Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not a popular topic.... but I have to ask (constipation)

I was banded in Oct 08 and have done very well, berst decision I have ever made in my life. I am at 220 and have kept it off and I am still losing.... slowly but surely and it stays off. Anyway.... I am still having to eat Exlax to get things moving... anyone else have this problem? Maybe I need to change my diet, but short of eating prunes all day long, I am not sure what to do.

Or do I just need to start bulk buying the Exlax?

Do NOT take laxatives more than once a month!! It screws up your body chemistry and you will come to rely on it.

I have always had an issue with not being regular because I loathe most vegetables. I drink metamucil in the morning if I don't have a bran Cereal for Breakfast. That helps.

I think at one point or another everyone has this problem.

I use flax seed in my yogurt, bran Cereal or senkot ( last resort) if I have problems.

My doc told me Metamucil is very bad and I shouldnt use it ever!

Another bandster here told me about Vitafusion Fiber gummies from Target. They work great! The dose is 2 gummies a day, but I eat one a day and stay regular.

They taste great and are a very soft gummie that are very easy to chew up.

More Water, fruit, and add activia yogurt should help!

I had horrible frequent bowel movements before banding. For the first few weeks things were very slow.

Now that I have adjusted to eating better I never realized just how irregular I was.

I had fast fast fast food for the first time in 4 months this week and it seemed like the BM was never going to stop. Back to the grains and veggies for me.

The flax, metamucil, and fiber gummies all seem like a great way to add a little bit if you don't fit the whole items into your diet regularly.

Congrats on the 220... that is my goal in the next 14 months.

Watch out for this one. I was constipated on the pre-surgery diet of Protein shakes and I pushed a little to hard causing an anal fissure (wikipedia has the info). I am trying to get over it, but it is agony. Wondering if anyone else has had this and what they did to heal it.

On the one hand, I want to not get constipated, but when I go every day, I don't have any tim between BMs to heal. It really sucks.

Good news is that I have lost 32 pounds in 3 months. I am at 272, only 47 pounds from my goal of 235. My Asthma symptoms are 90% gone and I just bought myself a killer mountain bike!

I'm not banded yet but I've been taking metamucil for many years. Was told that after banding I cannot use it anymore. I started looking for alternatives, and finally found that Unifiber works. Up to the point that I found Unifiber, I was told by my doctor to use Milk of Magnesia and it worked like a charm. Who would have thought. Anyhow, it wouldn't be a good long term solution but give it try for now

Glad someone else asked this. I have always been somewhat irregular, but my morning coffee always cleans me out. I didn't drink it much on weekends so no BM then, but Monday morning, bam. Since being banded (6/30/2010) I found that my magic coffee no longer works. I've had to take a laxative twice because it had been more than a week both times and even then it's not "normal". I find my weight stays the same with no poo but once I do, my weight starts dropping. I do NOT want to use laxatives - they give me terrible tummy aches and I cannot stomach the taste of prunes or prune juice. Don't really want to take metamucil and Milk of Magnesia makes me gag (I know, I can be picky.) I'm very thankful for all suggestions.

I did the flax seed didn't want to work. I found going to the store and getting the individually wrapped pitted prunes and taking one each morning with Breakfast and I am now quite regular.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches