lot of discomfort. IT is better to get out of the bad habits that got us all overweight in the first place and get into a new mindset. My doctor said the way you eat in the first 3-4 weeks is going t be an indicator of how you will succeed in the long term with this diet/surgery.

Edited by BeachBabe