Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged - Don't think I was ready for the band

I was banded on May 26, 2010. I have lost approximately 16lbs in almost 3 months. I know this process is slow and I know that I have to work hard for it. The problem is not, not knowing what I'm supposed to do. The problem is that I'm not doing it.:smile2: I'm trying to eat healthier and I am eating smaller portions for sure but I'd be lying if I said I was exercising. I have worked out max 5 times since I was able to work out. I'm not gonna sit here and give you all excuses. When I get home I get lazy. That's it :eek: I'm not committed just quite yet and I don't know how to get there. When I look at my self in the mirror, and realize how stupid I am for not following the proper instructions and get depressed and we all know what that leads to right?

I'm honestly having doubts about this whole thing. I'm starting to fill that I was not ready to take this step. :)

Edited by Ms_C

Ms_C, making changes in the way we live is hard. If it was easy everyone would do it. My suggestion is try to find some exercise that is fun, maybe walking the mall with a friend; or depending on where you live your neighborhood is a great place to get out and see what is acutally in your neighborhood. Hopefully with the soon change in weather, (it's very hot here in VA) I am looking forward to walking outside with our dogs and seeing what is new in our neighborhood. Pick your chin up, stand up tall, look in the mirror and tell yourself, I am worth it! :smile2:

Ms_C - it's somewhat normal to have feelings like this when you are losing so slowly and have been only a few months along in the process. The first several months are very difficult because it's not only about waiting to get the proper restriction level you need but also the time it takes mentally to adjust to the changes you have to make and how you are going to be able to live with the band.

Yes, the band is not for everyone, however, you may just have to ask yourself, how bad do you want to lose weight? How much do you want to be healthier and be physically able to enjoy being active? It takes a fair amount of willpower to make the right choices in foods, but also it helps to have a very supportive person that can encourage and motivate you into being more active. A workout buddy, spouse, friend, co-worker...someone that can prod you to go walking even if you don't feel like it. Try and mix up being active...whether it's for a walk, hike, elliptical, swim, bike...whatever. It helps tremondously. I wouldn't be where I am without the support and encouragement of my husband. We make it a point to do something active every day. It has helps him also.

It really does take time to make lifestyle changes. Start by focusing on eating better, then increase your activity level gradually. Try and focus on the positive results that are going to happen if you take the correct steps to get there.

Support group meetings can be very helpful...even if it's a couple of people who meet who live nearby. It's talking about what it's like to be a bandster, helpful tips on eating, what changes you may find that happen (either physically, socially, psychologically). Don't feel like you are alone in this. Reach out to your doctor's office for guidance if you need to.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't give up too soon. It is a slow and long process. But remember 1 lb a week is 52 lbs a year. Nothing to sneeze at. Every lb is a celebration if it stays off. Good luck to you :smile2:

lots of good advice in the previous posts. I would add looking into therapy- hopefully you have insurance. You can look into the emotional reasons behind your eating and come up with productive alternatives. One is excersise which brings me to my next piece of advice. Start a excersise program! It will help with stress and really help with weight loss. It keeps your metabolism running higher all day long. I was at a stall in weighloss for about a month. Kicked up the intensity on the treadmill and the scale is moving again. You can do this! You are worth it for sure!

Hiya, please don't be discouraged. Everyone's experience with the band is different some people lose everything they want in months. I've lost 75lbs in nearly 3 years and that is really slow loss compared to people on here but for my own personal view I feel great! Since having the band I've, on the whole, lost weight. I've stayed the same a long time but not put on more than 2-3 lbs max and that is for the first time in my life that I can remember. I used to sniff food and put on weight lol.

I didn't exercise for a long time because I wasn't ready but now I go regularly and enjoy it.

Don't put yourself under any pressure, it is a hard adjustment for you mentally and physically. Give yourself a chance - reading on this site can help too.

Think of it as a long term investment and just focus on small goals at first. You've lost 16lb since May - in your pre-band life how long would it take you to lose that? I know for me it would take ages and then 3 months later I would have put 8lbs back on.

You're doing fine. Good luck!

Edited by foxychick04

Ditto what Foxychick said!! Its so hard for us to think long term we want everything fast and right now...Im going through the same thing...I dont want to wait a year to lose weight I want it coming off fast without all the effort but the fact is it wont happen like that...we chose to eat and let ourselves get overweight and we chose to get the band...so we have to just put our big girl panties on do what we gotta do to get where we want!!

The last time I lost a lot of weight I told myself that I could'nt have dinner if I did'nt go to the gym directly after work. No gym no dinner. I always want to have dinner soooo. Admittedly that is a harsh mentality but it worked for me.

First off, congrats on your progress! 16 Pounds in 10 weeks is great. That makes for about 82 pounds in a year.

Exercise and working out are not the same thing. I'm down 145 pounds in 11 months and have not stepped foot inside a gym in over 5 years.

However, I do try and walk for at least 5 hours (300 minutes) a week. As somebody mentioned earlier, it is nice to get out and see what is actually going on in the neighborhood; seeing people and things I don't see speeding by in my car while watching the road.

Start small. Try and walk for a 150 minutes a week; splitting it up any way you please.

Do you have a dog or does your lifestyle leave you time to care properly for one. They are a great inspiration to walk.

I have 2 dogs that I enjoy walking with nearly as much as they enjoy walking with me.

PS. It's too late for doubts honey. The band is in you. Now is the time to learn to enjoy it.

I was banded the same day you were and my high weight the same as yours. I knew going into this that my struggles with metabolism would contribute to my success. I can eat a lot or a little and how much I exercise, what I eat, and how much I sleep are big factors into weight loss.

I participate in a weekly support group meeting associated with my surgeon's office. The first week our homework was to write down our motivation for having surgery and losing weight. We made copies of this and posted it where we could see it often.

I don't have a problem with eating. However, if I don't get 45-60 minutes of hard exercise 4-5 times a week I don't lose weight. I had to totally change my lifestyle to get up at 3:00am, drive an hour and meet a workout buddy close to work for that exercise. It sucks some days, but I do it twice a week. In addition, I gave up weekly massages to pay for a personal trainer I meet with once a week and he kicks my B&&& into gear.

Give yourself credit for all you have done. Then take it to the next step and find the motivation to get walking, swimming, whatever. Start with twice a week. If you see results it will motivate you further to kick it up.

I wish you the very best............

Before I had good restriction, it was very depressing. I felt like a failure and like it would never work for me. Nothing had really changed.

Now that I have restriction, it's like the difference between night and day. Things are really starting to get much better. I can't eat anything like I used to and I don't want to.

It's absolutely great -- and it will happen for you. Get your fills, eat as healthy as possible, exercise to the extent that you are able. But be patient! Big changes will happen when you have restriction -- that's when the Lap-Band actually starts to work! Please don't give up before the miracle!

For me the key to exercising is variety. I know I will get bored if I do the same thing all the time. Just this past week I joined LA Boxing and really like it. But on top of that I go to the gym, play tennis or just go for a nice walk. In this way I don't get bored and am less likely to stop exercising because of boredom.

On another note I just have to share I was banded June 28, 2010 and this morning reached 30lbs lost!!

Or you could just give yourself permission to lose at the rate you are and be satisfied with that. Like Bob said 82 pounds a year, there is nothing wrong with that.

This band journey can be anything you want it to be, if you want to not exercise and lose some thats cool or you can work out 2 hours a day, every day, like some people do and lose it all as soon as possible.

Exercising helps but it doesn't make you any better or worse than anyone else. Find your own way and be happy with it. :smile2:

Darlin', this is NOT an easy process...period. I'm in the camp that I don't know that I'd suggest this surgery for everyone. BUT - there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am 6 months out, I've lost 62 pounds - and my beginning weight loss was SLOW.

Having the right fills makes ALL the difference in the world.

Hang in there - I think we have to go through all of these emotions and this process slowly, so that we can come out healthy, in the end!

Please keep in contact with me. I need you. I was banded on 5/4/10. I weighted 256 and pre-op I was 245. My last visit was about 2 weeks ago and I was 228. Do the math--we are in the same boat. I happen to like to exercise and do so 6 days a week. Zumba, low-impact whatever. I also am trying my best. I was filled up to 7.5-I got sick and went down to 7.2 and even here I can eat. I am a hungry girl. I try very hard not to cheat. I eat a small plate full--I do mean full 3x a day and I drink and eat fruit, ice-pops and sucking candy. It is so hard. I went for metabolic testing in my office and guess what? I have a slow metabolism. So that means it's just too bad. My doctor said it's just 1-2 pounds a week and that's just the average. When I went to the doctors and heard people say that they lost 40 pounds the first year I thought not me. I was going to lose 25 pounds every 3 months and stick to a schedule.

Well that didn't work. I also met a woman who lost 50 pounds the first year, and 50 the second year and kept it off the 3rd year. I would love to hear more from you. I plan to try to work at this some more before I get another fill. Honestly at 7.2 I am shocked at how well I can eat. I ate an entire cantaloupe yesterday between meals. I also ate 2 Protein Bars and crackers, and sherbet. All my meals were good size meals. Today I was better. All I know is I would never lose this weight myself with no band.

About the exercise....I, too, can find any and every excuse not to get to the Gym. Over the years, many clubs have benefitted from my membership dues, with me rarely stepping foot in the club. What changed it for me? I have three sessions booked each week with a personal trainer, and I really like him, so I don't want to let him down by cancelling. Expensive? Yes! But when I think of the amount of money I have spent over the years on diet products, gym memberships, etc.,(to say nothing of the cost of the lapband), paying my trainer is worth every single cent! Cheers!:smile2: