Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any September 2010 bandsters to be out there?

I'm set for Sept 27! Now, I just hope I don't catch my DH's cold. He has been sleeping of the sofa so as not to infect me. I hope it works.

Had my surgery on Sept 14. The pain was not to bad. But seeing as I am never the normal. They did the barium swollow the next morning and I was the one out of the 5 he did that my stomach was irritated from the surgery and the barium barely made it though, so I had to stay on Clear Liquids for 4 more days. Got home and tried to take the 2 tbsp of tylenol and that didn't go well. So avoided pain meds. Did have the gas pain. Today is a better day. Started strained cream of chicken Soup. Never knew it tasted so good. All I can say is I am so thankfull for this web site it made me realize I am not alone and others have these issues. I spent the first 2 days post surgery very depressed because eveyone that had it before me at the Dr.s were like it was fine no problems. So I kept questioning myself if I did the right think. So thank you all for your posting about your surgery the good and the bad that can happen, it has been so helpfull.

Are there two September threads?

My surgery date is September 28th and I'm on day six on my liquid diet. It's really hard and I'm soooo hungry. I've cheated a few times and had a small bowl of Soup, but otherwise, I'm really sticking with it.

Yes there are 2 threads. This one is alittle different. I am on day 6 of my preop fast. Day 2 was the hardest for me, but I got thru it with flying colors. I have not cheated once. I keep telling myself it is worth it in the end. I have had several distractions while I have been on my fast. But I am down 7 1/2 lbs as of this morning.

Yes there are 2 threads. This one is alittle different. I am on day 6 of my preop fast. Day 2 was the hardest for me, but I got thru it with flying colors. I have not cheated once. I keep telling myself it is worth it in the end. I have had several distractions while I have been on my fast. But I am down 7 1/2 lbs as of this morning.

I'm going to try to go this last week without cheating. I know it will make the surgery safer and it's definitely encouraging to see others doing it too.

On Tuesday is my BIG day. Am I ready no. I'm so going to miss food, I feel like crying just writting this. But I know it's the best thing for me. I can't wait to run. I'm 322 and hate it. Food to me is like being in love with the love of your life. And now food has died and I'm so sad. But I know God is here for me and I'm praying on it. Sorry everyone I'm just venting. I'm cool now. Peace everyone God Bless u all.

I just feel awful. I have been on the pre op diet for 7 full days. I haven't cheated, and I have only lost 1 lb. I see so many post of losing 5-7 lbs or even more in that first week. I'm worried they will see my weight hasn't really changed and say they won't do the surgery. I'm worried that maybe the band won't work if I'm not losing weight on the pre op diet.

I just feel awful. I have been on the pre op diet for 7 full days. I haven't cheated, and I have only lost 1 lb. I see so many post of losing 5-7 lbs or even more in that first week. I'm worried they will see my weight hasn't really changed and say they won't do the surgery. I'm worried that maybe the band won't work if I'm not losing weight on the pre op diet.

That's one of my worries too. I know my ticker says that I've lost 8 lbs, but that's 8 lbs from my heaviest a couple of months ago. Since I've been on my pre-op diet for a week now, I've only lost two lbs. I too see where everyone else has lost a lot more during the liquid diet phase and it's very discouraging when you can barely lose 2 lbs. I've been weighing myself on a freight scale here at work, and today, I just don't even want to go out there.

Hello ladies!!!

Good luck to one and all getting banded!!! And hope to hear from you slinky September banders in a year's time?

It's tough at time of op - but oh so worth it - you guys that are struggling on the pre-op diet bit; remember the diet is LOW FAT in order to shrink your liver so operating is easier and you can have a laproscopic operation; 5 insertions instead of cut wide open...!

Do not worry about the weight bit*** !!! If you are eating lowest fat foods you can - that's fine!? If you are struggling - see your doctor; mine gave me Xenical/ fat pills that stop body absorbing fats (but give you v loose toilet habits!!! Beware LOL!)

(***unless like me you needed to shed over a stone in 10 days in order to lower your BMI to get a cheaper price for op)

Good luck - and smile; welcome to your new life! xxx:thumbup:

Today ends my full liquid diet. I was banded on sept 14th and im down 32lbs so far. I hope that is good. I know i feel it and am starting to see the results. im nervous to go on the solid food diet but excited also to be eating something other than Soup. anyone have any suggestions on the diet? I go for my first fill on 10/21/10.

Today ends my full liquid diet. I was banded on sept 14th and im down 32lbs so far. I hope that is good. I know i feel it and am starting to see the results. im nervous to go on the solid food diet but excited also to be eating something other than Soup. anyone have any suggestions on the diet? I go for my first fill on 10/21/10.

Hi Purplevic.

You are doing great with losing 32 lbs! I'm down 18 Lbs and 3 dress sizes and I'm thrilled with that. I had my surgery on 9/17/10 and will get my first fill on 10/28. I already started full meals and it has not been that easy. I had my first real meal - chicken Parmesan. Even without a fill, I need to eat tiny bites or it is really, really painful as it goes down. Most of the time, I stick with SOFT meals. I mostly stick with ground meat. Here is a recipe that is from Weight Watchers that works great with the band.

Gina’s Crockpot 3 Bean Turkey Chili

Source:Gina's Weight Watcher recipes

• 1.3 Lb. (20 oz) fat free ground turkey breast (Jenny-O)
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (16 oz) can Tomato sauce
  • 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped chilies, drained
  • 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, undrained
  • 1 (15.5 oz) can black Beans, undrained
  • 1 (15.5 oz) can small red Beans, undrained
  • 2 TBSP chili powder

Topping:

• 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro for topping
  • Reduced fat (Kraft 2% milk) shredded cheddar to top (extra pts)

Brown turkey and onion in a medium skillet over medium high heat until cooked through.

Drain any fat remaining and transfer to crockpot. Add the beans, chilies, chickpeas, tomatoes, tomato sauce and chili powder, mixing well.

Cook on low 6-8 hours.

Garnish with onions, cilantro and cheese and enjoy!

Servings: 12  Serving Size: 10.8 oz  Prep Time: 20 minutes  Points: 3.125 ww points

Note: each WW point is = about 50 calories. Also note that recipe said to cook on high 6-8 hours but I cooked it on low 6 1/2 hours and it came out great!

Good luck with your weight loss. You are off to a great start!

Maxi

Edited by maxi2010
typo

Hi, I was banded on 9-28 and am down 24 lbs. It hasn't been hard so far at all for me. Of course I hated the liquid part, but now I go out to eat all the time, order pretty much what I want. I try to be conservative with the calories and of course, the softer things. Not yet doing hamburgers or steak, but meat loaf, baked chicken, chicken salad, even Arbys roast beef sandwich(I just eat the beef and cheese) and 1 or 2 fr fries. I don't have any trouble swallowing, and when I've had enough, that last bite is a little hard to go down. So I stop eating, which is usually 1/3 to 1/2 my plate. Sometimes I just eat off my husband's plate. It's the best feeling in the world to fill up so quickly. Just remember to eat slowly, and take smaller bites and just chew up everything really well. I was told to never eat a yeast roll and you better believe I want.

Everyone seems to be doing pretty good!

I am at 4 weeks out tomorrow and last night was my first "stuck" episode. Let me tell you IT HURT! My face and chest were flushed real bad and I was in pain. I got on here to see what some of the remedies were - tried them all and when that didn't work I just got in the shower and got the Water as hot as I could. That help distract the pain. I was finally able to lay down and go back to sleep. It was crazy - the sliming they described, kinda like when you have a runny nose and it runs down the back of the throat but your nose isn't runny at all. Then the sliming part was crazy - I felt like a dog who tried to eat a toad!

I haven't had ANY problems and was getting pretty confident in eating what I wanted (no bad stuff or bread / rice / Peanut Butter / Pasta / raw vegetables)

But these shrimp, man they did me in. They were just plain boiled shrimp. I guess even if you try to chew them up well they still didn't set well with me.

I'm still sore this morning. I'm timid to eat anything!

Anyone else have an episode with NO restriction?

Everyone seems to be doing pretty good!

I am at 4 weeks out tomorrow and last night was my first "stuck" episode. Let me tell you IT HURT! My face and chest were flushed real bad and I was in pain. I got on here to see what some of the remedies were - tried them all and when that didn't work I just got in the shower and got the Water as hot as I could. That help distract the pain. I was finally able to lay down and go back to sleep. It was crazy - the sliming they described, kinda like when you have a runny nose and it runs down the back of the throat but your nose isn't runny at all. Then the sliming part was crazy - I felt like a dog who tried to eat a toad!

I haven't had ANY problems and was getting pretty confident in eating what I wanted (no bad stuff or bread / rice / Peanut Butter / Pasta / raw vegetables)

But these shrimp, man they did me in. They were just plain boiled shrimp. I guess even if you try to chew them up well they still didn't set well with me.

I'm still sore this morning. I'm timid to eat anything!

Anyone else have an episode with NO restriction?

Hi Piperboo.

It sounds similar to an experience I had. Except mine did not last as long.

I was eating chicken cutlet for dinner. I thought I was taking fairly small bites. All of a sudden after about 10 bites I began to feel pain between my breasts, my face turned red, I became nauseous and my mouth began to salivate. I was worried that I would vomit but, thankfully, I did not.

It was a terrible feeling and I was not sure how to handle it. I did not leave the dinner table as you did. I just sat there feeling nauseous and in pain. I could feel the food going slowly down past the point where the LAP-BAND®® is located and it hurt as it moved down into my gut. I just sat at the dinner table looking pained.

My husband kept looking at me from time to time and shaking his head. He didn't know what to do for me. This lasted about 15 minutes or so. Once it was over, I felt 100% better. I waited a few minutes but then I began to eat MUCH SMALLER pieces of chicken and had no further problems.

The crazy thing is that I was banded on 9/17/10, about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I won't get my first fill until 10/28. This all happened without any fill in my band. If I have this problem before my fill, what will I experience after my fill?

Has anyone else have this experience and know how to handle it? I'm worried this will happen again as this was not a pleasant experience.:smile2:

Maxi

Hi Purplevic.

You are doing great with losing 32 lbs! I'm down 18 Lbs and 3 dress sizes and I'm thrilled with that. I had my surgery on 9/17/10 and will get my first fill on 10/28. I already started full meals and it has not been that easy. I had my first real meal - chicken Parmesan. Even without a fill, I need to eat tiny bites or it is really, really painful as it goes down. Most of the time, I stick with SOFT meals. I mostly stick with ground meat. Here is a recipe that is from Weight Watchers that works great with the band.

Gina’s Crockpot 3 Bean Turkey Chili

Source:Gina's Weight Watcher recipes

• 1.3 Lb. (20 oz) fat free ground turkey breast (Jenny-O)
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 (16 oz) can Tomato sauce
  • 1 (4.5 oz) can chopped chilies, drained
  • 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, undrained
  • 1 (15.5 oz) can black Beans, undrained
  • 1 (15.5 oz) can small red Beans, undrained
  • 2 TBSP chili powder

Topping:

• 1/2 cup chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro for topping
  • Reduced fat (Kraft 2% milk) shredded cheddar to top (extra pts)

Brown turkey and onion in a medium skillet over medium high heat until cooked through.

Drain any fat remaining and transfer to crockpot. Add the beans, chilies, chickpeas, tomatoes, tomato sauce and chili powder, mixing well.

Cook on low 6-8 hours.

Garnish with onions, cilantro and cheese and enjoy!

Servings: 12  Serving Size: 10.8 oz  Prep Time: 20 minutes  Points: 3.125 ww points

Note: each WW point is = about 50 calories. Also note that recipe said to cook on high 6-8 hours but I cooked it on low 6 1/2 hours and it came out great!

Good luck with your weight loss. You are off to a great start!

Maxi

thank you and wow 3 dress sizes, that is awesome.

thank you for the recipe, it sounds good, i might have to make that tomorrow!