Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

prednisone and overeating

I had a recent sinus infection and the doctor put me on this drug and a antibiotic. I will never take this drug again. It has increased my appetite 10x and it's not worth it to take it even though I felt better for a few days. The after-effect is still with me. I had to literally throw things in the trash that I wouldn't stop eating. I had some sugary Cereal from my granddaughters visit and then bought some cranberry and pecan glaced stuff to put on a salad. Big mistake. I could stop before where I can't now. I never feel that full and it's just changed everything. I hope that it gets out of my system soon. Lesson learned

rpm2010:eek:

That particular drug is generally only used short term anyway. It is a steroid and can cause all sorts of problems if taken long term. It is however invaluable sometimes. my son had it a number of times when he was younger for chronic asthma.

So if your Dr prescribes it again know that it is probably for a really good reason and don't stress too much as you won't be on it for long.

thank you Elcee....I have been in banster hell and this is just adding more to it. I have already finished it a couple of days ago....just feeling frustrated but still trying and can't wait until the third fill...Congradulations on your success...your doing great.:thumbup:rpm2010

That is the WORST drug ever but when you really need it it works wonders. It makes me so hungry and MEAN.

Within a few days you should get control of your appetite again.

Thanks Amanda....I hope everyday that it will get back to normal.....I'm hanging in there trying to keep a positive attitude. :smile:rpm2010

I took prednisone for my skin several times and it made me incredibly hungry. Next time, maybe raise your concern with your doc. and see if there isn't something else you can take. I hope your appetite has subsided.

I too was on it for sinus infection and had the same problems listed here: eating and irritability. Worked like a charm on the infection, but wreaked havoc with my hunger....

thanks for your replies.....VLP...seems like that drug is used for alot of things.

Tracy do you know how long your appetite stayed after finishing the prodnisone? I still have it(appetite) but I have an appointment with a counselor on Friday. How did you deal with it at the time?

rpm2010

I think it lasted about 4 or 5 days after I finished with it. I also had a steroid inhaler that I used as needed. I tried to quell the hunger with Hot Drinks like tea, hot chocolate. I did not always win...LOL I tried to stick with higher Protein "cheats", LF string cheese, a slice of deli meat and things like that. Sometimes we just have to ride it out.:smile2:

I can sooooo relate to you. I am in banster hell. I was banded JUly 19th. I have cancer and last week I had to go for my annual CT scans w/contrast(used to be every 3 mths) Im allergic to the dye so I need to take high doses of Prednisone 3 days prior to being tested. I also had to drink 3 bottles of barium. I had forgotten the ravinous hunger associated with it. I have been so hungry since Sat. I keep walking in the kitchen opening the fridge and cabinets looking for something & anything but nothing quenched my craving. All I have is healthy stuff so in a way that was good. Too much of healthy stuff also comes with alot of calories. I increased my exercise past couple of days to burn some of those extra calories and so far this evening seems 2b a little better but Evenings are usually my breaking point. I dont remember how long it usually last but hang in there. Please keep me posted as I will. We can get thru this together.

Thanks Isa Bella and Tracy. I have just been binge eating compared to what I was doing. I have gained a couple of pounds so I hope this is over soon. I can't imagine Isa Bella what that must be like for you.....you have shown me what strength is and I admire you for that. I hope you have a speedy recovery. I know what you mean about continuing to go to the frig and nothing but healthy. I finsihed the sugary cereal that was for granddaughter and glazed cranberries and pecans(shouldn't have bought) and the rest of the thin pretzels I bought (don't know why)so maybe now I can stop...good luck on your journey and keep in touch. rpm2010

Last night was a little easier although I found some grahm crackers & had about 4. I really did not want them but they are like crack. I know that keeping myself full with liquids like Tracy does help alot but last nights battle winner was the "crack" grahm crackers) so then I went for a 2 mile with with my dogs. Every morning I begin w/a 2 mile walk wth my dogs. I love the cool, calm & peacfulness of the early morning and I always thank God for this new day, its beauty & its light & THE CHANCE TO BEGIN AGAIN :thumbup: Each day will only get easier as we grow stronger. Wishing everyone a beautiful day.