Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three days post surgery, and I'm freaking out...

After many months of waiting, tons of research, jumping through all the insurance hoops, etc., I finally had my surgery on Thursday, 8/19. Had to spend the night at the hospital Thursday night due to a hiatal hernia repair. Since I've been home, I've completely out of it... but what freaks me out the most is how nauseated I am. The nausea started right after surgery, when they took me for the barium swallow test I was hardly able to stand up and had difficulty trying to keep it down. I can't handle broth at all, I drank a little last night and was nauseated for the rest of the evening. The only things that stay down okay are sugar-free popsicles and Water, if I drink it slowly. I'm just looking for anyone who has had any similar experiences... right now, I'm feeling as if the surgery may have been a mistake (although I have lost ten pounds since Monday!) I just can't stand feeling so poorly all the time... although its only been three days, so perhaps I'm jumping on the drama bandwagon a little too soon!

You have my complete sympathy. Strangely, I was okay for a couple of days after surgery, then sick as a dog for a week. Drank nothing but apple juice.

It seemed to be just a purely mechanical problem: there's a damn band around the stomach, which swells up and you feel sick. As soon as the swelling goes down, you're fine.

As long as you can keep Water down (mostly), you're okay. Just try to rest as much as possible.

The good news is: it will be over soon.

I'm four months in and just got proper restriction. Now I'm feeling absolutely great and couldn't be happier with my band. Hang in there. It will get SO MUCH BETTER!

Hello I had surgery the same day you did & I understand exactly how you feel. Last night I was crying and felt like I made a mistake as well. I feel disoriented, confused, and frustrated. We have to take it one day at a time and I know we will survive. Let's think about the final results. You will be fine.

I felt horrible for about a week after surgery. I was running a low grade temp and was nauseous too. Did your doc give you nausea medicine? That helped me somewhat. It wasnt until I started drinking my Protein Shakes that I started feeling better. I guess my body didn't like the lack of nutrition it was getting. Hang in there! It will get better!

Could your pain medication be doing some of it to you. I know for me I can't take any at all because they make me sick.

Could your pain medication be doing some of it to you. I know for me I can't take any at all because they make me sick.

I'm the same way. If your taking the narcotics I'd try to stop them and maybe get some nausea meds from your doc. I hope your feeling better soon.

I feel for you. I am 2 days post op and last night I had so much bloating and just a gnawing hunger-like pain in my stomach. I'm still experiencing it today. I am having to force myself to drink, and just take it very slowly. Last night I cried on my husband's shoulder, because I felt like I had made a huge mistake.

We'll get through this! Reading this forum has been a big help to me.

Sorry to hear that you're feeling so poorly. As it was stated in the other posts the nausea will pass. I was the same way. I couldn't even stand the smell of food for the first week. Once I got off of the pain meds (which I did almost right away) I started feeling somewhat better but it did take a week. After that I was ready to take on the world. Hang in there and you will be feeling better soon. Best of luck!!

Edited by jiminyt
spelling

I was banded 8/20, 3rd day post op for me. I am feeling like you do and thought I made a mistake!!! :confused: I can't keep ANY fluids down (water, chicken broth, gatorade) so I am feeling sick because I guess I am dehydrated as well. I can't even swallow 1/4 of a pill as it seems to get stuck in my chest and it hurts bad... then it will regurgitate and I will end up vomiting to feel better... Does anyone have advice for me? I am seeing my doctor in the morning... I went walking just now and ate some yogurt while I was at it, it did make me feel better, some regurgitation but the feeling of swelling is less now... I hope things will be better ASAP as I am losing hope....

I was banded 8/20, 3rd day post op for me. I am feeling like you do and thought I made a mistake!!! :confused: I can't keep ANY fluids down (Water, chicken broth, gatorade) so I am feeling sick because I guess I am dehydrated as well. I can't even swallow 1/4 of a pill as it seems to get stuck in my chest and it hurts bad... then it will regurgitate and I will end up vomiting to feel better... Does anyone have advice for me? I am seeing my doctor in the morning... I went walking just now and ate some yogurt while I was at it, it did make me feel better, some regurgitation but the feeling of swelling is less now... I hope things will be better ASAP as I am losing hope....

sounds like your stomach is pretty swollen unless the doc put restriction on during surgery. I think there are docs that do that. Since it was a little better today, I tend to think it's swolen. It's good you are seeing the doc in the morning.

I'm sorry all of you are having these feelings but it comforts me to know I'm not alone. I was banded 8/16/10 and had to have an IV due to dehydration. My tummy stays full of gas and I am in constant pain because of it. Tried GasX but it only relieves it for a few minutes. Seems like my body keeps producing it. I cannot wear pants I wore prior to surgery because I'm so bloated. Has anyone else had this problem?

I keep telling my self that this will be worth it in the end once this passes. I have had my share of tears since surgery. I wish you all the best!

Shelly

I had my surgery 8-17-10 and told my anethesiologist about how easy I get nauseated and to please help with that going in, I have not had any at all and have only been given toradol for pain the whole way thru, now I am using children's liquid tylenol and that is working fine. I also had a hernia repair done.

I know for me the narcotics always make me so sick,goody for toradol.:confused:

Shelly, I was done on the 19th also. Feeling very bloated. I'm taking Tylenol extra strength. The narcotics make me nauseas. Also, have your doc write a script for you for Zofran SL for nausea. It is the only thing that stops it for me. Good luck

Shelly, I got dehydrated too and ended up in the ER for fluids. I also had a lot of gas up under my rib cage that was painful. I found that going up and down the stairs occassionally got it moving. My doc said that the Gas-x helps break up the gas into smaller bubbles that allow you to get them either up or out. It took me 3 days to get rid of it and start getting more liquids in. At first I thought it was my stomach that was causing me the problem but it was the gas. Once that went away I just had discomfort from the band and what I think was maybe bruising on my liver as it was tender. After a week, I was much better. Hang in there and force the fluids. If you can get a Protein Drink in it will make you feel better.

hi everyone, i had my surgery on the 18th. The first 48 hours were absolute "hell" for me. I was so nauseated and bloated. I think what has helped me is to stay in an upright position. I slept in our den for the first 3 nights. I actually got to sleep in our bed last night. The problem that i have now is the soreness in my stomach. But i know that will go away in time. Honestly i didn't eat any broth for the first 24 hours because i was so nauseous, but then worked into my Soups, and the sugar free popsicles work really well, but i would suggest a 1/2 at a time and take it slow.