Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the deal with Chicken!?

So, chicken is one of my favorite foods. Of course I'm not frying it, but I do love to smoke chickens. I am having a hard time with smoked or baked chicken after chewing then chewing some more it starts to get stuck. I'm really struggling because I do not want to have to give it up, but I am going to have my fourth adjustment next week and if I am having a hard time getting it down now, what's going to happen when I am a little tighter other than getting stuck stuck...does any one have any advice?

I have a hard time with chicken also. It has to be very juicy inside, I cannot microwave left overs. I can only have it later in the day. M-

That is a strange deal, I can chomp down a rib eye (not filled yet) no problem I say chomp but it's really really small pcs and chew chew chew. but even puree on the chicken and its getting stuck/tight what ever you call it, It does not want to go down. had it come up too, even slow mo on the down side. it just doesn't like the ride I guess.

My PA told me too only eat dark meat as it is juicier. I am having trouble with most meats. Deli meat is fine, but a burger or cutlet and I am in trouble. Pork is a huge NO NO for me. I can do steak most of the time. Go Figure! If something doesn't work, I give it a rest and try it again a few weeks later. Sometimes it is Ok, sometimes not.

I have had trouble with chicken myself. I went to cracker barrel yesterday and had their roasted chicken. It was really juicy and went down okay. If it is even slightly on the dry side, it won't go down well at all.

Hi,

Depressing, isn't it? I have tiny bites of chicken with lots of salad or mashed sweet potato on my fork. That's the only way it goes down!

Good Luck!

It is extremely depressing. I havent had any trouble with deli meat or hamburger. I'm going to try eating the chicken with salad or mashed taters to see if that helps.

I know what you mean about chicken, but, I find that I can eat chicken thigh but NOT breast!

The breast can be stringy and the grain runs long (think thats how you describe it?) but the thigh is a more tender part.

I still have to cut it up really small and I know its not as lean as breast, but give the thigh fillets (skinless) a try. Works for me :lol:

i had my first pb after eating reheated chicken breast meat -- will never do that again!! doc said to stay away from reheated chicken and if possible just eat the dark meat (jucier). i have tried chicken tenders lightly griled and they are more tender than just the breast. for my chicken fix, i buy 99% fat free ground chicken breast and make it into patties adding onion, BBQ Sauce, grated cheese etc. it makes it tastier and jucier. i usually grill it and add lots of ketchup. it goes down easier and most importantly stays down.

as far as fruit goes, i have a problem eating plums. i guess they are just too dense for me. i stick to melons -- they go down very easily!

chicken is difficult because most of the time it is over cooked to ward off salminella poisening. the trick is to not over cook it. I usually bake my cutlets (floured-egged-breadcrumbs) for 18 mins @ 350. If they are thick I pound them out a lil. Always perfect. when I reheat I add a lil marinara and part skim mozzerella, and I warm it in the toaster oven. works for me. I hope it helps!

I eat chicken all of the time. In fact I live on it. Sometimes we have to learn to cook things differently. Just a bit of advice to everyone, if you have a slow cooker (Crock pot) put your chicken and whatever other meats you want to cook in there and they come out very juicy and tender. Chicken can be very dry so you might want to add a little gravy to it, or even some chicken broth, just to make it moist. Also if you are going to bake your chicken, roll it in some whole wheat flour first. It tends to keep in the moisture.

+1 for the dark meat unless the white meat is marinated. Also try sauces. I can scarf down saucy chicken wings, but give me a dry McDonald's chicken nugget and it will come right back up. At work I have a bottle of heinz 57, BBQ Sauce, and italian dressing in the fridge. If I run into some tricky chicken, I usually dip it in one and it goes down fine.

Edited by Janiece

I can eat chicken, as long as it's moist and juicy - I do really well on rotisserie chicken and chicken salad.

Otherwise, no chicken here either.

I dont know what it is about chicken, I could eat it fine until my last fill, but no more. I think that somehow once chicken is chewed it becomes starchy and gluey... I also can no longer eat a hamburger patty, I do ok with taco meat or in some kind of gravy or sauce, but plain burger, no dice. Each fill what I can eat changes a bit, it is all a big learning process. Hang in there.