Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots of questions / assistance needed

1). I am 16 days post op and started the "pureed" stage yesterday. I tried chicken, carrots and mashed potatoes, I gotta say, the chicken, I did not even touch, I couldn't do it. I did have a few spoons of mashed potatoes and also the carrots. I am not liking the pureed stage. I start soft foods on Tuesday and honestly, don't think I will be doing a lot of pureed foods this week. I am fine with Soups, my chobani yogurt, Protein shakes and etc. Did anyone else not do well with pureed foods?

2.) I dropped 18.5lbs since my pre-op diet and feel like the last week or so, my scale hasn't moved. I'm not sure why. I have been tracking my calories, and they are around 500-600 a day. I ran yesterday and burned about 280 calories, do you think I need to increase my calories at this point?

3). I do not feel any restriction.... Is that normal not to feel that way? I am really not that hungry, so when I eat, I'm ok after a few bites.... I wonder if it's more mental than anything else? I'm wondering if I will feel different after my 1st fill. It is scheduled for 8/3.

Thanks for listening, I don't know why, but I feel like I'm missing something!

Hi there! I guess I'm right behind you! I'm getting ready to start pureed food. Right now, I'm not even sure I want to make the change... I'm doing well with my shakes and Soup. I still don't feel hungry at all, so I guess it doesn't bother me. But, obviously I'm going to have to eat normal food eventually, so the baby steps are necessary. The idea of puree-ing everything kinda grosses me out. let me know how it goes for you!

I knew there was no way I could handle normal foods pureed in the blender. So I stuck to mashed potatoes, refried Beans, and cream of wheat during the pureed stage.

I dont feel any restriction either but unlike you I am hungry. I can not wait for my first fill to start getting a little restriction (hopefully).

Lucky you not being hungry..Im freakin hungry all the time. Im on day 19 and been on "soft foods" since Saturday but I havnt only stuck with soft foods, Iv had some beef stew but just chewed really well and nibble on some small bites of chicken breast. Iv lost 20lbs since surgery but most of that within the 1st week and half. its very slow now like maybe a pound a week which is slow for me considering I feel like Im not eating anything. nothing seems to satisfy me..i have no restriction..well let me take that back..i did eat some fish and vegges the other night and after about a little over a cup I felt full but with soft foods i dont get full much at all. Thats the worse part!! If I were you I would increase my calories a little more and I bet the scale will start moving for you soon...its frustrating but it will happen! Great job with the running..I am so not a runner.

I totally skipped the pureed diet. I could not do it either. I just made sure to take really small bites and chew, chew, chew. I went straight from full liquids to soft foods.

I also lost weight during the pre-op diet, but didn't really lose any more until after my second fill. I've had 3 fills now, and didn't really feel restriction at all until the 3rd fill. I'm almost to my sweet spot, hoping to get one more small fill. I'm told that's all normal.

I was banded on 5/17/10 and have 7.5 ccs in a 10 cc band.

Hang in there, it will start coming off!

Nicole, you may want to be careful with what you eat and do not eat things before you are supposed to. I am 4 weeks post op tomorrow and I did the same exact thing. I was hungry and wanted to eat something so I started eating things about a week before I was supposed to. People warned me not too, but I took it a little at a time and nothing happened so I thought I was just fine. Well this past Thursday I started getting really bad sharp pains in my chest that hurt terribly and I all of a sudden couldn't eat very much at all. Then Sunday night I woke up with slime in my mouth and had to rush to the bathroom to vomit. Then Monday morning I dry heaved for about 5 minutes. I called the Doctor and they got me in right away Monday morning. He told me that I had either been eating too fast, too much, or something I wasn't supposed to. (it was probably all 3 really). He said I must have irritated it and it was probably a little swollen. He took out 2 cc's out of my band. (that is what was in there when I had the surgery) And told me to take it easy and do exactly what I am supposed to do from here on out and I shouldn't have any more problems. I have lost 10 pounds from last Thursday to today. That is nice that I have lost weight but it is really because I can't eat very much at all now. I know that is because I was eating things too soon and eating over the amounts that I was supposed to. Not by much, I thought it was okay if I just went a little over here and there or if I just ate this or that. I WAS SO WRONG! I still have weird chest pains now and then and my stomach makes really weird noises sometimes. I was so weak for a couple of days from not being able to eat. I felt like I was back at the beginning couple of days after surgery. So please take my advice and DON"T OVER DO IT. The progression back to food really is there for a reason and if you speed up the process too fast, you may regret it later. I know I sure do! I am hoping to get it healed and still be ready for my first fill scheduled for next Wednesday so I am being very careful now. Good luck to you and everyone else on this journey! It is not as easy as I thought it was going to be! But I am still staying focused and looking to the future as a slimmer, healthier me and it will hopefully all be worth it in the end!

I know all Dr's are different, but my dr allowed baked white fish (cod, roughy, tilapia) during the pureed stage. In fact hubby and I went out to eat on the puree stage & I ordered baked tilapia with mashed potatoes and applesauce as my sides. I felt so "normal" :smile2:

I was banded on Aug 5th, and had my first post-op visit today; I was promoted to the pureed stage. I made chicken salad and it wasn't too bad, I also pureed some cantaloupe. Then I was still a little hungry so I had a soft boiled egg, I mashed it up very fine with a little "I can't believe it's not butter" little salt and pepper, let me say it was devine! I am too afraid to go outside the guidelines my dr. gave me, I know several people that went to him and they have been very successful and all said they did exactly what he said. I know dr's are different, but like the others I would be careful adding in foods before the time to do so. Congrats on the weight loss!

After 10 days post-op I had a phone appointment with the nurse, she gave me to okay to start pureed foods and move to soft at my own pace and to be eating regular foods (without liquids at meal time) by the time I come in for my first fill. She said to eat until I was full. I had tuna that evening and it was fine. I went out to a mexican restaurant with friends a couple of days later and ordered cheese enchiladas, chewed them well and they were fine, didn't eat all of my food, probably could have but it was taking me too long to eat. From that point on I have had just about anything that I can chew well, haven't tried any red meat yet and no bread, tried bread once and it got stuck (no more for me).

I'm about three weeks away from my first fill, the nurse said I should be able to eat anything and to eat dry by that time. That is where I think I will struggle, I need Water when I eat, it just makes me feel like I'm washing the food down. I feel like it is going to get stuck if I don't push it down with liquid.

Here's a link to a blog I religiously follow. Tons of recipes for all the different stages.

"http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/"

shely shely.....drinking while eating will get you stuck. I have learned the hard way for sure. the first two fills I could drink and eat (yes, I know...bad! haha) but since my third fill, if I even take a sip it is slime city! so please don't learn the hard way...dont drink and eat :thumbup:

Thank you TrishFish, at first I thought drinking was prohibited because it would fill you up, then the nutritionist said it would wash your food away too soon and make you hungry sooner. But she didn't cover the pain part and you are so right. I have gotten stuck a few time and of course take a sip of Water which usually comes right back out. But I never associated it with the pain, ohh the pain. I am going to try and stop grabbing something to drink when I sit down to eat and get myself trained before my first fill.

Just had my Breakfast of cream-of-wheat with no liquid, it fills so wrong not to be sipping something.

And Chickadee81 thanks for the web site link, I'm loving her recipes. Can't wait to do some shopping so I can try some.

This is such a great place to share and learn, I love all of my fellow bandsters.

Hi, Jamelyn! Here is my take on your questions:

1). Yuck . . I never liked pureed food. Like the other poster above, I stuck with mushies like mashed potatoes or refried Beans with cheese, cottage cheese blended with a little skim milk, etc. I also bought some organic baby food during that phase. . the fruit ones were pretty good!

2.) It's normal for your loss to slow down before you get to restriction, and for you to feel hungry. That's called "Bandster Hell." Your calories are really low though -- I might up them a bit, but your focus right now should just be healing.

3). Yup. Totally normal not to feel restriction, and yes that will change after you get a decent fill. It took me four fills to get to good restriction, and the number varies for everyone.

I hope that helps!! You have such a great year (years!) in store for you. Be sure to take your measurements and before pics if you haven't already! You will want them later.

Best wishes,

Catherine