Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What if this isn't enough?

Well I sit here with all the hope I have been able to muster in years...knowing that I will be banded in September. I feel full of hope and excitement knowing this COULD be the answer for me....

then I read the posts where bandsters have gained their weight back, or that it isn't working well for them...and I'm back to feel sad and worried that I will be let down...

I know that it is a tool....but what if it works like every other thing I've tried and it works until I loose motivation or until I learn to trick myself....

Ugh...now I'm wondering if it is even worth it...why build myself up to just get let down again if I can't be strong enough?:cursing:

Well I sit here with all the hope I have been able to muster in years...knowing that I will be banded in September. I feel full of hope and excitement knowing this COULD be the answer for me....

then I read the posts where bandsters have gained their weight back, or that it isn't working well for them...and I'm back to feel sad and worried that I will be let down...

I know that it is a tool....but what if it works like every other thing I've tried and it works until I loose motivation or until I learn to trick myself....

Ugh...now I'm wondering if it is even worth it...why build myself up to just get let down again if I can't be strong enough?:cursing:

I have been feeling this way for a week or so now and i know its all because i'm focusing on the negative. another member told me: "people who are happy do not keep posting. How many times can they start a thread saying the band is wonderful, it's the best thing I have ever done etc etc. You would soon get bored. Most people that are banded and successful do not spend time on these groups. they go off and happilly live their lives. So you have to remember that you will see what seems like a high proportion of problems."

and that's how i look at it....

This WILL work for me because it is a very powerful tool...you CAN do it. It will work if you do not drink high calorie foods/drinks, eat ice cream or suck on chocolate....you are worth it--we all are .We CAN do it:)

The band is wonderful, it is one of the best things I've ever done for myself, in five and a half months it has helped me drop my weight to a point where movement is easier, my knees don't hurt as much, and I don't worry about swaybacking my horse when I ride her. My clothes are looser, I feel better, and any inconveniences of having the band are so outweighed by the benefits that I can't quite recall what the inconveniences are.

How's that for encouragement? :cursing:

Though it's never a bad idea to read the failure stories, you need to somehow in your mind make them into something positive. I read them before my surgery in May, and yeah, it did scare me. Yes some people do gain their weight back, yes the band doesn't work for some people, but in the end it all comes down to you. In some cases the band does fail people, ie. a slip occurs, erosion, etc. but many times that is due to their own negligence.

You have to be ready and willing to change and to conform to the rules of the band. That means eating properly, exercising, taking your Vitamins, and knowing when you're too tight. The band is enough, but it all depends on how you work it and how ready you are for it.

No matter what WLS you get, there are failures. Lapband, sleeve, gastric bypass, people fail at all of them. If you're ready and willing to make the lifestyle change, I think you'll do fine.

Besides, even when people do gain weight back, the band is always there. One can easily choose to go back to following the rules. That's the joy of WLS.

One thing to keep in mind is that people tend to post when things aren't going well for them. We just don't see a lot of posts from people saying, "This was the best decision I ever made. It's made it possible for me to say 'no' to foods that don't benefit me. I've changed my relationship with food, and it's been tremendously freeing. I've consistently lost weight, and know that, with this tool, maintaining the loss will be possible. And I feel healthy, happy, and --most of all--never deprived."

People tend to post when they need help or feedback or ideas.

But lots of us really do have excellent experiences and feel just like I've written above.

This was the best decision I ever made. It's made it possible for me to say 'no' to foods that don't benefit me. I've changed my relationship with food, and it's been tremendously freeing. I've consistently lost weight, and know that, with this tool, maintaining the loss will be possible. And I feel healthy, happy, and --most of all--never deprived.

Thanks, Betsy. That's exactly how I feel. I tend not to post when I don't have anything new to add, but there are many of us who are just thrilled with our bands.

Cindy

I too felt the same way you do. I'm a self payer, so even more so I worried if this was the right thing. I am still worried about it at times, but I don't let it consume me. I read the negative side of things to help me get a better perspective as to how I should be, and that has helped.

I read where people say they can eat whatever they want and they're not full. Well, we shouldn't be eating whatever we want...we should try eating better, even if we do feel hungry at times.

I've lost 30 lbs in 2 months! I am still amazed that it's happened! What has helped me though is to try and watch for the signs from my body. When I feel satisfied I get up and take my plate/bowl to the kitchen. I'm not stuffed, nor do I ever feel that way any longer because I don't let myself get that way. I never force myself to eat a large amount, I don't even serve myself a large amount any more.

I still go out to dinner, and I share it with my toddler. Usually 3-4 bites for him to my one bite. That has helped a lot! It helps me to breathe in between my bites, and also takes a lot of food off my plate so that I'm not tempted to eat.

Best to you! Keep us posted on your progress!